Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 10:21 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And therein lies the problem. We should not be living like this in a supposedly free country.
Look, I put myself in an officers shoes. What if an officer stops a motorist walks up to a guy in a car who made an illegal lane change and the motorist just robbed a store and killed the clerk. a week ago.

That officer may be making a regular traffic stop but the driver is thinking the cop is stopping me to take me to jail for that robbery and murder. He could shoot that officer as he walks up to the car.

The officer never knows who they are stopping. They are trained to be very cautious. We have to take in account how they are trained, be very respectful and do what they tell you to do. Don't yell , resist, and follow commands.

We must tell our children to be respectful to the police. They are there to protect us from the bad guys, The police don't know who are the bad guys so we must show them we are respecting their authority. Yes, there are bad cops , but we have to become meek and respectful because we could encounter one of the bad ones.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:32 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,111,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
There is a problem with the police. The problem is that a lot of police officers and police departments have forgotten that they are there to "Protect and Serve" and act more like SA Brownshirts than servants of the public with an ethos that can best be described as "Comply or Die".

We regularly see police do things that would get normal people fired and legions of copsuckers come out of the woodwork to fellate the Boys in Blue with a tsunami of apologia. Defense of the absurdly common shooting of dogs. "Oh, but the police are regularly confronted by angry dogs!" And so are mail carriers and pizza boys and paramedics and they seem to manage just fine without discharging a firearm in a room full of people to kill a "pitbull" that looks suspiciously like a Golden Lab. Or the beating death of Kelly Thomas. "They were dealing with a mentally ill homeless man who wasn't following orders!" My office building regular has a significant number of homeless people milling about and some of them are very mentally ill; I have yet to beat one of them to death regardless of however annoying they can occasionally be. Even apologies for police officers who shoot people after giving a series of conflicting orders. "Don't move! Hands up! I said, 'Don't f--king move'! Put your hands up! Don't move! Hands ups! Show me your license! I told you not to f--king move! Get your license NOW! *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*" Call me a wuss, but I don't think that dealing with a cop should turn into a potentially deadly version of Simon Says.

Yes, police officers have a difficult, stressful, and often dangerous job. I think that we should respect that, but I don't think that it gives a free pass for reckless and criminal behavior. At least it shouldn't.

And in case you think I was being facetious about "Comply or Die":

Follow Commands Or Die – Law Officer
Couldn't agree with you more- many are simply bullies on a power trip.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
The real problem is that people used to respect police officers and no longer do. They see being pulled over for a traffic violation as a personal attack against them for whatever reason. People are now programmed from childhood to be confrontational, not to obey orders and to make threats. Then when push comes to shove, they are hurt or even killed. No big surprise.
Police used to rely on the vast majority of people to at least be respectful and do what they are told to do and not be confrontational.
There is a VERY good reason people don't respect cops.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Bad police behavior is a growing problem and it needs to be dealt with.
Who is going to deal with it? DA's certainly won't, and even the "good cops" cover up for the bad ones.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:37 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
When I am stopped by a police officer.. I am yes, sir.. no sir.. they can come off very hostile and all business.. some are down right militant.. I do what I have to do and do it meekly.. and I am white.
I think there are those who are stupid enough to think that the police will actually stop arresting them if they protest loudly enough.....not gonna happen.

I was arrested a few times when I was young and stupid......but even then I was smart enough not to argue with a cop or act in a physically threatening or uncooperative manner.

People need to realize that once they do something to attract the attention of the police, the situation is only going to get worse if they act like an uncooperative, potentially dangerous idiot.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:38 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
When I am stopped by a police officer.. I am yes, sir.. no sir.. they can come off very hostile and all business.. some are down right militant.. I do what I have to do and do it meekly.. and I am white.

The REAL problem is the thug culture perpetuated in the black community of urban cities. Black kids say they MUST fight the cops when arrested or their peers who are standing around as witnesses will think they are a "bi**h" if they surrender quietly.

To them, "street cred" is more important than staying alive. This same culture glorifies time in jail as a "badge of honor".

Old 07-08-2016, 10:40 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't think so at all. There has always been a few bad apples in police departments. It's no worse now. The difference is that now people think they have the right to challenge cops on the street. If you want a confrontation with a police officer you'll get one. People that show no respect for cops and are confrontational, are people that will end up in jail, hurt or dead. It's not rocket science to use some common sense.
No amount of bad police behavior is acceptable. Both sides of this thing need to give a little. Good cops need to stop protecting bad cops among them. Citizens need to stop blaming all police for the actions of a few. The police do not have any legal right to expect the level of cooperation that they do. Citizens need to know their rights and act accordingly. Law enforcement needs to respect the rights of citizens.

Everything gets better when the police and citizens are treating each other with greater respect. Bad behavior on both sides just leads to hostility and mistrust.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:41 AM

19,623 posts, read 12,218,208 times
Quote:
Look, I put myself in an officers shoes. What if an officer stops a motorist walks up to a guy in a car who made an illegal lane change and the motorist just robbed a store and killed the clerk. a week ago.

That officer may be making a regular traffic stop but the driver is thinking the cop is stopping me to take me to jail for that robbery and murder. He could shoot that officer as he walks up to the car.

The officer never knows who they are stopping. They are trained to be very cautious. We have to take in account how they are trained, be very respectful and do what they tell you to do. Don't yell , resist, and follow commands.

We must tell our children to be respectful to the police. They are there to protect us from the bad guys, The police don't know who are the bad guys so we must show them we are respecting their authority. Yes, there are bad cops , but we have to become meek and respectful because we could encounter one of the bad ones.

"Meek" and respectful are not the same thing. I do not consider myself meek but I'm smart enough to know to comply with police orders. That is not weakness at all, it is smart and most likely to have the best outcome. The cop can be the biggest jerk, but challenging him or her won't change that and will only make things so much worse. I learned that as a young adult.

I hate that parents and teachers do not show authority to kids who then never learn to respect others then get in trouble or worse when things go wrong.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:46 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,727,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And therein lies the problem. We should not be living like this in a supposedly free country.
YOU are the problem. Whatever happened to common courtesy when speaking to strangers??? I always use "Mr" or "Ms" when addressing people that are not personal friends.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:47 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,226,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Try going to law school ...and learning some basics about detention vs arrest ...
Sure..you have the right not to speak... you don't have any right to NOT comply with lawful orders...and we aren't there to argue or educate you on the side of the road. You have no idea what's going on in my mind and what action I'm going to take.Many actions I make are predicated on your actions statements and understanding.... I have a full range of options in dealing with you..how you present yourself and understand what you have done is integral in enforcing the law fairly and appropriately...you want to be a dick you may get treated like a dick
We don't have to advise you of your rights under many circumstances...learn what those are
Try understanding case law and the fourth...and how that equates to you as a citizen...you won't learn that on city data...

Anyone who would take any legal advice from an internet posting is an idiot...

One thing is true..if you're a crook you should be quiet..because I'm coming for your freedom and to separate you from the rest of us
The term is Lawful orders.
Unless you are under arrest, these are very limited.
The cop can ask you for ID if you are driving and depending on the state if you are a passenger.
The cop CAN under certain conditions search your person briefly for weapons.
The Cop CAN Search your car IF certain conditions are met.
The cop CAN detain you without arrest for a very limited amount of time.

The Cop CANNOT Tell you to do what ever he wants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies