Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:33 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,690 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
There are good cops, they just don't get the headlines.
Bingo. About 3,000,000 cops in the US. If ten percent of them were as bad as claimed we'd have hundreds of reports of criminal behaviour by cops every day. We don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:36 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I was just listing sweeping generalizations.

Accept you CAN generalize an entire organization, and people often do. If Bank Of America lost 10 million customer's deposit, you wouldn't say "well, only some people in BOFA are bad, but I'm sure 99% of the employees there are good". No you would be like "Bank Of Amrican sucks, and they deserve to go out of business". But somehow we're so much more forgiving when it comes to police officers. I wonder why.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:37 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,586,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
There are good cops, they just don't get the headlines.
You didn't read my post. Obviously. Good cops just protect bad cops. And this goes on in police organizations across America. People forget that law enforcement is about 99% political.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:39 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Good Lord.
Twice I have had to call the police (or sheriff's deputies) and I was 'darn' (can't cuss on CD) glad when they showed up. I have personally known many policemen/sheriff's officers and most of them are people you want on your side.
Yes, some are bad actors and some screw up but that also describes every group of humans you can name.
Plus they are the people who put their lives on the line when people like me call in the middle of the night with a problem.
It's hard to believe you needed Cops in an emergency and they were of any help honestly.

"When seconds count Cops are minutes (hours) away".

9 times out of 10 Cops show up after the fact and just document what happened-often dragging traumatized victims into the station to "fill out the report" for hours. Sometimes they even escalate the situation, inflict unnecessary violence and make matters worse, which is the opposite of their purpose.

I have never called the Cops in an emergency and never would. I have no purpose for them.

Maybe when our laws are changed-the war on "drugs" is ended and Cops are allowed to do their intended job of going after violent criminals/crimes with victims instead of just being revenue generators for the state I will change my opinion.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:45 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,969,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Cops are just the enforcers for a larger gang known as the state. And yes they are all bad. Cops do the very things they punish us for and sit silent while their peers commit their own crimes.
I resent that, and I am offended by that! NO, they are NOT all bad!
My son is a cop, and a good one! He is also an officer in the National Guard.
I can't think of anything to say about the OP and the one quoted that isn't profane or obscene.
IMO, this thread should be closed and deleted!

Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,927,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
I resent that, and I am offended by that! NO, they are NOT all bad!
My son is a cop, and a good one! He is also an officer in the National Guard.
I can't think of anything to say about the OP and the one quoted that isn't profane or obscene.
IMO, this thread should be closed and deleted!
I don't doubt your son is a good person-but an individual cannot do much to change issues that are systematic, which seems to be what this thread is about.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:03 AM

643 posts, read 471,508 times
The OP is an emotional wreck. This would be the same type of intellect as saying all blacks are criminals because many of them are they all are. Not intelligent at all.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Are you an anarchist?

You are so completely wrong I don't know where to start.

i do not see it that way. an anarchist wants to have no government at all, and he is saying that no LEO's would not be a bad thing.

I think the counties of the USA should only have elected Sheriffs and their deputies as people who force laws that are evil unto themselves.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:06 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,106,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
You didn't read my post. Obviously. Good cops just protect bad cops. And this goes on in police organizations across America. People forget that law enforcement is about 99% political.
Yes, I read it, and I repeat...Good cops don't get the headlines.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:07 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Except being black isn't a choice, being a cop is. If you're a good black person you can't "quit the black race". But good cops can quit the police force, or even influence the organization in positive ways.
Who says they aren't?

Bad cops do get punished.

Resisting arrest brings out the bad cop in good cops.

Imagine the lives that would have been saved by not resisting arrest?

Street people know that resisting a robber is not a good move but think it is fine to resist a cop??????

Cops save more black lives than anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies