Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 11:37 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeetheUSA View Post
I live in a town directly affected by these discharges, and I can tell you- it doesn't always happen. We've never had anything happen like this here. Yes, there are discharges. Lake Okeechobee must stay manageable and keep their lake levels in check. The problem can only be fixed by purchasing the land south of the Lake and allow the water to flow south into the Everglades like it is supposed to.

The algae is disgusting, and our businesses and community are all affected from this disaster. The 4th of July weekend should be a time to enjoy our beaches and waterways. Not this year!
I'm sorta confused as I've spent a few partial winters in the Okeechobee area over the span of many years of snowbirding and each time there, NO ONE was swimming in that lake!

Not as bad a lake as the Salton Sea mind you, but basically the same smelly mess no one would want to submerge themselves in if given any choice.

Did I miss a clean-up of that lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 11:43 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,794,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm sorta confused as I've spent a few partial winters in the Okeechobee area over the span of many years of snowbirding and each time there, NO ONE was swimming in that lake!

Not as bad a lake as the Salton Sea mind you, but basically the same smelly mess no one would want to submerge themselves in if given any choice.

I don't live on the lake- I live in a coastal town on the Atlantic side. The C-24 canal connects Lake Okeechobee to our river/ estuary. You're correct though- nobody swims in their water, and for good reason. It is full of polluted runoff and fertilizer minerals.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:

800 pound allegators feasting on cattle ..........

Sort of reminds me of Gatun Lake in Panama. The local country club puts armed lifeguards in boats to spot and kill allegators so the wealthy and tourists can use the beaches.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:06 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
In January, weeks of heavy rainfall caused Lake Okeechobee to rise to dangerous levels. This lake is a handy disposal site for backpumping of water that is untreated and full of pollutants, fertilizers, and pesticide residue from surrounding agricultural sites. The Army Corps released upwards of 30-billion gallons of water from Lake O through the St. Lucie river. Shortly thereafter, the Florida Department of Health released a public advisory urging residents to avoid contact with the North Fork of the St. Lucie River due to high enteric bacteria levels – a sign of fecal contamination. Experts and activists say the latest algae outbreak is a direct result of runoff from the polluted waters of Lake Okeechobee.

Gov. Rick Scott declared a state emergency for the area, he blamed the federal government for neglecting repairs to the lake's aging ****.

Some residents blamed Scott instead saying he hasn't done enough to curb pollution from farms north of the lake or purchase land farther south where lake waters could be stored and cleaned.

'Guacamole-Thick' Algae Causes Crisis on Florida Coastline - ABC News

MANY FLORIDA BEACHES REMAIN CLOSED AFTER GREEN ALGAE BLOOM
Many Florida beaches remain closed after green algae bloom | abc7chicago.com

We must take care of our water folks! Otherwise, game over!
I just don't understand some of you. You want the federal government out of your state yet want their help when you need them

Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,539,703 times
The army corp of engineers took over these tasks after the Mississippi floods in the 1920s. It's an artifact of history that could be better done by states. For proof, look at the levee system in New Orleans in 2004.

I think local disasters should also be paid for by states. The costs of living in disaster prone areas should be borne by those who choose to live there.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:32 AM

57,230 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I just don't understand some of you. You want the federal government out of your state yet want their help when you need them
The sate allowed the expansion and development to occur and they reaped the benefits from the sugar plantations to the south that interrupt the natural flow of water towards the everglades. They will need to release more water or they will have a disaster on their hands if they get a sudden rainfall.

That looks disgusting and Stuart is a beautiful area, here's another article with an overhead view. The residents can't even go outside because of the stench. Florida isn't alone but they have ignored the consequence of development and water pollution, it is a resource with limits. Anytime the Army Corp tries to "fix nature" it never turns out well.

Quote:
He said the water levels the Army Corps gauges to determine how to react to discharges are between 12.5 feet and 15.5 feet. The lake is currently at 14.9 feet, roughly a foot higher than it was during the last crisis at the same time of year in 2013, Mr. Campbell said.
With hurricane season yet to come, the Army Corps still has to carefully determine how to release and plug the dikes. It takes roughly one month to release six inches of water from the lake, Mr. Campbell said, so if significant rains fell, the **** could have “performance issues” and the Army Corps would have to take precautions to prevent a disaster that would bring “widespread damage and problems, especially if the water goes south, which is where the water wants to go anyway.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/02/us...ches.html?_r=0

Old 07-05-2016, 05:42 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Typical of Scott (R) to blame the government for not being more involved in fixing his State. This is after spending years blaming the government being too involved.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:44 AM

57,230 posts, read 26,172,300 times
There is a long history of setting aside funds to purchase land and protect from development going back to the 1990's but there was misuse of the funds. Now they have some explaining to do, I don't think the voters were planning to fund state agencies when they passed these ballot measures.

Article from last year

Quote:
Republican legislative leaders, however, see it differently: Florida has already conserved enough land — 5.3 million acres — so using the money for other crucial projects and expenses is a smarter approach. Because Amendment 1 allows funds to go toward land management, it gives them the discretion, they argue, to use the money more broadly, including to pay for day-to-day operations of several state agencies that deal with management.
“We don’t need to be known as the hoarding-land state,” State Senator Alan Hays, a Republican, who is chairman of the Senate Appropriations subcommittee that allocates Amendment 1 money, said during a meeting. “We need to be known as good stewards of the resources that the people own.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/26/us...tion-fund.html

Old 07-05-2016, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
The Army Corps of Engineers maintains the levees and water levels in the lake.
They are not responsible for the water quality.

Old 07-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Quote:
And nor should they. It is infested with large alligators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies