Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 10:09 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
OP, who cares? That's the attitude Americans have. White people don't even care if one of their own innocents got shot. If they don't care about their own, don't hold your breath for any sympathy for nonwhites. The only demographic group that this country remotely gives a crap about is a white female.
Yep. If we didn't care about suburban white first graders, we're not going to care about anybody.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:09 AM

189 posts, read 361,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocco Barbosa View Post
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Please help me to understand. Do you even care?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point: I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?

We can't do that, because you and others will say we are racist, whether we are or not. I don't like anybody being killed by cops. Do you think cops investigate cops like the government investigates politicians? Answer that for me, then, you got your answer....gator

Old 07-07-2016, 10:11 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,564,736 times
Quote:
I'm generally neutral as it relates to the police shootings, but these last 2 shootings have me very hot under the collar.

I've also heard some whites respond with "White people get killed by the police too".

So my question is to the "whites"-Do you even care if whites get killed too? I know you don't care if blacks do and I'm okay with that disposition. Do you care if your own race gets killed? If so what do whites do to prevent it from happening because there is nothing at this point that blacks can do. If you care so much why are you so silent on the issue? Why are you so apathetic?

Here is a story---
I can remember having been a hiring manager at a Hospital with 3,200 employees. There were only 3 of us black managers in the whole darn place. I decided to do something about it. I went on an aggreesive hiring of black managers. Why? 1-We needed more managers 2- we needed managers of color. 3-the Senior Level(white folks) staff supported my efforts.

The point:
I was in a position to make change happen and I DID. It's the highlight of my life.

Since whites are the dominant controlling class, why not use that position to make changes for the better?
I care about blacks who are getting shot. In fact I'm sure half of my students wish I would shut the hell up about it already (but I also bet they've seen these last two incidents and remember what I was trying to get into their heads last semester).

Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,942,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
(The guy in Baton Rouge that was shot and KILLED was a registered GUN owner.)
Yep. He was a model citizen from what I've read.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:12 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grneyedmustang View Post
This is the equivalent of telling a woman "Don't wear a short skirt and you won't get raped." I thought freedom of speech applied to everyone. My bad, it doesn't.

To the OP - most of them don't care - which is why the NRA and other organizations are deathly silent. (The guy in Baton Rouge that was shot and KILLED was a registered GUN owner.)
You talking about Sterling? He was not a registered gun owner, he was a convicted felon and it was illegal for him to possess a gun. Where in the hell do you even get your info from?

Old 07-07-2016, 10:13 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,838,279 times
IMO - I am white, I was raised to respect police and that the role of the policeman was to help people. I understand that this is the opposite of how the black community views police. I believe that is the underlying basis for our divergent views of police shootings. As a white person, I have been raised with a bias towards believing that someone who is shot by a police officer due to the person's own behavior (i.e., resisting arrest, attempting to flee, aiming/shooting at a PO, etc.). As an adult, I understand that there are bad cops, just like there are bad people and I have seen OBVIOUS examples of police shooting black people for no apparent reason and that is something that MUST be focused on by local law departments.

My question to you and the black community as a whole - why is your focus only on shootings involving police officers, when the number of blacks killing other blacks is astronomically higher? Is it that police shootings are better for media coverage? Is it because you do not want to have to focus on the murder problem within the black community? Is it that the only black lives that matter are those that are taken by a white person and that you are okay with the murder of a black person as long as the murderer is black? These are serious questions.

I can honestly say that seeing the unfounded shooting death of ANY human being, black, white, Asian, etc., is tragic and horrifying and does concern me! On the other hand, I also have seen examples of LEOs being murdered when making an ordinary traffic stop, so they have that apprehension always in the back of their mind that every encounter could end in their death.

I do wish that there was a way to deal with this issue without the emotion and anger associated with perceived racism (meaning that suggesting that black people who are stopped by cops do everything they are told, don't resist, don't argue, don't provide the cops with "a reason" to unholster their weapon.) I understand the history of being stopped for "driving while black." But that is NOT a reason to ignore the reality that there is much less chance of getting shot if you are cooperative. THAT would also shine a brighter light on those shootings that are OBVIOUSLY and BLATANTLY without basis and more likely to result in the arrest and trial of the officers involved.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:14 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I've been pulled over by the police numerous times, and the only incident where they made me feel threatened were...2 black cops...and I'm white. That's the only time I've ever been asked to step out of a car or ever had someone put their hand on a gun while approaching me. They made me go through all the sobriety tests and I was stone cold sober. They were doing it to give me a hard time.

When it comes to these police shootings, the Minnesota one looks very, very bad. A guy with no record legally carrying gets shot in front of a little girl, the woman put in cuffs and detained for no reason. Very disturbing.

The Baton Rogue one doesn't look great either...guy is on the ground with 2 cops on top of him, and get's shot point blank a bunch of times? No tasers available?

The off duty shooting in Brooklyn looks like a hot head who wanted to beat someone up getting shot by someone they didn't realize was an off duty cop. My contention there is the cop should have never rolled his window down and should have identified as a cop...not sure if he did, but that one looks less sketchy.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:16 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,404,404 times
Quote:

Your opening line telling white people that they don't care if blacks get killed was not exactly a winning tactic.

Nothing like telling a whole race, which is populated by individual minds, what they "think".

Were you in my living room the last time we discussed this issue? What you have done is to alienate an ally in my case.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 AM

596 posts, read 428,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The Baton Rogue one doesn't look great either...guy is on the ground with 2 cops on top of him, and get's shot point blank a bunch of times? No tasers available?

Some of the articles that I've read mention that the police did in fact tazer him first, and after non-compliance with that they took him done with bodily force.

Old 07-07-2016, 10:18 AM

23,529 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulone View Post
And yet they still get shot.
A whole lot less often if a policy of 'not resisting arrest' , were to be followed.

Seat belts do kill people in some accidents. Statistically wearing a seat belt will save your life.

What don't you understand??????????????

I'll bet if you get robbed on the street you would not resist a guy with a gun. so pretend the cop is really a robber and obey his commands. If just one life could be saved..... by common sense and supression of lies and misleading activists who continue to divide people by their differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies