Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:55 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Here is the thing. I do not doubt your story. There are likely many stories and experiences like yours where its blacks doing wrong to whites. If you look at the Forrest from 30,000 feet in the air, it looks green because green is the dominant color. However, when you get on the ground you will find that green is hardly the only color....ergo...when you look at the black white situation over the years, the predominant image is white oppressing blacks and abusing blacks....but when you get closer, like in your case, you can see evidence that does not fit the big picture.

That said, when you add it all up.....the forest is still mainly green and when you add it all up oppression has mainly been white on black and also keep in mind that actions create reactions. White oppression creates black backlash. The culture of America has declined and the culture of black Americans have been taken down with it also. Out of wedlock births have actually increased at a higher rate, since the 60's, than blacks. This shows a general moral decline of America in general
Well this is 100% due to the fact that it is financially advantageous for the economically disadvantaged to not be married. The government set it up that way. Which I think is just evil. But that's how all of the government assistance programs are structured - if you marry, you are penalized. It's horrible and needs to be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
No....I do not need an excuse to blame white folks. I have the record of US history, its unequal laws, the practices of its citizens. Its not an excuse. It's documented fact. You are just attempting to argue the fallacy that actions don't produce reactions and hence all that blacks have endured from whites would not produce negative reaction.

White racism is the only act in nature that should not and does not produce a reaction....according to people like you.
Reaction? As in vengeance? If you demand vengeance, all that comes from that is pain. “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.” - Confucious

Old 07-12-2016, 09:02 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,598,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmeofficer View Post
Finally... someone whom I don't fully agree with but whom I think I can talk to...

As a policeman who worked the ghetto for much of my adult life voluntarily I did not target anyone of any persuasion...well that's not exactly true because if you were white in the ghetto you were either lost...or looking to buy dope. Color never mattered primarily to me.... the crime did.
I will also be honest and say if you were in a deserted canyon in Malibu for example at 2am and were with several friends and were a minority you were either... lost going to the beach innocently.. or doing a body dump..

Why.. because this happened so many times it became normal ( in the instances of both locations)...so this predicated how I did enforcement. Color didn't have anything with primary suspicion but was secondary beaded upon behavior...you get a healthy six sense about what and who belongs routinely in your area

I never felt an us vs them...unril post Rodney king..then I felt it all the time...but I still rember who I served..for me as I have stated mst time in city state posts 90 percent of people who live in the ghetto are good people..they want to work..love their families be good citizens.. ten percent of ghetto folks should be removed from our planet... which would help the other ninety percent live peacefully

I thought the Dallas police chief demonstrated everything right about a person who happened to be a person of color in America...we do know that minority population have not EFFECTIVELY addressed the problems in rheir neighborhoods and have relied upon government to make their lives beyter. That will never happen

Remember what the Dallas chief said... don't complain..step up and sign up and make your community better

This writer has another slant on the issues...some of what he writes about is disturbing

Fred On Everything

This, coming from someone who always finds faults with the people who were shot by cops, and doesn't ever find any fault with cops who murder innocent people.

What a hero.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Here is my belief. People/groups who walk in the same shoes end up standing in the same place. If a group is not standing where we are standing, then they did not walk in our shoes. If I tell you we had to go 10 miles carrying 100 lbs of weight on our backs and then you tell me that you had to go the same distance but you did it faster and went further despite that, then you are trying to say you are better than we are. If you did not have to carry the 100 lbs over that distance, who are you to tell us where we should be? I don't see how or why that you can carry the same load as us, but do better than us, notwithstanding any exceptions to the rule.

I assume that races are equal. Hence, the only way that one race can be ahead of other other is through different conditions and experiences. Two equal entities do not come up unequal if they are treated equally. That simply defies all logic.
Races are equal, cultures are not. If a black person and a white person are both raised in a culture of hard work, perseverance, honesty, integrity, and ambition, then they will come up equal. But if one of them is raised in a culture of hard work, perseverance, honesty, integrity, and ambition, but the other is raised in a culture of laziness, entitlement, violence, vengeance, and disdain for achievement, then they are not going to come up equal. And culture exists in the home, others cannot change that. That change must come from within.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:12 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,581,715 times
Quote:
Let me summarize your thoughts and others. Blacks are NOT, nor have ever been, disproportionately victimized by society. Thus, disproportionate victimization cannot explain why blacks are in disproportionate poverty, violence or other socioeconomic conditions..or why they act out disproportionately as victims. Hence, the only conclusion, when one eliminates the victim excuse.....IS THE NATURE OF BLACKS RELATIVE TO WHITE....which is INFERIOR.

How did I do?
You did horribly.

The black family has been destroyed by Liberal do-gooders.

Back when blacks actually had it tough, when many if not most people were actually racists, blacks had vibrant communities and solid families. Yes, they were treated poorly and discriminated against, but, there were black-run businesses, black accountants, black doctors and lawyers, etc...

And up until LBJ launched his great experiment, black women were more likely to be married in a stable family unit than were white women.

Obviously (for those of you for which the obvious is hidden), times were tough even with the families and communities intact. I know that. But, imagine if the black family had survived the Liberal do-gooders' pathetic attempts to establish equality of outcomes...

Old 07-12-2016, 09:14 AM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,766,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I believe the way to fix that fear is cultural education; however, I also believe that the general public doesn't want to do this sort of education whereas all sorts of people are humanized in a similar capacity. There are school systems that do training of teachers on this and they are lambasted by the right especially, but I do think it is necessary.

Someone else mentioned in the thread something that is true, black people usually do not have a high rate of shooting/killing police officers. Also, I stated that over 90% of black people are not criminals and aren't even arrested in any given year.

I believe that our country is permeated with the belief that black people (I am black) are criminals and uneducated and all sorts of other negative things. I believe it is not just a "white" thing either, you yourself admitted as such with the groups of men you reference. I will note that I am a female as well and I'm afraid of all groups of men lol, men are dangerous IMO, doesn't matter what kind, but oddly enough, when I see a group of black teenage boys, unlike some women, I don't get afraid. I have a lot of nephews and a teenage son and usually groups of teenage males just remind me of my family members so those biases are based in part by media but can be remedied with personal, positive experiences.

People would be surprised at how black Americans are very different versus how we are portrayed in media. I remember reading actually that black Americans are much more compassionate versus other demographics and more willing to help others. Also that we are more likely to perform a "heroic" deed versus other demographics, yet many people don't know this.

I personally state a lot of positives about black people on the forums, which are true, and many times posters have argued against what I stated and when presented with evidence will say they "don't believe it" and that is because they cannot see outside of their biases. I do believe that a majority of people today in America are willing to view another narrative, it is just that that narrative is not being provided and it especially does need to be provided to our law enforcement community.

I know that some activists want to make police officers live in the cities they serve and I do see a benefit of this as well, but usually when that occurs, the officers live in a particular neighborhood filled with other officers and I'm not one to agree to tell people what neighborhood they should be living in.
Unfortunately, it is not only our country. But it is just the BROKEN nature of human being.
People have tendencies to pick on what BAD things from the others who are not like them.
Example:
1. All black people are thugs and uneducated. WRONG!
2. All gay people are effeminate and promiscuous. WRONG!
3. All Asians are geeky and the men have small (you know what). WRONG!
4. All Muslims are terrorists. WRONG!
5. All Christians are bigot. WRONG!
The list goes on and on.

I sometimes went into that trap but I always try to put a mental note not to stereotype.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Why do we keep going over the same thing with the same people. If you don't like Black people that is fine. Why are you so obsessed with Blacks?
Completely pathetic and risible response.

In case you haven't noticed (perhaps you're one of those people from whom the obvious is hidden?), the country is in turmoil and race-relations are at their lowest in years. People are shooting cops on the street because they are being told that the cops are out hunting blacks for sport.

How is it possibly inappropriate to look at the facts and statistics that either support or refute the narrative?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
There must also be some correlation between cop reaction and perceived threat based on who they're stopping. In stopping a white male vs a black male, who are they more likely to be either killed or assaulted by?
Good post.

My understanding is that black, white, and Asian cops are all more likely to shoot black suspects/perps.

Why is that?

For the record, I believe that in 2016, Native Americans are being shot by cops at the highest rate.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:44 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,909,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why are you afraid of an honest intellectual discussion?

I don't hate anyone, you are merely attacking me, because you don't want to have an honest discussion.

BLM is having protests all over this country. One claim is that blacks are disproportionately shot by cops, I have an article here, backed with statistics that seems to debunk that message - it is a legitimate topic.

If you are afraid of the truth, you shouldn't be posting on a forum where people think and have discourse.

If this article can be proven wrong, I will be fine in admitting that it is wrong.
Your having a conversation over the Internet. Not the best place for true dialogue. I remember talk shows use to have topics and open discussions with black and white to discuss these certain issues. This would be better.

https://youtu.be/dmPWOAoExzk

Old 07-12-2016, 09:47 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,057,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salmonburgher View Post
Good post.

My understanding is that black, white, and Asian cops are all more likely to shoot black suspects/perps.

Why is that?

My understanding is that black, white, and Asian cops are all more likely to shoot male suspects/perps.

Why is that?

Some of the most recent studies are showing that blacks are not more targeted. Sure there are some bad cops, but most cops are good people working a dangerous job - they know if they mess up on the job they will be called racists, fired, and could even wind up in jail. Some studies are showing that not only are cops less likely to shoot blacks, but also more likely give them leniency when they resist arrest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies