Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 09:06 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,346,146 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
- Why should you trust people with guns?
- Why should you trust people that drive around you?
- Why should you trust an airline pilot?
- Why should you trust a bus driver?
- Why should you trust a cab driver?
- Why should you trust your bartender?
- Why should you trust a restaurant cook?
- Why should you trust your car mechanic?

Hint: Each one of those above have had members go rogue at one time or another. And I could go on and on and on.

Why should anyone trust someone they do not know?
I bet there is no problem with trusting their friends and family, though. The Diane Feinstein syndrome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 10:01 PM

10,297 posts, read 7,887,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
- Why should you trust people with guns?
- Why should you trust people that drive around you?
- Why should you trust an airline pilot?
- Why should you trust a bus driver?
- Why should you trust a cab driver?
- Why should you trust your bartender?
- Why should you trust a restaurant cook?
- Why should you trust your car mechanic?

Hint: Each one of those above have had members go rogue at one time or another. And I could go on and on and on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Why should anyone trust someone they do not know?
And the answer, of course, is that without a certain baseline level of trust between citizens, civilization cannot function.

Trust until an individual gives you a solid reason NOT to trust them - and always remember that while most people are in fact trustworthy, a few are not. Until we develop a mind-reading device or a working crystal ball, that's the best any of us can do.

(As for the OP's fixation on guns: the most prolific serial killer in history didn't use one. He used a needle. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harold_Shipman)

Old 07-06-2016, 10:30 PM

10,219 posts, read 19,105,710 times
If I'm the one with the gun, it hardly matters if _you_ trust _me_, does it?

Old 07-06-2016, 10:48 PM

30,135 posts, read 23,526,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
To keep down some of the inevitable posts by knee-jerk folks, I have been an owner and a shoot since 1965. I'm retired Navy with a good deal of trigger time. I still shoot at a local range, as does my wife. Now, I hope we can carry on...

It's a simple question: How do I know I can trust you with that gun you're carrying?
Some other posters have brought up a good point, and it's funny because I was just thinking this last week when I was on the road:

I'm trusting every single one of those cars on the other side of the road, the ones that are mere feet from me with nothing in between us but a yellow line, to stay on their side and not plow in to me. I have been in a bad accident, I pay for it to this day in pain that will never go away, and yes given that and my driving experience, I'm definitely more alert than many drivers I've seen on the road, I still trust that those people are going to stay "over there".

I trust to the point that I'm not advocating that everyone lose their car because one idiot ran in to me and caused me a lot of pain.

Even on my own side of the road, I trust that while I know they can plow in to the back of my car, or side swipe me because they are too busy texting and not paying attention, or they could slam on the brakes for a multitude of reasons, or they could just come over in to my lane because they didn't look, I'm not going around completely paranoid and angry that people are still driving.

The ONLY place that I hesitate is taking off at an intersection. I've seen far too many car crash videos, doesn't matter if they're mostly Russian, so now I make sure no one is hurtling towards the intersection before I take off.

So why should I trust all of you with a car? You don't have a Constitutional right to drive that car.

Every car driver is a safe car driver until they're drunk, or texting, or talking on their phone, or distracted by their kids, or their pet in the car, or eating, or putting on make up, or reading a book, or changing the station, or dressing, (yes, I've seen that). Every one is a "safe" driver until they are around an 18 wheeler and then they dart in and out and cut them off and follow too close...

So tell us, OP, why should we trust you with a 2000+ pound hunk of metal and plastic that kills more people than guns each year?

I guess I should have prefaced by stating that I own a car, I've been driving a car since I was 16, I've driven in other countries, I've driven for a living...so that we could carry on, but at least you know now.

Old 07-06-2016, 10:53 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,543,186 times
Quote:
To keep down some of the inevitable posts by knee-jerk folks, I have been an owner and a shoot since 1965. I'm retired Navy with a good deal of trigger time. I still shoot at a local range, as does my wife. Now, I hope we can carry on...

It's a simple question: How do I know I can trust you with that gun you're carrying?

Frankly I would not care one way or the other. Don't need approval. Not carrying it for you or anyone else. Its for me. What made you think a person "carrying" would care anyway? Unless, of course, in your State, you have to approve all "Carry Permits."

Old 07-06-2016, 10:57 PM

Quote:
So, I should trust the State? I don't think so. And I know you don't care, that's what has me worried.

Your allowed to worry. Its good for you to worry. Keeps you vigilant since you don't have a gun. That way if something happens, maybe you can get a head start out the door.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:05 PM

Quote:
So many "how dare you!" and "I'll do what I damn well please" posts already.

Tell me, if you were the unarmed person, why would you trust the armed people in the room?

I think a "therapist" could help you with these anxiety problems. In your case, its probably best you don't have a gun, and maybe some one should let the authorities know. If your this Paranoid about Trusting people, with guns, for fear of harm, you could flip out and hurt some one. How you feel about those around you is not healthy or safe to them.

Old 07-06-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
22 pages and over 200 posts, and we still haven't heard a valid point from the OP.

Would someone please explain to me... What's the F'ing point of this thread?
Probably just dangling bait fish to see who bites, since no one I know would even talk like this.

If he is for real, he would be Dangerous, How would you like to be at a "Range" with him, where he has a gun, and is eyeballing everyone there, thinking they can't be trusted, they have guns, and they may cause me harm. How's that for a thought?

Old 07-07-2016, 07:02 AM

58,496 posts, read 26,802,841 times
Quote:
More personal attacks. The reason I'm concerned about some of you carrying guns and the reason I don't trust you with them.
You ARE entitled to your own opinion.

Why should we care if you are scared.

That is your personal problem. NOT ours.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,285,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the same circumstance, how would we know, they were packing heat?
Well, when the gunfire broke out...

Seriously, these days we don't know, and I think that's a bad idea. I'd favor open carry over concealed. Better the devil you know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies