Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times

Advertisements

Minneapolis cops quit working WNBA game after Lynx players wear warmup shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' on back

After members of the Minnesota Lynx wore T-shirts Saturday night demanding "change" following two police-involved shootings of black men, four off-duty Minneapolis cops reportedly decided to quit their jobs as arena security guards.

The WNBA players sported black warmup shirts before a game against the Dallas Wings at Target Center that said "Change Starts with Us — Justice and Accountability" on the front; the names of Alton Sterling and Philandro Castile were on the back, along with the Dallas Police Department shield and "Black Lives Matter."

Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Minneapolis Police Federation, told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he anticipated others may "refuse to work there" too.

Cops quit working WNBA game over Lynx players' warmup shirts - NY Daily News

One thing I think police will not continue to allow is being disrespected and lied about. I anticipate more blow back to this hate-filled BLM group from our law enforcement officers and support them 100%.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:58 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yeah, well he has a point. We really are asking them to do a hell of a lot.

But still, cops have to respect the people they serve.
I have never seen any proof the police don't respect the people they serve. We just have a bunch of thugs who want to be able to do crime without getting caught. Civil disobedience has been taught to this generation and they are reaping what their parents sewed.

I am getting really tired of you and Obama bad mouthing the fine law enforcement in this country. Don't expect law enforcement to be more concerned for your life than you are. If you are concerned for your life you won't act in a way to make them fear for their lives. They have a real fear. Yours is imaginary.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:00 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times
He's EXACTLY right. We've dumped all the messed up situations on cops that are NOT law enforcement issues.

People are always complaining about how cops deal with the mentally ill. They aren't doctors. If a mentally ill man charges cops with a baseball bat....why should be be dealt with differently than a sane man who does the same??? Thats not a cops job. Defend oneself. Arrest them. And let the Mental Health Department figure the rest out.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:15 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Writing tickets has nothing to do with public safety?
Depends.

Excessive speed and DUIs are major contributors to serious traffic accidents, destroying lives and property.

Failure to use your turn signal, not so much.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:25 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Depends.

Excessive speed and DUIs are major contributors to serious traffic accidents, destroying lives and property.

A turn signal warns a driver you're about to slow. Why? Because "following too closley" aka "tailgating" is the #1 most common cause for non DUI related traffic accidents. That turn signal should be called a "HEY PERSON RIDING MY BUMPER....PREPARE TO REACT BECAUSE I'M ABOUT TO BEGIN SLOWING DOWN....SIGNAL"

That's why cops write tickers for both following too closely AND not signaling. To reduce accidents.

Which reduces injuries. AND....helps keep insurance costs from soaring.

It's sad watching people blame their bad driving and tickets on cops wanting "revenue".

It's not about "revenue". It's about so many people BEING TERRIBLE DRIVERS.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
He's EXACTLY right. We've dumped all the messed up situations on cops that are NOT law enforcement issues.

People are always complaining about how cops deal with the mentally ill. They aren't doctors. If a mentally ill man charges cops with a baseball bat....why should be be dealt with differently than a sane man who does the same??? Thats not a cops job. Defend oneself. Arrest them. And let the Mental Health Department figure the rest out.
^ that's what LE does when confronted with someone charging them with a bat.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:33 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Minneapolis cops quit working WNBA game after Lynx players wear warmup shirts with 'Black Lives Matter' on back

After members of the Minnesota Lynx wore T-shirts Saturday night demanding "change" following two police-involved shootings of black men, four off-duty Minneapolis cops reportedly decided to quit their jobs as arena security guards.

The WNBA players sported black warmup shirts before a game against the Dallas Wings at Target Center that said "Change Starts with Us — Justice and Accountability" on the front; the names of Alton Sterling and Philandro Castile were on the back, along with the Dallas Police Department shield and "Black Lives Matter."

Lt. Bob Kroll, president of the Minneapolis Police Federation, told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune that he anticipated others may "refuse to work there" too.

Cops quit working WNBA game over Lynx players' warmup shirts - NY Daily News

One thing I think police will not continue to allow is being disrespected and lied about. I anticipate more blow back to this hate-filled BLM group from our law enforcement officers and support them 100%.
Good for the cops.

What's this thread about - cops being asked to do too much... they can remove some of the work off of their plate by doing the above.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
A turn signal warns a driver you're about to slow. Why? Because "following too closley" aka "tailgating" is the #1 most common cause for non DUI related traffic accidents. That turn signal should be called a "HEY PERSON RIDING MY BUMPER....PREPARE TO REACT BECAUSE I'M ABOUT TO BEGIN SLOWING DOWN....SIGNAL"

That's why cops write tickers for both following too closely AND not signaling. To reduce accidents.

Which reduces injuries. AND....helps keep insurance costs from soaring.

It's sad watching people blame their bad driving and tickets on cops wanting "revenue".

It's not about "revenue". It's about so many people BEING TERRIBLE DRIVERS.
I have never been stopped by an officer for any reason including a traffic violation. I have never had a parking ticket. I choose to obey traffic laws even when I don't agree with them. I don't tailgate and assume the car in front of me is being driven by an idiot.

Top 3 Causes of Traffic Accidents

1) Distracted Driving

2) Speeding

3) DUI

Drivers.com: Top 3 Causes of Car Accidents in America

Old 07-12-2016, 10:49 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Depends.

I kind of find this hard to believe, usually when its no turning signal the driver also failed to come to a complete stop, if needed. Usually, there is much more than one issue that brings attention to a driver.

No turning signal has caused accidents, just as much as going through a stop sign. Where should these police officers start if they see something? I would say many officers give warnings at least they are known for this in my area.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:51 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Good for the cops.

What's this thread about - cops being asked to do too much... they can remove some of the work off of their plate by doing the above.
I wish they would refuse every Beyoncé concert. Just why does she need police in the first place, are her followers trouble makers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies