Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 01:12 PM

40,928 posts, read 48,890,118 times

Advertisements

Has OP described how he expects to be treated differently?

I didn't think so.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:15 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,026,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
And how have you changed when in passing with others?
What did you expect strangers to do as they pass you on the street or even Coworkers at work?

At least Texans say hello. In NYC you might get a FU no matter what color you are.

What do you expect in strangers? If you want a hug, go to church or home to mom.
Nonsense.

Texas has the same cross section of a-holes as the rest of the country, and I could probably make a case that they have even more.

Location doesn't trump normal human behavior. Stop it.

That aside, what the OP said isn't surprising.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:49 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,758,811 times
From my experience many if not most blacks see through the media hype and the political pandering of the racial issues and they usually act just normal to me. Talk about mundane things and not let any kind of racial issue get in the way. Between those normal experiences there are feelings of aggression coming from others. That is just the way it is.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:52 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,529,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'll go along with that. Stand on the street looking like a confused tourist in New York and someone will ask if they can help. New Yorkers are misjudged a lot, I think.

I have found people to be very helpful everywhere, even when I was lost in Mexico.

I have noticed that in times of national crises like 9/11 and even last week, we White folks and Black folks are a little more careful around each other in that we trade greetings more often. As in, "Hi. You ain't gonna hurt me, are you?" Living in an area where the race mix is 60/40 actually helps me to understand the problems, I think.
Exactly, I live in CA but grew up in NY. I might have been a confused tourist because I hadn't been to NYC in 14 years when I went back in 2014. I posted earlier I had to stop people and ask for directions, they were very nice, one guy walked me to the correct subway platform, another woman after asking her about a commuter train said "stick with me that's my train", we sat together and chatted the whole way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Are you a mind reader?

Seems to me most folk are preoccupied with themselves to notice let alone remark about a passerby.

I am not denying racism has been and remains palatable in the US.
Exactly, most people are staring down at their handheld devices, Bigfoot or George Clooney could walk by them and they wouldn't even notice.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:01 PM

24,299 posts, read 16,970,291 times
There is only a Race War going on if you choose to participate in it.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:04 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,766,025 times
This whole thread reminds me of a personal story: I am a white guy, about 10 years ago I worked with 3 black men in a professional setting. The 4 of us got along just fine. In fact, one of them was one of the most intelligent and articulate people I have ever met and I looked up to him professionally. Anyway, we were all in the same organization and would do lunch at least once a week together outside the office. One day, the 3 of them are talking about going out to lunch without me. I felt a little left out that all of a sudden they didn't want me to join them.

They explained that they were going to a Caribbean restaurant for lunch in a black area and it wouldn't be good if I came along and that next week we would all go to another place together.

This was at a fortune 500 company.

I understood and forgot about it. They were good guys, they were trying to protect themselves and me. I guess that was the first time I felt "discrimination" based on my race.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:15 PM

27,301 posts, read 28,371,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Has OP described how he expects to be treated differently?

I didn't think so.
There is definitely an increase of profiling and suspicion towards muslim-looking people whenever there is a major terrorist attack in America.

The Dallas ambush was a fairly minor event in the grand scheme of things. Not nearly bad enough for whites to become suspicious of all African Americans.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:07 PM

384 posts, read 380,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I love this. I go to work in what I call my corporate disguise.
It's totally true. White people judge other white people by how they dress. You can easily be turned down for a job if you don't dress the way an employer thinks you should.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:21 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,103,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Are you a mind reader?

Seems to me most folk are preoccupied with themselves to notice let alone remark about a passerby.

I am not denying racism has been and remains palatable in the US.

More than likely he's the one muttering something when he passes white people about 'the white racist pig/bitsh' or whatever lovely words he uses. Because he's doing it, he ASSumes that white people are doing it.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:33 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,103,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And do you see how talking down to people works?

Talking down?? That's funny. I guess I've just been admonished.

You might want to flag every post in every thread where people are "talking down" to others. It will give you something to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies