Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 11:59 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I consider myself a Libertarian. I am not anti-cop because I am a Libertarian. You will find a lot of Libertarians defending cops.

I don't like cops, not because I think every cop is an a-hole. I don't like cops because most cops are a-holes, and they have way more authority than they deserve. See the thing is I have a philsophy about life, and it's that you never depend on the mercy of one person or organization.

The reason why I'm am naturally skeptical of any authority is from a job I had back in 2002. A good number of people who worked there were African, and they came from Liberia. At the time I had no idea what Liberia was, but after they told me of the horror stories and Civil Wars, I started looking up dictatorships and government. See in Liberia, there was a succession of rebel groups that would stomp out an oppressive government, start with the best of intentions, and then later own become an oppressive government. I started to see similar trends in Asian, Latin America, and other African countries. Then I started to ask, "what is protecting American from corruption"?

I soon started to realize that systems make people corrupt. And that people who represent organizations like the police force and government don't exist in vaccum. When the patriot act started to happen, I became skeptical. Because it was all of the signs of the creation of a police state.

When I see cops murdering unarmed citizens on camera, and people rally to defend these actions, I get scared. Because it says that we've built up a tolerance for the government murdering unarmed citizens. And that we're willing to pacify police, and even never consider the fact that they could be in the wrong. And you see, that's blind obedience to authority. And that is how you end up with a corrupt government and a police state.

This is why I attack the entire idea that a police force could ever serve the greater good. And maybe we've outgrown this model, as it seems to do nothing but increase the violence from the governmentt against it's own citizens.
well, your opinion is your opinion. what else can I say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 12:00 PM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
I consider myself a Libertarian. I am not anti-cop because I am a Libertarian. You will find a lot of Libertarians defending cops.

I don't like cops, not because I think every cop is an a-hole. I don't like cops because most cops are a-holes, and they have way more authority than they deserve. See the thing is I have a philsophy about life, and it's that you never depend on the mercy of one person or organization.

The reason why I'm am naturally skeptical of any authority is from a job I had back in 2002. A good number of people who worked there were African, and they came from Liberia. At the time I had no idea what Liberia was, but after they told me of the horror stories and Civil Wars, I started looking up dictatorships and government. See in Liberia, there was a succession of rebel groups that would stomp out an oppressive government, start with the best of intentions, and then later own become an oppressive government. I started to see similar trends in Asian, Latin America, and other African countries. Then I started to ask, "what is protecting American from corruption"?

I soon started to realize that systems make people corrupt. And that people who represent organizations like the police force and government don't exist in vaccum. When the patriot act started to happen, I became skeptical. Because it was all of the signs of the creation of a police state.

When I see cops murdering unarmed citizens on camera, and people rally to defend these actions, I get scared. Because it says that we've built up a tolerance for the government murdering unarmed citizens. And that we're willing to pacify police, and even never consider the fact that they could be in the wrong. And you see, that's blind obedience to authority. And that is how you end up with a corrupt government and a police state.

This is why I attack the entire idea that a police force could ever serve the greater good. And maybe we've outgrown this model, as it seems to do nothing but increase the violence from the governmentt against it's own citizens.
Now that was a sensible post....in your OP you sounded like an angry gang member.

you've now made some very good points......thank you

but people need laws, to control violence, anger, there also has to be a consequence for actions against the people.

So, there are two ways of looking at this....

So what is your solution, or a start to a solution

how can we make things better from your points of view....

Old 07-07-2016, 12:13 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
I just want point out that going into law enforcement or other public service really can come from an altruistic place that can have a basis in faith.

I'm agnostic, but one side of my family is very Catholic. On that side, my grandfather worked for the District Attorney's office, and my grandmother was an RN who worked for a public agency. Their three children didn't follow into public service, but my aunt married a fireman who had become a fireman after his discharge from the USMC. Firemen didn't make much in those days, but my aunt also worked part time. Houses were much cheaper as well. Their Catholic school tuition bill each month for 3 kids was almost 12x (yes 12x) the amount of their mortgage payment. One of my cousins was driven from the word go....became an LEO, and later an attorney for a public agency. Another wanted to go USMC and then fire. My aunt yelled and screamed re college. That worked. Got a degree, and then became an LEO. The third child married a teacher, and then also became a teacher. The inspiration in all cases wasn't a motivation for money and/or power, it was faith and family.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:15 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Now that was a sensible post....in your OP you sounded like an angry gang member.

you've now made some very good points......thank you

but people need laws, to control violence, anger, there also has to be a consequence for actions against the people.

So, there are two ways of looking at this....

So what is your solution, or a start to a solution

how can we make things better from your points of view....
I don't believe anyone should have a monopoly on force or violence. And it should be up to the people not politicians. I have posted up many times that I believe in total privatization of the police. Allow multiple police forces to compete for surveillance in different neighborhoods, and if the police fail to serve the people, they can get rid of these services. I think that offers the most freedom, and protection against a possible rise of an all encompassing police force.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:27 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,194 times
Quote:
I don't believe anyone should have a monopoly on force or violence. And it should be up to the people not politicians. I have posted up many times that I believe in total privatization of the police. Allow multiple police forces to compete for surveillance in different neighborhoods, and if the police fail to serve the people, they can get rid of these services. I think that offers the most freedom, and protection against a possible rise of an all encompassing police force.
The only problem with this is that like all other government privatized services, They end up being a monopoly lorded over by the elite.

Old 07-07-2016, 12:49 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times
Quote:
And those who murder unarmed citizens, whether they wear a badge or not, should be held accountable, and this is coming from a retired patrol officer. But condemning all police officers for what these criminals with badges do is doing an injustice to those in the majority who are good cops.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:13 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
Quote:
We've reached the point in American society that it's no longer fashionable to question the state. Men with blue, with badges who act like bullies and thugs are above criticism, and often above the law. And it is a sad state of affairs that more Americans aren't outraged everytime we see excessive force from police done to citizens (mostly unarmed). With that said, we have a majority opinion that defends cops. That says that even if there are "a few bad apples" that cops are mostly good. And that we shouldn't criticize all cops due to what a few bad ones do. Now, there is a certain "logic" to that statement, but it's very flawed unfortunately. There is no such thing as a good cop.

Good Cops

The myth that the government likes to get Americans to believe in is that there are "good cops". Well, unfortunately, it doesn't matter. You see, people always forget one key thing about the police department. It is staffed with politicians and bureaucrats. The top brass in a police department is way more concerned with public opinion and keeping the appropriate "public image" for the police department. So let's say a cop does get caught stealing drugs from drug dealers. Well do you actually think that people ahead of these departments will say anything about it? Do you really think this bad cop will get ousted? Just imagine what type of media attention the police commissioner would get if this ever got leaked by media? No, it's just swept under the rug. And structurally a problem arises because bad cops are going to be protected to a degree by the top guys in each department.

So what happens to the good cop then? Well the good cop is the one who defends the bad cop. That's it. See the thing is, a good cop isn't going to come out to the media and talk about whatever corruption there is on the force. He's not going to publicly speak against his comrades in power. Because the cost is too severe, when you go to the media, you get crucified by the bad cops, because the guys up top want to crucified.

In Closing

People think cops are out here arresting thugs, gangsters, psychopaths, rapist, and muggers on a daily basis. If they did that, they'd never make any money. Nope, majority of the arrest are for non-violent drug users, people with "traffic violations", and simple domestic disputes that escalate far too quickly. Cops are nothing but people who get revenue for the state. If you spent all of your time fighting real crime, police departments would make no revenue. Do you think cops are trying to actually stop gang wars in Chicago? Of course not.

Great....next time someone tries to rob you, just call a Boy Scout or the little old lady crossing the street.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:17 PM

35,703 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Police officers down In Dallas, this thread is not helpful to fix anything .

Old 07-07-2016, 09:20 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Exclamation Have Respect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Police officers down In Dallas, this thread is not helpful to fix anything .
Those officers risk their lives and may have past. Thisisnot a joking matter.

God Bless the Dallas PD and the Good citizens of Dallas.

Old 07-07-2016, 09:22 PM

1,805 posts, read 2,367,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
That's like saying "there's no such thing as a good black person" as they kill their fellow blacks at a MUCH higher rate than cops.
Funny considering 99% of this forum thinks this..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies