Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 10:18 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
It is in the WSJ link referenced in the Time article.

Yes, and like I say, they don't do a very good job of breaking those categories down. Lumping obesity in with mental health, for example, obfuscates the data.
So, you equate ADHD with 'mental health issues'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:24 AM

40 posts, read 36,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
When I enlisted in the Navy, I gained over 20 lbs. in boot camp. That's what boot does; fattens up the skinny kids and skinnies up the fat kids.

I have no worries about the millennials. If their time ever comes, they'll be right there on the line, and they will do their bit. Their generation is probably better fit for the war they would fight than either of us were in our day. Warfare is always different, because war itself always includes the very most recent changes in any society.

Increasingly, the military is abandoning preparations to fight the last war at last. That's one of the outcomes from trimming the military's size down. They are now spending much more time trying to anticipate the demands of a future war. That's one of the hard-earned lessons the Bush wars seem to have driven home to our high command.

What worries me more is all the old geezers who still think they're Rambo, and all the tubs who live on pizza and internet conspiracy theories. Some of those guys are so heavy they look like walking heart attacks waiting to happen.
You are wrong about this. Millennials are an entitlement generation and lazy to the core. Most of their reality has taken place in a virtual world. I teach millennials and their laziness and attitude is sickening.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:32 AM

596 posts, read 428,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch51 View Post
You are wrong about this. Millennials are an entitlement generation and lazy to the core. Most of their reality has taken place in a virtual world. I teach millennials and their laziness and attitude is sickening.

Well, who raised them that way?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:39 AM

273 posts, read 201,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
They don't really clarify the reasons very well.

But 29% qualify for service, and only 1% qualify and "are inclined to have a conversation with the military about possible service." That should tell you something about the desirability of joining the military.

I can't say I blame them. America doesn't fight "for freedom." We fight for murky geopolitical interests.
I agree. A lot of veterans will probably want to beat me with sticks for saying this, but I honestly see militaries as nothing more than fighting forces who serve corrupt people/interests.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
So, you equate ADHD with 'mental health issues'?
I don't equate ADHD with anything. I didn't mention ADHD. The question is what the DoD considers "mental health issues", and what precisely constitutes "Obesity and mental health," and in what specific amounts.

And the answer to those is : unknown.

from the linked wsj article:

Old 07-06-2016, 03:28 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
One would hope so but I am reminded of a set of lines out of the "Galactica 1980" novel.
Troy and Dylan have just stunned a pair of security guards. Dylan: "Metal Projectile guns? These guys have a long way to go before they can take on the Cylons!"

Troy: "Only with their technology; there's nothing wrong with their spirit. They still engaged us despite seeing our fantastic firepower." (or something like that)

So, what do you think? Do the millennials have the spirit to fight?
Who knows? Every previous generation has had the spirit when called upon.

I hope we will never know the answer to that question, but I fear we'll find out soon enough.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:26 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,367,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I think this is an example of the Millennials being smart enough to not be "suitable" for Military Service that amounts to being little more then mercenaries working for Big Money to rip off the world. Our involvement in the Middle East is little more then a war to restore privately owned oil in Iraq and build a Trans Arabia Pipeline through Syria to the European market.
LOL, you think they're smart enough to be unqualified to join the military? They're barely smart enough to graduate high school, and far too many of them aren't even capable of doing that.

Only a liberal would think it's "smart" to be uneducated, out of shape, use illegal drugs and have a criminal record. I suppose that explains all the support Hillary still has.

Old 07-06-2016, 05:36 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Who knows? Every previous generation has had the spirit when called upon.

I hope we will never know the answer to that question, but I fear we'll find out soon enough.
I hope we don't have to find out as well.

Of course, there is the usually reason of not wanting a war, of not wanting to see the broken and killed, but there's another one as well.

When I was a Provost Marshall and there would be reports of bed hopping in the BEQs, there was a question of did we want to put curfews in effect there or some other restriction against mixing.

I was told by my Chief, "The harder you let them play, the harder they will fight."

Well, in our continuing restrictive society, be it for PC or other reasons, how hard do we let them play?

When I was around in the 80s, my ship had arrived at a liberty port, and I was the "volunteer" to take up a community gift to go parasailing (for some reason that I don't recall, it didn't carry through). That was the Navy then, to get sailors to be recreationally active like that.

I was shocked when I was reading a professional article in the 90's when the focus had changed to officers meeting on entry to liberty ports to figure out ways to keep the sailors off the jet skis.

What's it like now? Do we let them really play?

Perhaps in the current world, play hard is accomplished with the electronic games and we don't have to worry about that aspect.....but I do wonder.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:06 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverPlatter View Post
I agree. A lot of veterans will probably want to beat me with sticks for saying this, but I honestly see militaries as nothing more than fighting forces who serve corrupt people/interests.
True. Clinton was and is corrupt to the core while I was in the Navy.

Old 07-06-2016, 09:53 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubermensch51 View Post

I have no idea where you live or what you teach millennials. But I call BS. They are a major force in the workplace. I don't know any who are lazy, in fact they are quite motivated. You can't judge all for just a few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies