Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2016, 08:44 PM
mm4 mm4 started this thread

5,711 posts, read 3,977,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I'm for the TPP and plan on voting for Johnson. I've never voted for a liberal in my life, but we're all peas in a pod... Lol

Tariffs and protectionism do not work. Make the markets as free as possible. Yes the big corporations will have the most to gain, but it will effect the ability for small businesses to move into these countries as well.

Trump speaks out of both sides of his mouth, on one side he wants other countries to open their markets to the US, but he wants to close our markets to them. Sorry, that's not going to happen. The TPP is not perfect, but it's better then the market restrictions that exist now, and I don't believe Trump can negotiate better deals.
Not quite. Here is only part of the problem:

_"The Trans-Pacific Partnership Would Empower Corporations to Attack U.S. Policies in Foreign Tribunals and Demand Taxpayer Compensation for Our Environmental, Health and Other Laws"_

"TPP would grant foreign corporation shocking new powers to attack the laws we rely on for a clean environment, safe food and decent jobs. Under TPP, these corporations could sneak around our courts and laws and grab millions in our tax dollars all because they don’t like our laws. How could this be possible? TPP gives foreign firms special privileges – better treatment than local companies. It empowers foreign corporations to drag the U.S. government in front of secretive foreign tribunals comprised of 3 private attorneys authorized to order massive payments. There is no outside appeal to these tribunals dictates. And there is no limit on the laws the corporations can attack or the amount of our tax dollars the government can be ordered to pay when the foreign corporations think that their special TPP rights have been undermined by the laws all of the rest of us have to meet.

"This crazy system of extreme corporate privileges is called the "investor-state" regime. It gives an individual foreign corporation equal status with the entire U.S. federal government - allowing the foreign firms to privately enforce a public treaty. The three corporate lawyers who act as judges are unaccountable to any electorate. And, many rotate between suing governments for corporations and acting as the "judges." They apply the law of TPP and World Bank and UN arbitration rules – U.S. laws and courts are cast aside even though U.S. laws are being attacked."

How the TPP Would Impact Corporate Power Attacks

Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 PM

Default TPP allows foreign corporations to use int'l tribunals to demand taxpayer comp for our health, enviro., and other laws.

Crooked Hillary and Gary Johnson have both said they'll sign it.

How the TPP Would Impact Corporate Power Attacks

Old 07-03-2016, 08:59 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,693,961 times
Ugh it's a tough thing to support TPP after what NAFTA did to our economy. I still support Johnson.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
“I’m a real skeptic when it comes to these trade agreements, that in fact they can be laden with crony capitalism, but based on people that have been advising me that I hold in very high esteem, I’m being told that the TPP would in fact advance free trade and so I would support that document,” Johnson said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lVC4xEK_6E

Gary Johnson and Hillary voters are peas in a pod.

Gary Johnson represents a real alternative for voters who are demoralized by Hillary.
Wow, what a great post...

You conclude that Hillary Clinton and Gary Johnson are effectively the same, which just isn't true, give us a reason why (involving the TPP), then give us a video of Johnson calling Trump racist, which from your posts, is more a problem to you than anything else.

So, assuming what you said is true (and based on this pseudo-Trump ad, your credibility mirrors that of Breitbart or Buzz Feed), Johnson basically just says "based on what I know, I feel the TTP would benefit free trade so I support it." I can't remember for sure but Donald Trump's reason (again, from what I remember; I'd ask you to post a link, but you'll probably give me a different subject when you do so...) for opposing it is basically 'Obama supports it and so do Washington elites so it must be bad.'

At least Johnson's reasoning is thoughtful.

I don't support the TTP. I think there are too many hidden provisions in it and I worry that it won't actually benefit free trade and instead will play favorites to certain industries and corporations. But I respect Johnson's view on this less than Trump or Hillary's reasoning which I feel is rooted in dishonesty or stupidity or a combination of both as the case is.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:04 PM

Default CNN: _"45 times Secretary Clinton pushed the trade bill she now opposes"_ Question: Do you trust her?

It's not the first time that--like Obama--she's lied to you.

45 times Clinton pushed the trade bill she now opposes - CNNPolitics.com

Old 07-03-2016, 09:09 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
I doubt most Democrats trust her. But they're going to vote for her.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:11 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Sure there are winners and losers from it, but there will be far more winners than losers in the US. It's a good deal. I'd like to see her explain why it should be passed instead of seeking political cover. But I understand why she is doing that at this time. American voters are not the sharpest when it comes to economics.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Sure there are winners and losers from it, but there will be far more winners than losers in the US. It's a good deal. I'd like to see her explain why it should be passed instead of seeking political cover. But I understand why she is doing that at this time. American voters are not the sharpest when it comes to economics.
How is giving foreign corporations equal footing to our governing authority, the ability to assail our laws (labor, environmental, occupation health, etc.) in international tribunals in order to demand money from us in compensation to them, "winning"?

Old 07-03-2016, 09:25 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,466,408 times
I Despise Hillary Clinton, And It Has Nothing To Do With Her Gender

Old 07-03-2016, 09:29 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,442,995 times
Con artist Trump's pro-globalization oped: Donald Trump in 2013: 'Leave borders behind and go for global unity'

Quote:
"The future of Europe, as well as the United States, depends on a cohesive global economy. All of us must work toward together toward that very significant common goal," he wrote at the time.
Trump: Europe is terrific place for investment - CNN.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.