Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2016, 02:35 PM

89,006 posts, read 44,824,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
It's strange that you can read that definition and somehow believe that life in a democratic republic is slavery.
It is slavery for some when not everyone contributes equally to the cost of maintaining the democratic republic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 02:39 PM

Quote:
1. Individuals did not provide the requisite consent. States entered into a compact that created the federal government--the Constitution. It remains in force.
No, it doesn't. SCOTUS just eviscerated both the 10th and 14th Amendments in the TX law ruling. They've eviscerated other Amendments in rulings before that (1st, 4th, 6th, to say the least).

Old 07-07-2016, 02:50 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How is it unreasonable to expect that all of a state's statutes applied to facilities that perform surgical procedures are equal?

Surgery A = Surgery B

Unless you're a woman. Then SCOTUS has ruled that your surgery doesn't have to meet any minimum standards.

All hail the misogynists. /puke

Who agrees with violating the 14th Amendment when it comes to women's health care other than liberals and misogynists? Serious question...
Well, the statute did not apply to all facilities that perform surgical procedures. Numerous providers (but . . . surprisingly . . . no clinics that offer abortion services) were exempted. The complications rate was extremely low for abortions. Women have a 14th Amendment right to liberty, including the right to medical privacy, which includes the right to a pre-viability abortion. The Court is protecting that right here. It weighed the burden on that right against the State's interest in these laws, and found that the laws unduly burdened the 14th Amendment right to pre-viability abortion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
1. I never signed the Constitution. I generally don't adhere to tenets I have no knowledge of.

2. You must pay exit taxes to renounce. FACT. Also, why would I need to sign an oath to leave if I never signed one to get in? Don't tell me the doctor handed me a pen when I flew out of my mother's birthing canal and I signed something. I'm pretty sure Piaget has fine motor skills needed to put an X on a paper being developed later on than that.

3. I don't understand citizenship or international law because I'm consistently logical in my reasoning.

I have friends off-grid in Vermont. Their children will inherit the homestead when they pass. These kids have never used a government service in their life (born at home) yet will pay bi-annual property taxes until their death. So twice a year they must pay (using the state-sanctioned promissory notes) fees for existing?
1. You may not know that the 14th Amendment provides for birthright citizenship, but it does.

2. No, you do not. You simply have to leave, go to an embassy/consulate, and sign an oath. You have 14th Amendment birthright citizenship.

3. What you believe is logic is only ignorance.

Your Vermont friends must pay taxes for owning property, not existing.

Quote:
They DO have the power to require the same medical and facilities standards of facilities that perform surgical procedures. Just as they license abortion doctors and every other surgeon operating professionally within their state. 10th Amendment. Bottom Line. End of discussion.
See above. States can't violate the 14th Amendment right to liberty.

Quote:
It is slavery for some when not everyone contributes equally to the cost of maintaining the democratic republic.
That's ridiculous.

Quote:
No, it doesn't. SCOTUS just eviscerated both the 10th and 14th Amendments in the TX law ruling. They've eviscerated other Amendments in rulings before that (1st, 4th, 6th, to say the least).
Please explain how it is the Court eviscerated the 10th & 14th--it does not follow. And please provide the cases you believe eviscerated the 1st, 4th, and 6th--or other provisions of the Constitution.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:52 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Why should I sign the oath to leave if I never signed one to get in?

I'll patiently wait for a logically consistent answer.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Why should I sign the oath to leave if I never signed one to get in?

I'll patiently wait for a logically consistent answer.
Feel free not to sign one--you'll just remain an American citizen. It's up to you to choose.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:59 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Feel free not to sign one--you'll just remain an American citizen. It's up to you to choose.
Did you sign one? If I didn't sign one how did I become an American citizen?

Old 07-07-2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Did you sign one? If I didn't sign one how did I become an American citizen?
The 14th Amendment.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Well, the statute did not apply to all facilities that perform surgical procedures.
It applied to ambulatory surgery centers. According to the CDC, nearly 80% of all abortions performed in the U.S. are ambulatory surgical procedures.

Quote:
1. You may not know that the 14th Amendment provides for birthright citizenship, but it does.
That depends. I've gone into this in detail in other threads, if you care to look further:

Quote:
SCOTUS ruled Wong Kim Ark a US citizen based on the fact that his parents were permanent residents of the US at the time of his birth:

"The evident intention, and the necessary effect, of the submission of this case to the decision of the court upon the facts agreed by the parties were to present for determination the single question stated at the beginning of this opinion, namely, whether a child born in the United States, of parent of Chinese descent, who, at the time of his birth, are subjects of the Emperor of China, but have a permanent domicil and residence in the United States, and are there carrying on business, and are not employed in any diplomatic or official capacity under the Emperor of China, becomes at the time of his birth a citizen of the United States. For the reasons above stated, this court is of opinion that the question must be answered in the affirmative."

What Gray has done by stating exactly such is to specifically stipulate that parents "have a permanent domicil and residence in the United States" in order for their US-born child to acquire birthright citizenship.

Illegal immigrants don't have a permanent domicile and residence in the US because they are in the country illegally. They shouldn't even be here at all. Therefore, their US-born children are not US citizens.

Granting US citizenship to anchor babies is no more than policy overreach, supported by neither the 14th Amendment nor federal statute.
Quote:
Originally Posted by =TheCityTheBridge View Post
2. No, you do not. You simply have to leave, go to an embassy/consulate, and sign an oath.
You have NO clue:

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/inte...patriation-tax

Old 07-07-2016, 03:12 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
First, we must examine if there is indeed a "problem".

The only forms of servitude that "inevitably work" are ones backed by the sword.

A voluntary society ensures freedom for all. It's that simple.

Voluntary associations, backed by contracts (real ones...where both parties consent while being free from force and having the cognitive ability to do so unlike the so-called social contract), can be formed to facilitate the free will of all while punishing those who initiate force by retaliatory means or shunning.

This is a major schism between the statist and non-statist because the statist believes that the labor and property of an individual are granted to a person by the state to be used by the state as it sees fit via legislation while being backed by the sword.

Right now criminals and bad apples in general may only be punished by the state via codes. The rest of us may not deny anyone, regardless of how we feel about them, the fruits of our labor or property. We see this play out in the state forcing businesses to serve/accommodate patrons even though they do not wish to do so or would at least like to choose for themselves how to run their business.

In reality, this does not punish the criminal in a way that may deter or modify his behavior. In fact, in many cases it only enhances his incentive to continue on a lifestyle that is generally thought of as morally undesirable by the rest of us.

It also puts a hardship on the rest of us. We are forced to bake cakes, cut hair, and set broken arms of anyone who walks in the door. That is because the state owns us. Our labor and property are at its discretion.

A better system would be to have complete ownership of your body, property, and fruits of your labor. That way bad folks can be shunned from society.
Ok, let's say you and I make a contract. I break it and skip town. What happens?

You just lose stuff. There's nothing that exists to actually require me to fulfill my end of a contract. Except the courts. A court can punish me for violating our contract. While you technically also can, I also can just avoid you. You probably wouldn't have the resources to find my and bring actual justice. And even if you did, how do you determine what is the right method of punishment? If I steal from you, you can do whatever you want to me as "punishment." You can steal whatever I took back with interest. That'd be reasonable. You could beat me up. Not really a solution, but I get how we got there. You could rape and kill my daughter. Well, now I feel I've been wronged (and I could easily feel the same for any of those others). And at that point, there is nothing to say which of us in that situation is objectively wrong.

The state can establish consistency. If I steel from you, the courts will acts as an unbiased spectator to determine how that wrong is righted. If I break a contract, the courts can punish me as per their or the contract's described method. Without a state, there is no consistency and no stability or fairness in the world.

This does not mean that I don't think the state has ever overstepped it's bounds. It has and does and will continue to do so. And the best remedy to this is an attentive populace who will hold their government accountable and if need by, start a new one (that should be a last resort). But I fail to see how the benefits of a good state, even when the bad state occasionally makes an appearance, would be worth sacrificing for a stateless society which at times would maximize liberty but also at times almost completely diminish it.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:15 PM

Quote:
See above. States can't violate the 14th Amendment right to liberty.
Um... the 14th Amendment guarantees equal protection of the laws:

"No state shall... deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws."

Quote:
Please explain how it is the Court eviscerated the 10th & 14th
No problem:

1) States license abortion doctors just like they license all other surgeons. That's their right under the 10th Amendment, and that isn't a problem. There's absolutely no reason why states shouldn't also have the 10th Amendment right to legislatively require centers that perform ambulatory surgery abortions on women to meet the same legislated medical and facilities standards other ambulatory surgery centers in the state are required to meet.

2) Women have the same 14th Amendment to the right of equal protection under state laws as men, but SCOTUS just stripped women of that 14th Amendment right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies