Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 07:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 3,547,102 times

Advertisements

Burka ban introduced in Switzerland for Muslim women - Business Insider

“Those who want to integrate are welcome, irrespective of their religion, but those who rebuff our values and aim to build a parallel society based on religious laws, and want to place it over our society, are not welcome,"

I don't mind the headscarf but covering your face is downright creepy and uncivilized. IMO

As the French say...

facial coverings "prevent the clear identification of a person, which is both a security risk, and a social hindrance within a society which relies on facial recognition and expression in communication. The key argument against the ban is that it encroaches on individual freedoms"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 07:19 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,742,384 times
I doubt the ban applies only to Muslim women.

Old 07-07-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
I doubt the ban applies only to Muslim women.
I'm not aware of any other group who dresses the same as the (alleged) women in the article.

in any case, that sort of dress worn by anyone has no place in a western society. IMO

Old 07-07-2016, 07:28 PM

27,206 posts, read 46,665,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Burka ban introduced in Switzerland for Muslim women - Business Insider

“Those who want to integrate are welcome, irrespective of their religion, but those who rebuff our values and aim to build a parallel society based on religious laws, and want to place it over our society, are not welcome,"

I don't mind the headscarf but covering your face is downright creepy and uncivilized. IMO

As the French say...

facial coverings "prevent the clear identification of a person, which is both a security risk, and a social hindrance within a society which relies on facial recognition and expression in communication. The key argument against the ban is that it encroaches on individual freedoms"
I'm totally in favor of that ban. If they want to wear that than stay in your home Country and they can demand others to wear it if they enter their country... fine with me as I will never go there and probably not allowed into their country as many Muslim countries don't allow Jewish people but that is not what the media will report on!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:39 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,215,319 times
See what you can do when youre not in the EU!

Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
See what you can do when youre not in the EU!
for the record, France banned the burqua/face covering 6 yrs ago

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French..._face_covering

Old 07-07-2016, 08:02 PM

52,063 posts, read 52,513,486 times
I'm a big believer of personal liberties and religious expression being one of them. The only way I can get behind the adoption of this is possibly for security concerns. Otherwise I think people should be able to practice their faith and the burka is traditional with Muslims women, not sure if it's mandatory for them to or not as I'm not a Muslim. I personally find Islam to be repulsive to me, but whatever. I think once you start taking away people's civil liberties it gets to be a slippery slope.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:38 PM

170 posts, read 105,764 times
As an Atheist, I think that all forms of ridiculous wear should be banned. This includes Burkas, Nun-wear, Orthodox Jewish-wear, etc.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:52 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,561,142 times
The burqa is a full face covering and hence a security concern.

Good for Switzerland for passing this law.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:56 PM

17,321 posts, read 11,213,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
The burqa is a full face covering and hence a security concern.

Good for Switzerland for passing this law.
Exactly, not all Europeans are equally stupid for allowing this crap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies