Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 07:38 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
This thread is about some interesting new scientific results that have been released recently.

Marijuana Compound Removes Toxic Alzheimer's Protein from the Brain

I think it is important to note that this is science, not some political or medical site with an agenda. For those of you who are scientific enough to understand it, here are the nitty gritty details:

Amyloid proteotoxicity initiates an inflammatory response blocked by cannabinoids : npj Aging and Mechanisms of Disease

I don't know how you never-to-be-swayed prohibitionists will be able to refute the science behind this, so you will again have to revert to your tried and true way of dealing with the truth: Ignore It.
God help us.

Another "internet scientist". I review the actual scientific literature every three years (at the behest of the state) for consideration of the "medical" use of pot.

So far, there is not ONE randomized, prospective, double blinded, study with valid statistics that shows a medical benefit of pot. Not one.

What would be helpful? If several states legalized pot, then perhaps valid medical studies could be more effectively conducted. In current political situations, there is an effort to establish that pot has "medical benefits" in a back door route to legalization. Medical clinics should not be flooded with pot heads simply seeking a buzz.

One of the problems in conducting a randomized, prospective study with INHALED pot is that those receiving the actual treatment achieve the expect pot "buzz", while the placebo group does not. How does one conduct a randomized, placebo controlled study when the placebo does not cause the expected "high"? It would be tough. Stoner want a buzz and expect one from the drug, independent of "medical" effects.

Most pot advocates have no clue regarding the physiology and pharmacology of the cannabanoid receptor. Probably the best cannabanoid receptor agonist, regarding analgesic activity, is Tylenol. Yes- Tylenol.

Just say "no" to Tylenol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,086,894 times
And this is the reason we should allow lowlife dope users to lay around all day stoned out as a social statement of freedom?

Um...no...

Proper use of any compound proven to have real medicinal benefits is fine... 100 million Americans enabled to be whacked out to the detriment of the rest of us

No

Is this the weekly I love pot post....?

Old 07-10-2016, 08:49 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,339 times
Libertarian candidate Gary Johnson predicts that President Obama will reschedule cannabis before he leaves office.

If that happens, with California legalizing in November and Canada legalizing next year, it's all over but the shouting for the prohibitionists.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:58 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
God help us.

Another "internet scientist". I review the actual scientific literature every three years (at the behest of the state) for consideration of the "medical" use of pot.

So far, there is not ONE randomized, prospective, double blinded, study with valid statistics that shows a medical benefit of pot. Not one.
God help us is right! You are the most clueless "experts" on the cannabis plant that I have ever encountered.

As an example, which you are sure to ignore, is that you are absolutely WRONG about the non-existence of "randomized, prospective, double blinded, study with valid statistics":

Double-Blind Scientific Tests Of Marijuana Exist Despite Prohibitionist Propaganda | The Weed Blog

Here is actually my favorite, because it is from a government website, which historically you seem to place much faith in (unless, of course, the outcome does not favor your hardcore position, like this one):

A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of Sativex, in subjects with symptoms of spasticity due to multiple sclerosis. - PubMed - NCBI

Quote:
A double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled, parallel-group study of Sativex, in subjects with symptoms of spasticity due to multiple sclerosis.

DISCUSSION AND CONCLUSIONS:
The 0-10 NRS and responder PP analyses demonstrated that Sativex treatment resulted in a significant reduction in treatment-resistant spasticity, in subjects with advanced MS and severe spasticity.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
So,,,THC works as an beta amyloid blocker of sorts? (Yes I am in the medical field and yes, I understood the article, unlike it would seem many of you)
Great News for Alzhiemer's sufferers....Great new that is IF beta amyloid is the key to Alzhiemers Disease, we may have found help! Great news IF beta Amyloids are the problem...... Which has not been fully proven. Which is the problem, no one knows for certain WHAT the key to this disease is yet. It may well be....but bA is only one precursor.....so lets not rush to judge yet

Oh wait I forgot This is America We already have. People are already using the Marijuana issues to further divide themselves. Sad how people in this country have decided to let everything and anything cause a problem.

On the other hand, lets try this.Lets check it out and see. If it works it works, and if not, we can move on, maybe one step in the right direction.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:08 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
On the other hand, lets try this.Lets check it out and see. If it works it works, and if not, we can move on, maybe one step in the right direction.
Great idea! But we have to legalize it first. It is quite difficult to research a Schedule I substance.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:11 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
God help us.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Do the people who are paying you to give them objective counsel know how biased and misinformed you are?

60 Peer-Reviewed Studies on Medical Marijuana - Medical Marijuana - ProCon.org

Last edited by Mr. In-Between; 07-10-2016 at 09:29 PM..

Old 07-10-2016, 09:17 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Willie Nelson seems to have avoided Alzheimer.

Actually, this has been talked about for the last 20 yrs. Those I know some now in their late 60's-70's are showing no signs of dementia or Alzheimer and have smoked most of their lives. Not everyone smokes to get stoned out of their minds, some people can smoke just as others have a beer or two. If one notices it, it's young smokers to take it to the extreme.......along with those who drink too much!

Old 07-11-2016, 09:32 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,526,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Willie Nelson seems to have avoided Alzheimer.

Actually, this has been talked about for the last 20 yrs. Those I know some now in their late 60's-70's are showing no signs of dementia or Alzheimer and have smoked most of their lives. Not everyone smokes to get stoned out of their minds, some people can smoke just as others have a beer or two. If one notices it, it's young smokers to take it to the extreme.......along with those who drink too much!
When I was a teenager in the 70's my Dad caught me with a bag of weed. He was so upset about it I figured he'd never smoked any in his entire life. In 2007 or 2008 we started noticing Dad was having trouble communicating with us. He died with a form of Alzheimer's in 2012. His sister is suffering with early onset Alzheimer's today. His cousin died just a few months ago with a form of Alzheimer's. I don't have any symptoms today but if weed can prevent me (and others) from suffering with this horrible disease I'm all for full legalization right now and our government officials should be too! I believe in GOD's eyes those who use the resources he left for us here on Earth, are not sinners even when the Law doesn't see it that way!

Old 07-11-2016, 10:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,936,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
When I was a teenager in the 70's my Dad caught me with a bag of weed. He was so upset about it I figured he'd never smoked any in his entire life. In 2007 or 2008 we started noticing Dad was having trouble communicating with us. He died with a form of Alzheimer's in 2012. His sister is suffering with early onset Alzheimer's today. His cousin died just a few months ago with a form of Alzheimer's. I don't have any symptoms today but if weed can prevent me (and others) from suffering with this horrible disease I'm all for full legalization right now and our government officials should be too! I believe in GOD's eyes those who use the resources he left for us here on Earth, are not sinners even when the Law doesn't see it that way!
Funny you brought this up! My mom died with dementia, one time she called me she was 72 at the time and made a comment she heard smoking pot cures dementia & Alzheimer, she wanted to know if she should start smoking it. I was so shocked by her comment, because like you she found weed that fell out of my purse and she was not very happy. I wasn't sure at the time what she was talking about, so I brushed it off and told her at her age, it probably wasn't a good idea.......many times I wonder what would have happened if she had tried it. Thankfully, the good Lord didn't make her suffer too long, lots of prayers and family got her through it.

My only issue with MJ laws, is it should not just be for medical use ONLY, just because others can't handle their actions when high. I find medical MJ to be a scam for the people who still want control of who smokes it and marketing. I have no issues with people growing for personal use.......I do have issues with people smoking it around children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies