Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 06:27 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,583,949 times

Advertisements

Is America about to become a police state?

An absurd notion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 06:32 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
if the police are here to 'protect and serve' how come every time i have an officer in the car behind me on the road, i feel much more nervous than 'safe'?

AND, i'm WHITE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Sounds like it is you who has the problem. What reason would you have to be nervous? They are simply doing their job.
Exactly. The only reason I'm nervous when they stop me is I don't want a ticket. I have ZERO fear that I am going to be harmed in anyway. Perhaps this is because whenever I interact with police, I am nice and polite and in turn, the officer is as well. Sure I've come across some pricks on a power trip but you run across idiots like this just about everywhere but this doesn't mean that I'm going to decide to lash out like a 2 year old and argue with the cop or decide I want to get into a physical altercation with him over what is probably not even a big deal.

Old 07-10-2016, 07:28 AM

1,364 posts, read 1,116,114 times
I wouldn't say that the U.S. is a police state. But there is a social problem in the U.S.: Killing people is an accepted method to solve problems.
The U.S. government kills people around the world in the name of the war against terror. They also kill innocent people.
How to deal with murderer? death penalty, problem solved.
How to deal with disobedient suspects? Kill them. Job done!
How to deal with the unpleasant neighborhood boy? Shoot him and claim it was self-defense.

Americans learn implicit that killing people is one way to solve problems. That's surely one reason why there are so many homicide victims in the U.S.

In many ways the U.S. seems to opt for the simplest solution. Many people doesn't seem to realize that the simplest and cheapest way isn't often the best way.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:37 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Well I think police have changed due to outside influences. Fear of civil suits have probably changed their approach to situations. Advances in technology place bad cops on the news and creates uneasiness with police. It's like a volcano feel it hinders cop's judgment. Cop has to question will is actions be judged and will he go home today. Increase in welfare, increase in low income jobs, decrease in liveable wage jobs, and war on drugs hinders the poor.

I mean need police to police their own. Need less federal and State involvement, less NACCP involvement, and more proactive independent police departments engaged in the community. We need to legalize marijuana, alter drug laws, fix the welfare situation in America, fix healthcare in America, revitalize making the business market become more freely, and need to work on encouraging the growth of liveable wage jobs.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:45 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Police are murdering people on camera blatantly and getting away with it.
As long as the police are going after criminals, thugs and other scum of society, I don't have much of a problem with it.

Even though the latest videos appear to be horrific, they don't exactly show upstanding individuals or model citizens getting killed by police.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:47 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
As long as the police are shooting criminals, thugs and other scum of society, I don't have much of a problem with it.

Even though the latest videos appear to be horrific, they don't exactly show upstanding individuals or model citizens getting killed by police.
Shooting unarmed citizens is bad, no matter what their criminal background is. All you're saying is it's ok to murder people and deny them due process because you don't happen to like the person whose rights are being violated.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:48 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The failure of the GOP to pass the AWB has created the environment we are witnessing today (only took about 6 years put showing up now). The NRA and its more guns leads to less death is insane. The NRA lobbyists are now showing their worth as the nations police departments have to improve their weapon inventory to protect us all from the nuts.
The GOP and its policy of getting rid of regulation only hurts the entire nation
I shouldn't even reply to this, but it's so ridiculous that I couldn't resist. So deregulation is the issue? In one of the most regulated countries in the world? It sounds like you won't be satisfied until the government has all the guns and rules with an iron fist. Gotta keep the rabble in line, right?

The solution isn't making more and more rules and becoming more authoritarian. In fact, if you learn anything from history, governments have been known to create threats purposefully to scare citizens into giving them more control. The U.S. isn't exempt from that.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:34 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
I'll echo other posters:
1) what exactly is a police state?
2) among the many posters: did anyone actually grew up and lived in a police state? Anybody here from N. Korea?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies