Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 08:21 AM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

That the common people still have a voice.. and it is being heard.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:22 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,280,259 times
My life isn't perfect. I've had many difficulties along the way as I assume many of you have.

What makes me proud? What this country offers me. I can only compare to other countries from what I read in the media since I don't live there, but there is so much in the US for me. I am proud to see people who will risk their lives so I can live in comfort - from local police/fire to the military (my daughter is a Captain and nurse in the Army). I feel as protected as I possibly can, as it seems everyone at all levels tries to make this country better and safer for all, despite all of the finger pointing and blaming etc.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:12 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,944 times
I'm proud that the US today is a better place for more Americans than it has ever been before:
  • We've moved from a nation where only white males who owned a certain amount of property had political and legal rights to one that grants political and legal rights to all citizens.
  • We've moved from a nation where some people owned other people, either as actual property (slaves) or virtual property (wives and children), to a country that recognizes all people own themselves and have their own rights.
  • We have absorbed millions upon millions of immigrants into the US who were very different from the "Americans" living in the US at the time of their coming, and eventually we not only made them "Americans", but became a better society for the diversity. The process continues today despite claims by some to the contrary.
  • We held our country together in the face of a major rebellion and we even held 2 national elections during that rebellion: two Congressional elections (1862 and 1864) and a presidential election (1864). We remain the only democratic nation to ever do that.
  • We responded to the worst economic crisis before or since by creating mechanisms to prevent future economic catastrophes and to ease individual suffering in hard economic times rather than resorting to scapegoating ethnic/racial/religous minorities or to militaristic nationalism.
  • Our national parks system celebrates its 100th birthday this year. From Acadia to Yosemite, that's something to be proud of.
  • We have developed a national conscience in the last fifty years. We have recognized our failings as a nation, particularly when dealing with racial/ethnic/religious minorities or with other marginalized groups like women and gays, and have tried to do better. That doesn't sit well with some Americans but the first step towards making progress is recognizing your failings and errors.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:22 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,586,452 times
Sorry, I can't think of anything since the Fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.

It's all downhill since then.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:41 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,524,115 times
Is this a trick question?

Old 07-02-2016, 09:45 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
I am proud that we are a nation that uses the thug government to impose our will upon our neighbors. I am proud that we are a nation of thugs, tyrants, and sociopaths that believe we have a right to initiate force upon our neighbors with government force. I am proud that we offer up ourselves as slaves to a fictional collective. I am proud that we believe that we are all insects serving the Queen, the Almighty Holy State, above our own interests. I am proud that human freedom is viewed as disgusting and that we embrace servitude to the fictional collective. I am proud that we turned the experiment of human freedom into the nightmare of human bondage. Carry on, nothing to see here, back to the cattle chutes erected by the puppet government owned by its financiers. Back to bludgeoning your neighbor to impose your personal will upon them...

Old 07-02-2016, 09:57 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The Constitution with its Bill of Rights.

The Rule of Law.

The orderly succession of power.

Opportunities for success.

The willingness to be open to change (I'm thinking about LGBTQ rights here--so much progress that wouldn't have happened if people weren't willing to reexamine beliefs.)

The live-and-let-live attitude.
All of which are threatened, if the "progressives" and their allies turn our nation into a one-party faux democracy modeled upon Mexico. And continue to try to silence the dissenters via the Fascism known as Political Correctness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieBoy View Post
I don:t see this thing working much longer. We have less and less in common and sometimes we treat each other like caca. I cannot see that changing. The only remedy is to club the so called conservative movement into submission -- club them like baby seals. They HAVE to get the message that they are holding this country back.
Thank You, Exhibit 'A'

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 07-02-2016 at 10:12 AM..

Old 07-02-2016, 10:01 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,091,022 times
I am so proud that people will fight for what they know is right.

Old 07-02-2016, 10:05 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Seeing the first black president in my lifetime makes me proud. Also, knowing that white supremacy is slowly but surely losing its grip on America is refreshing.

God bless the USA!!!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:07 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
Constitution...hahaha

The Constitution and the "bill of rights" are only beneficial to people, not citizens/subjects. "Our" government is nothing but an immoral aggressor upon the individuals and their natural rights. The entire purpose and intent of the Constitution was destroyed long, long, long ago.

"Our" government does NOTHING but DESTROY individual natural human rights with every "law" that they pass. It is the exact opposite of the just form of government that was attempted to be created. And as it applies to the current crop of thugs and tyrants posing as "representatives", they are all right-wing barbaric authoritarians doing NOTHING but creating more and more "laws" to initiate force and destroy freedom with every "law" and "policy" that they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies