Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2016, 08:14 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,410 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
On the Baton Rouge shooting, the police did their job superbly. The man that was shot has a rap sheet that includes rape of a 14 year old, drug dealing, weapons violations, resisting arrest, domestic violation. He threatened someone with at gun, which was illegal gun, resisted arrest and tried to reach his gun while wrestling with the police....they performed their job perfectly.

I haven't seen what led up to the Minnesota shooting. When I was 16 and just starting to drive, I was pulled over for speeding and I had my drivers license in the glove compartment and when I grabbed it and turned around, the cop has his pistol pulled and pointing at me (I'm white and he was white)....I didn't have a gun and this guy did.

It's very unfortunate that these incidents occur. The baton Rouge case, the cops did their job....maybe there was a judgment error in the Minnesota case but not sure.

Thank you for posting this.....People seem to forget that police already know who the lawbreakers are in any community. When they arrest one of these thugs it doesn't take much for the officer to be on defense and shoot one of them before being shot themselves. If you had a police job you would do the same.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:18 AM

53 posts, read 48,633 times
The police are not judge and jury, the guy might of been a scum bag, but not up to cops to decide life or death based on rap sheet. You give them to much credit anyway, these boys are scared and not the right temperament for the job.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
You hired people based on the color of their skin which is the exact same odious thing that some white managers do. How is that a good thing?

Old 07-08-2016, 08:37 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
You hired people based on the color of their skin which is the exact same odious thing that some white managers do. How is that a good thing?
That is the thing. Two for you...none for me. Two for you, one for me. After centuries of this, your community is going to have a lot more than my community. Things were historically unequally allocated by targeted intent. How can that inequality be made into an equality without reversing the targeted intent? It can't and won't be. I do not now if band aid attempts like affirmative action are the solution however. Without a true REPAIRations....everything else will fail.

Old 07-08-2016, 08:37 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,729,827 times
Quote:
I'm just asking a question: White folks-Do you even care?
The biggest flaw in your entire thinking is that you're thinking racially at all. I have less mellanin in my skin than you. That's a pretty irrelevant difference between us. White people don't care any less or anymore about anything than any other human being. We care if any other human being gets killed, regardless of skin color. Yes we're human so we tend to more closely identify with people that look more like we do. That's just one of those aspects of human nature that we're all trying to overcome. You ask if we even care, then you share an experience where you as a hiring manager actively discriminated against people whose skin color was different than yours. You do realize that playing tit for tat on the whole racist game just ensures that racism will endure forever, right? The reason that you should never use a position of authority to discriminate against others? Because MLK was 100% right. Skin color shouldn't matter:

Old 07-08-2016, 08:44 AM

19,797 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Quote:
So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?
I don't care if violent and/or sociopathic people get killed, no matter what color their skin is. (In fact, I think it would be better if all such people are killed after they have received several extensive attempts at rehabilitation that failed.)

I do care if innocent people are killed, no matter what color their skin is.

Btw, all the worst people I have known have been white -- both personally and in the news (e.g., the Columbine killers, Jeffrey Dahmer, Ted Bundy, etc.).

Old 07-08-2016, 09:13 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
What I do not understand is why black people become so aggressive and hostile with the police?
You really have to ask this question?

Do you know why there was a protest march in Dallas yesterday? Perhaps you should watch the news sometime.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:27 AM

163 posts, read 144,146 times
Quote:
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point: I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?

Rocco Barbosa - If you're generally neutral why are you asking, " do you even care if your own race gets killed"? What kind of questions is that? The question you're asking isn't coming from a neutral person at all. I understand your angry. Of course you're upset. Don't you think EVERYONE is regardless of color?

Your statement of saying that white people don't care about black people? Seriously sir or ma'am??? I believe what you just said IS apart of the problem thinking the way you are. I'm white and of course I care. I care about everyone regardless of their color. Shame on you. You're another added person who is dividing white and black people.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:34 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
And doing that got a man killed in MN...so they are damned if they do, damned if they don't.
Exactly!

Old 07-08-2016, 09:48 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

Here is a story---

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

"I know you don't care if blacks do"

What an asinine claim.

With an attitude like that no further response is warranted!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies