Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 05:46 AM

9,569 posts, read 5,619,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Not once have I heard Obama mention the debt or the deficit. Must be another thing he is blaming Congress for.
Why not? Congress controls the purse strings and last time I checked the Republicans are in control !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 05:53 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,209,554 times
I have watched the GOP increase debt and blame the Dems. for many decades. Here in NC the GOP has forced the population to take on debt just for maintenance of public property. They like to use the line that oh it is not an increase in debt because old debt just paid off would just continue.

To me that means an increase in debt brought on by their flat tax and austerity.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:18 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Excuse me as I introduce a dose of reality:

The nation's finances are controlled almost exclusively by the house of representatives. A governing body solidly in the hands of the GOP for the past six years and 18 of the past 22 years.

Characterizing GOP governance as "left wing" is incredibly perverse.
I respectfully disagree.

The House puts together a budget.

The SENATE does the same.

Remember harrry reid for what 6 years or so, "WE DON'T NEED A BUDGET"

They then get together and "compromise".

Once the budget is passed it goes to the president to either sign or veto.

After that, it is OUT of their hands.

Once it becomes 'law" the PRESIDENT as the chief executor "runs" the country.

The President has a LOT of latitude on how the money will be spent.

He can move money from one account to another.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:22 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
The country is swimming in debt yet alot of people,mostly Republicans, dont seem to mind that a billionaire like Trump pays almost no taxes. Go figure!!!
"mostly Republicans, dont seem to mind that a billionaire like Trump pays almost no taxes"

Prove it!

How many real tax cuts have the dems proposed?

They had COMPLETE control of the government, the W.H., the Senate AND the House.

What did they do to cut taxes or change the tax laws?

Your indignation is a sham!

Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
Not left wing or right wing but futures drove the pound back to its low mark and treasury bonds had a huge sell off overseas this morning. Being tied to mortgage rates, well, let's see what happens.

No knee jerk reaction and people shouldn't abandon the bond market but that is the crux of the whole money supply argument... When/if bonds start a long term yield decline (as has happened as of late), those of us who fear hyperinflation and devalued dollars won't look like chicken littles
I'm not sure what balance sheet you are looking at. If we should have onerous inflation Treasuries will necessarily need to have high yields. Right now the world is satisfied getting pittance for interest, as demands are so high. Hyperinflation is where the world demands ever higher returns to counter future risk.

This is why Greek bonds have to pay such high rates of return.

Greece Government Bond 10Y | 1998-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

With Brexit we again have seen the typical flight to safety - US debt. So rates went down.

If we ever want to raise the value of the USD, we can increase interest rates.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:35 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,541,469 times
The bottom line is: Boomers are retiring and living on a lower income than when they were in their younger years. Millenials will pay higher taxes for the Obamadebt for the rest of their lives.

Too bad, so sad, they voted for O.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:11 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,465,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The bottom line is: Boomers are retiring and living on a lower income than when they were in their younger years. Millenials will pay higher taxes for the Obamadebt for the rest of their lives.

Too bad, so sad, they voted for O.
Most retirees take an income cut, now and forever.

Future taxes no one knows.

I pay no more tax than when Reagan was Chief. And we certainly have more National Debt today. I have always paid my taxes based on my income, not based on National Debt. I never paid more to cover my parent's generational debt. Why should my kids?

Old 07-06-2016, 06:57 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,115,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Read it.
I did. I agree with Hoonose in that you overstate your position. You never actually responded back to him.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:59 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
How about the OLD GUYS continuing wars, these are not bankrupting the U.S. Posts all over the world. My SS and Medicare isn't bankrupting the U.S.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
I'm not sure what balance sheet you are looking at. If we should have onerous inflation Treasuries will necessarily need to have high yields. Right now the world is satisfied getting pittance for interest, as demands are so high. Hyperinflation is where the world demands ever higher returns to counter future risk.

This is why Greek bonds have to pay such high rates of return.

Greece Government Bond 10Y | 1998-2016 | Data | Chart | Calendar | Forecast

With Brexit we again have seen the typical flight to safety - US debt. So rates went down.

If we ever want to raise the value of the USD, we can increase interest rates.
Have you been watching the treasury negative yield?

You can think it'll forever rise but Greece is such a poor example as was Zimbabwe Argentina and Japan.

When people/entities see a declining/negative return on bonds, it fails. Are we there yet? Not quite. To say confidence is not declining is false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies