Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 02:04 PM

2,953 posts, read 2,900,805 times

Advertisements

If this woman is disoriented and combative resulting from a teeny alarm, what happens with turbulence at 30,000 ft? Thank goodness this happened with male security around. What are petite airline attendants suppose to do when she goes all silverback??? At some point, this point, too much is being asked.

Israeli security is top notch but it relies heavily on profiling, profiling on everything. Profiling on race, religion, destination, name, personality, everything.

I'm for profiling. That said, to call a spade a spade, I guess Jews are for profiling when it doesn't include themselves
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 05:00 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMMom View Post
OK, I missed that part of the story. I thought she must have had an internal plate that set the alarm off, in which case that would be predictable. However, the point about the girl herself carrying a physician's note stands. And it should indicate the hearing/vision loss, as well as the tendency to get agitated/confused easily. This is no different than being prepared for the unexpected when traveling with someone on the autism spectrum. You must be prepared for something to go awry and have a contingency plan. It stinks that this family had to learn that the hard way and the TSA needs to do some serious self-examination.
The girl tried to get away because she was being physically assaulted. If the TSA agents would not listen to the mother, what makes you think they would give the girl time to produce paperwork from a doctor? I have seen nothing that says the girl has a tendency to get agitated or confused easily. She had been through the same airport many times before without incident.

Old 07-04-2016, 07:30 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I knew it, and I'm from Appalachian stock.
Born, raised, and currently living the heart of Appalachia.

And I knew it, too.

The arrogant presumption displayed by some of the lesser educated in here is sickening.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:02 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Well there are plenty of jobs available that start in that $12 to $15 range in the Ardmore area. Michelin pays around $15 or more I think to start and they hire very regularly. Several warehouses around here start in that range and they hire constantly. Almost anybody that employs around here outside of Walmart and some fast food places have to pay that just to get anyone interested in working. I know of some of them that hire people just getting out of prison.

Michelin has a contractor that will hire anyone that walks up to load tires onto truck trailers. They might only get 4 hrs of work or so a day but they can load 10,000 tires in that time and fetch 0.02 cents a tire. Thats a pretty good pay check for 4 hrs work. Its brutal, hot work during the summer, not so bad in the winter.

Working for Texas cities also pay in that range to start and can wind up being a pretty good job and retirement.

I don't know what the refineries up in Tulsa pay but the ones at Wynnewood and Ardmore pay closer to $30 to start. Tougher job to land because of competition but they hire fairly regularly.

Maybe this is why Ardmore is seeing such an influx of people. I know I talked a friend of mine into moving down there. He was grinding out a miserable existence on min wage in another state and there wasn't a job around that paid any better. It was just a bad area economically speaking. He went to work for Michelin immediately and is now making over $20 an hour. I guess the only downside is he has to live in the Ardmore area. Not a terrible place to live....the city management is crap though.

Now I don't keep abreast of the job situation in this town but I did just see one of the above employers advertising a couple weeks go. When they do that it generally means they are hiring a load of people.
My brother still lives in Tulsa- I moved to australia form there in 2013 Tulsa is having a hard time now job wise. IDK about Ardmore I do know their crime rate is pretty high for a smaller city.

Old 07-04-2016, 08:35 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansProof View Post
If this woman is disoriented and combative resulting from a teeny alarm, what happens with turbulence at 30,000 ft? Thank goodness this happened with male security around. What are petite airline attendants suppose to do when she goes all silverback??? At some point, this point, too much is being asked.

Israeli security is top notch but it relies heavily on profiling, profiling on everything. Profiling on race, religion, destination, name, personality, everything.

I'm for profiling. That said, to call a spade a spade, I guess Jews are for profiling when it doesn't include themselves
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...emphis-airport

"Seeing the scene begin to unfold, Shirley hobbled to a supervisor standing nearby. 'She is a St Jude’s patient, and she can get confused,' she said. “Please be gentle. If I could just help her, it will make things easier.”

"The brain tumor had left Hannah blind in one eye, deaf in one ear and partially paralyzed, so when the guards grabbed each of her arms, it startled her, she said. 'I tried to push away,' she said. 'I tried to get away.'

"The next morning – now two days without their belongings, which had made the flight home – the pair appeared before a local judge, who asked the accused to explain herself.

When Hannah responded, the judge said: 'You’re going to have to speak up.'

That’s when Hannah looked up and her hair fell back from her face, revealing her unseeing eye, surrounded by cuts and contusions."

"'The judge’s eyes got big and round,' Shirley said."

The judge recommended they get legal representation, the charges were subsequently dropped, and court charges were refunded.

Please explain how anyone could "profile" this young woman and come up with an impression of "possible terrorist".

Old 07-04-2016, 11:06 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,628,754 times
Quote:

Don't you ever get tired of shooting your mouth off without having any idea what you're talking about? Most people would be embarrassed to make such a spectacle of themselves even once, but you just keep coming back again and again.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:17 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
That's one heck of a blanket statement to make, I shudder reading that and thinking people really embrace this. Where did you get that from, an old Star Trek move? Fortunetly we don't live in country that totally embraces collective rights and controls, go back to the failed Soviet model for that, you know that obsolete failed political state from the previous century? Pick up the Bill or Rights when you get a chance - see if it deals with collective or individual rights.

It's unclear if the police or TSA knocked her to the ground. If the TSA did she not only can sue them but charge them with criminal assault. TSA are in no way, shape, or form law enforcement officers and are subject to the same rules as us. If they have any issues they call police then stand back and get out of the way, at least that is there instructions - I suspect it was overly aggressive local police.
Memphis is a dysfunctional town anyways (me living just across the border), weather it's the local police or federal employees they have the distinct disadvantage of being products of the Memphis school board educational system. It's a wonder any of them can even read or write.
She can file a criminal complaint against the TSA, and the prosecutor in that case would be the buttwipe who charged her with assault. So not likely to happen, especially given it's been a year & said prosecutor hasn't done anything to those who assaulted the girl.

I'd love to be on the jury for this one, because unlike you, I can totally see TSA agents getting grabby & assaulting someone - they dress like cops & act like they are law-enforcement & generally get all the protections afforded law enforcement & it really sticks in their collective craws when "civilians" point out that they aren't cops & have no business laying hands on anyone.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:33 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
She can file a criminal complaint against the TSA, and the prosecutor in that case would be the buttwipe who charged her with assault. So not likely to happen, especially given it's been a year & said prosecutor hasn't done anything to those who assaulted the girl.

I'd love to be on the jury for this one, because unlike you, I can totally see TSA agents getting grabby & assaulting someone - they dress like cops & act like they are law-enforcement & generally get all the protections afforded law enforcement & it really sticks in their collective craws when "civilians" point out that they aren't cops & have no business laying hands on anyone.
You wouldn't get on the jury with the TSA defense attorney. Plain and simple.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:22 AM

1,906 posts, read 2,038,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
My brother still lives in Tulsa- I moved to australia form there in 2013 Tulsa is having a hard time now job wise. IDK about Ardmore I do know their crime rate is pretty high for a smaller city.
lol, everyone says this but I am born and raised in the area and I cannot name a single person that I know that lives in Ardmore that has been robbed or shot or really anything. I see a drug problem, mostly meth, that people connected to that lifestyle have a near complete lock on the crime rate. Its real simple. If you don't get involved in illegal drugs then the chances of you being involved in a crime in Ardmore is extremely low.

You get a small population of people and toss in a few drug related crimes it can really screw up the crime stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You wouldn't get on the jury with the TSA defense attorney. Plain and simple.
That would depend on how they answered the questions.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:41 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,391,712 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Don't you ever get tired of shooting your mouth off without having any idea what you're talking about? Most people would be embarrassed to make such a spectacle of themselves even once, but you just keep coming back again and again.
Though I dont know what Jewish people, profiling and Israeli security have to do with this incident, he does have a valid point- however, badly worded about the risk of the person being very agitated by something else on the plane. At the end of the day, flying may not be the best travel choice for everybody all the time.

As another poster mentioned, "even the flatest pancake has two sides". The family could have just realized that the person was too agitated to get through security (good, bad, right or wrong), and then just walked away and flown another day.

Last edited by Cryptic; 07-05-2016 at 06:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies