Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 05:41 PM

6,806 posts, read 4,903,630 times

Advertisements

Here is are a video of a protester being trained and then having to deal with situations that police deal with on a regular basis. He didn't do so well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfi3Ndh3n-g

Old 07-08-2016, 05:59 PM

33,553 posts, read 18,147,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Screw all that yes sir/no sir crap.

It only serves their already outsized egos even more.

I treat cops the way they treat me. If they're nice, then I'm nice. If they wanna be buttholes, then I'll reciprocate and give the bare minimum cooperation and I'll take my sweet time furnishing documents.
You are asking for trouble, Just pray you don't run into one of those bad cops on one of their bad days.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:01 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,737,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
There is a problem with the police. The problem is that a lot of police officers and police departments have forgotten that they are there to "Protect and Serve" and act more like SA Brownshirts than servants of the public with an ethos that can best be described as "Comply or Die".

We regularly see police do things that would get normal people fired and legions of copsuckers come out of the woodwork to fellate the Boys in Blue with a tsunami of apologia. Defense of the absurdly common shooting of dogs. "Oh, but the police are regularly confronted by angry dogs!" And so are mail carriers and pizza boys and paramedics and they seem to manage just fine without discharging a firearm in a room full of people to kill a "pitbull" that looks suspiciously like a Golden Lab. Or the beating death of Kelly Thomas. "They were dealing with a mentally ill homeless man who wasn't following orders!" My office building regular has a significant number of homeless people milling about and some of them are very mentally ill; I have yet to beat one of them to death regardless of however annoying they can occasionally be. Even apologies for police officers who shoot people after giving a series of conflicting orders. "Don't move! Hands up! I said, 'Don't f--king move'! Put your hands up! Don't move! Hands ups! Show me your license! I told you not to f--king move! Get your license NOW! *BANG* *BANG* *BANG* *BANG*" Call me a wuss, but I don't think that dealing with a cop should turn into a potentially deadly version of Simon Says.

Yes, police officers have a difficult, stressful, and often dangerous job. I think that we should respect that, but I don't think that it gives a free pass for reckless and criminal behavior. At least it shouldn't.

And in case you think I was being facetious about "Comply or Die":

Follow Commands Or Die – Law Officer
Courts rule 'serve' is not a police requirement

Old 07-08-2016, 06:03 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
When I am stopped by a police officer.. I am yes, sir.. no sir.. they can come off very hostile and all business.. some are down right militant.. I do what I have to do and do it meekly.. and I am white.
Same. I treat them like I would a rabid dog.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:10 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
My brother has been a cop for many years and is an arrogant a**hole. He wasn't before he became a cop. think it becomes part of the job for some, but not all.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:23 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My brother has been a cop for many years and is an arrogant a**hole. He wasn't before he became a cop. think it becomes part of the job for some, but not all.
Well I lost a long time friend after he became one as well. It does change them, and in my experience it wasn't for the better.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:28 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,089 times
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...26130881,d.eWE Wouldn't do for me to be a cop, if felt the least bit threatened nowadays, sumone wouldn't comply, it would get ugly quick, what choice do they have, they wana go home to there families after work also

Old 07-08-2016, 07:10 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,084,560 times
What's a truly bunch of sick ignorant people commenting about police on the anonymous internet.. most are clueless what it takes to be a professional.police officer today.... few if any could pass the backgrounds psychological physical agility medical and educational requirements of any large department today

I listen to the regurgitation of garbage from people who have had negative contacts with law enforcement AS A RESULT OF THEIR OWN ACTIONS....people with criminal histories... drug use.. psychological issues...and oh yes some are seriously mentally sick... social justice types.. anarchists..liberals.. or just plain ignorant.

Today Three million Leo contacts with citizens will occur... less than one to two percent will result in ANY use of force...and a very small percentage of a percentage will result in a shooting... and most of those... will be fully legally morally and ethically justified

Will you hear this..no..

What you will hear is hysteria... you will see rare videos of people being killed...many of you sick people will jump to conclusions because you are trained by false narratives and biased media to not use common sense and critical thinking...
You won't hear about the 31 ... now 36 officers killed by gunfire this year... and double that amount killed in the line of duty for other reasons...

We will hear unvetted stories of woe.. most of which I will call bunk on... one sided diatribes...

Just sick. Really sick
Disgusting

Some are tacitly responsible for what happens in your community... potentially some fomented violence and unrest...

Instead of understanding all I hear from some people is whining... instead of real constructive ways to make the world better

That inaction would be the definition of cowardice to me

If this fits you..do something other than clicking on the internet about the woe of the world and the injustice of it all in the victims mind you CHOOSE TO HAVE...

Last edited by notmeofficer; 07-08-2016 at 07:22 PM..

Old 07-08-2016, 07:48 PM

2,325 posts, read 2,650,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
"Meek" and respectful are not the same thing. I do not consider myself meek but I'm smart enough to know to comply with police orders. That is not weakness at all, it is smart and most likely to have the best outcome. The cop can be the biggest jerk, but challenging him or her won't change that and will only make things so much worse. I learned that as a young adult.

I hate that parents and teachers do not show authority to kids who then never learn to respect others then get in trouble or worse when things go wrong.
I think a big part of the problem is that kids today aren't taught to respect anyone. They way kids talk to their parents, their teachers, etc. today is amazing. The things kids get away with. It's causing a breakdown in society. I know public school teachers who are afraid of their students and for good reason.

Yes, not everyone in a position of authority is a good guy. But whether they are or aren't, the best way to get though a situation without escalation is simply to be polite and behave yourself. If there is a problem with abuse, get a lawyer, go to the press, etc. Don't try to adjudicate it in the street against someone who has more power than you do. It's a losing proposition. What ever happened to common sense???

Old 07-08-2016, 08:44 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Try going to law school ...and learning some basics about detention vs arrest ...
Sure..you have the right not to speak... you don't have any right to NOT comply with lawful orders...and we aren't there to argue or educate you on the side of the road. You have no idea what's going on in my mind and what action I'm going to take.Many actions I make are predicated on your actions statements and understanding.... I have a full range of options in dealing with you..how you present yourself and understand what you have done is integral in enforcing the law fairly and appropriately...you want to be a dick you may get treated like a dick
We don't have to advise you of your rights under many circumstances...learn what those are
Try understanding case law and the fourth...and how that equates to you as a citizen...you won't learn that on city data...

Anyone who would take any legal advice from an internet posting is an idiot...

One thing is true..if you're a crook you should be quiet..because I'm coming for your freedom and to separate you from the rest of us
And this is the problem -- cop aggression.

And we're not talking about the lawful orders, we're talking about the illegal and immoral actions of some police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies