Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 05:04 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
EXACTLY! The government created the monster of which the poster loathes.

Get government out of business and you get business out of the government.

The vision of the founders was NOT the creation of massive legislation by career politicians!!! The intent was for citizens to take office temporarily and then return to their original profession. On that basis, the founders noted that no legislature would pass that would damage businesses because that was and always would be the livelihood of those temporary holding office.

In fact, our congress never met year round initially so that those in congress could get home and tend to their occupations!
This is one reason I want to do away with pensions for those who hold political office. The founders wanted citizen legislators not career politicians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 05:14 PM

5,381 posts, read 2,840,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This is one reason I want to do away with pensions for those who hold political office. The founders wanted citizen legislators not career politicians.
You, the fact that every member of congress that serves at least one term walks away a pension millionaire is absurd and has led to the corruption politicians use to gain and keep their seats in office.

Government should NEVER be the incubation ground for millionaires. NEVER EVER EVER!!

Old 07-01-2016, 05:15 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,739,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Second that

Old 07-01-2016, 05:15 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Quote:
You, the fact that every member of congress that serves at least one term walks away a pension millionaire is absurd and has led to the corruption politicians use to gain and keep their seats in office.

Government should NEVER be the incubation ground for millionaires. NEVER EVER EVER!!
Many politicians receive several pensions from different offices they held.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Amen to this and the other poster's position on the 16th Amendment, both of which were the brain children of progressive administrations and both of which resulted in a concentration of power and corruption in DC!
16th was me too

Old 07-01-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
EXACTLY! The government created the monster of which the poster loathes.

Get government out of business and you get business out of the government.

The vision of the founders was NOT the creation of massive legislation by career politicians!!! The intent was for citizens to take office temporarily and then return to their original profession. On that basis, the founders noted that no legislature would pass that would damage businesses because that was and always would be the livelihood of those temporary holding office.

In fact, our congress never met year round initially so that those in congress could get home and tend to their occupations!
Mostly as farmers, many will say plantation owners, but at the time, plantations only occurred in Georgia, sc, Virginia....ky, tn, nc had few to no plantations as the crops and terrain did not dictate cotton and sugarcane. Tobacco and corn were family and indentured servant centric.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:25 PM

Everyone, do a google search on federal law. You'll be shocked at the numbers.

I consult on a variety, mostly in healthcare, so I'm very versed in the cfr (federal register).

Why do I mention this? We have 33 amendments to the constitution, yet over 300,000 federal laws.

Old 07-01-2016, 05:31 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Everyone, do a google search on federal law. You'll be shocked at the numbers.

I consult on a variety, mostly in healthcare, so I'm very versed in the cfr (federal register).

Why do I mention this? We have 33 amendments to the constitution, yet over 300,000 federal laws.
I wonder why it takes so much "legal" obfuscation to "protect individual human freedom". That much elitist jargon is only necessary to attempt to "justify" the use of violence and aggression to destroy human freedom in every conceivable way...

Old 07-02-2016, 10:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Protection of property is a RIGHT under the constitution. Property includes intellectual property.
"Intellectual Property" is not mentioned in the constitution, nor are patents.

This is notable, considering that Thomas Jefferson's opinion on the subject was :

http://press-pubs.uchicago.edu/found...a1_8_8s12.html

Quote:
It would be curious then, if an idea, the fugitive fermentation of an individual brain, could, of natural right, be claimed in exclusive and stable property. If nature has made any one thing less susceptible than all others of exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea, which an individual may exclusively possess as long as he keeps it to himself; but the moment it is divulged, it forces itself into the possession of every one, and the receiver cannot dispossess himself of it. Its peculiar character, too, is that no one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole of it. He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. That ideas should freely spread from one to another over the globe, for the moral and mutual instruction of man, and improvement of his condition, seems to have been peculiarly and benevolently designed by nature, when she made them, like fire, expansible over all space, without lessening their density in any point, and like the air in which we breathe, move, and have our physical being, incapable of confinement or exclusive appropriation. Inventions then cannot, in nature, be a subject of property.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:31 PM

2,661 posts, read 3,859,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
These are not arguments for market fundamentalism. Quite the opposite!

Its bad now and will get horrendous under policies that skyrocket wealth and income into the hands of the plutocracy. Regular folks would just be door mats with no power and living under pure tyranny.
Your premise is just plain false and dare I say "Fake news."
Apparently you desire a system where un-elected bureaucrats replace the "evil rich."

As shown throughout history numerous times, that type of system just brings everyone down.
I prefer the system we have today where generally tomorrow's world is better than today's due to free market innovation, capitalism figuring out solutions. Everyone's level rises. It will be true that some folks levels will rise more than others. So what???

My suggestion to the Bernie Sanders loving public - Stop being so envious and greedy of others and concentrate om making your own way.

Last edited by ccjarider; 06-13-2019 at 02:45 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies