Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 03:32 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,987,571 times

Advertisements

Mother fatally shot by deputies; sister speaks out | KYMA KSWT KECY News

Just a comment about the arm chair quarter backs.

When I was a military cop back in the primitive days, it was just night sticks, polymer or break away, and hand to hand.

Hand to hand isn't nice and one hits the other with the energy of desperation to take them out, so the other person is, probably, going to end up a bloody mess, if not more.

I wonder if in such a situation, what the quarter backs' reaction would be to a woman that ended up black, blue, broken, ..... or dead, but not shot?

Probably.....damned it you do, damned if you don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 03:54 PM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Mother fatally shot by deputies; sister speaks out | KYMA KSWT KECY News

Just a comment about the arm chair quarter backs.

When I was a military cop back in the primitive days, it was just night sticks, polymer or break away, and hand to hand.

Hand to hand isn't nice and one hits the other with the energy of desperation to take them out, so the other person is, probably, going to end up a bloody mess, if not more.

I wonder if in such a situation, what the quarter backs' reaction would be to a woman that ended up black, blue, broken, ..... or dead, but not shot?

Probably.....damned it you do, damned if you don't.
Two deputies against one woman... granted with a knife.. dont they have tasers ir stun guns..and if trained to shoot guns why dont they aim where it wont kill.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:01 PM

10,031 posts, read 9,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Two deputies against one woman... granted with a knife.. dont they have tasers ir stun guns..and if trained to shoot guns why dont they aim where it wont kill.
The last part, you shoot to make sure the threat is neutralized. A leg or arm shot won't ensure that.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:02 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,802,841 times
Quote:
Quote:
Melissa Ventura was shot by two Yuma County Sheriff Deputies who responded to a domestic abuse call on Avenue C near 8th street. Sgt. Lori Franklin with YPD says when the deputies arrived to the scene and knocked on the door, Ventura opened the door and attacked the deputies with a knife, “She opened the door and immediately started attacking the deputies with a knife. The deputies then discharged their duty weapons toward Ventura.” Both deputies shot Ventura. She was transported to Yuma Regional Medical center but did not survive her injuries. Police are unsure why Ventura attacked.
Easy to second guess when yer not currently being attacked with a knife.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,946,279 times
Quote:
why dont they aim where it wont kill.
This is one of the stupidest things that gets repeated on this forum. It makes me laugh at how stupid it is when people write this idiocy. It reflects a complete and utter lack of understanding of firearms training.

You NEVER, EVER use a gun for self-defense purposes with any intention other than shooting to kill. EVER. Period.

Why you might ask? 1) if you don't need to kill someone you shouldn't be using a firearm; 2) trying to aim for an arm or leg is a lot harder than the chest. It's also not a guaranteed incapacitating to hit someone in the arm or leg; 3) even if you do hit an arm or leg you might kill them anyway if a major artery or vein is severed.

This is firearms 101 along with the Big Four safety rules.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:08 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,472,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
The last part, you shoot to make sure the threat is neutralize the suspect. A leg or arm shot won't ensure that.
Not to mention that the arms and legs will be moving more and faster, relative to the torso/core, in an altercation and, therefore, harder to hit. And if one actually tried to shoot the arms or legs, missed, and the bullet hit an innocent bystander, then you would have another problem.

[d'oh!]

Old 07-08-2016, 04:22 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,220,557 times
She is not mentally ill anymore.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:25 PM

39,869 posts, read 26,503,175 times
Attack someone with a knife-you deserve to be put down. What's the issue? This was a violent animal...hiding behind "mental illness" doesn't excuse that, any more than a rabid dog is excused because they are sick. Police must do what they need to in order to come home alive.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:51 PM

Quote:
I can't comment on tasers or stun guns, they were after my time.

The thing I was taught about knives and guns, after my police work but by a former police chief, was that if someone is coming at you with a knife, you put your hand on your gun, tell him, "Jimmy, you're bringing a knife to a gun fight," (if you have time), and if they keep coming, pull and pop them at least twice.

I suppose that when someone is coming at you with a deadly weapon, you respond with the weapon that has been programmed into you to the point of instinct. In my case, that will probably be hand to hand but then again as I've heard it been said, "Hand to hand is to give you additional time so you can pull your gun.".

Besides, throwing head punches, slamming heads in walls, sweeping a mother's feet out from under her to slam her face into concrete to take the fight out of her is probably not likely to draw many thumbs up in the news.

Finally, about guns. If one is going to shoot a gun at someone, they need to be ready that they could (and probably will) kill the person they are shooting at. Consider such from this angle:

"What do you mean, you didn't mean to kill him? You shot him."

Even with the differences of who one works for and what license they have, it still comes down to using a gun is deadly force. From shooting to stop (civilian) to shooting to kill (police snipers), there is no room for shooting with the intent to wound. Even if it turns out that way, usually being shot will seriously mess up anyone's day, if not life.

Old 07-10-2016, 12:37 AM

Another, similar incident:

Authorities identify man shot, killed by Tucson police | Crime | tucson.com

I wonder when the armchair quarterbacks declare, "You didn't have to shoot him!", what they expect instead? Is having to beat someone to a bloody pulp or tossing tear gas into a window the option they want instead?

One of the comments I saw in another article to the above incident was pointing out that if your family feels that someone should be committed, then have your family gang up on him, restrain him, and take him there yourself.

If the family can't do that, then what do they expect the police to do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies