Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 10:58 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times

Advertisements

the irony is that those defending the President here would wild-eyed attack anyone who in a speech lamenting rape, would dare point out that most rape victims are drunk...

Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Again--none of them are the leader of the country. Obama's speech also was tactful, tasteful and appropriate for the occasion.

If you really want to talk about appropriate, what was Bush doing during The Battle Hymn of the Republic? That was some odd behavior for a memorial service.
I've already addressed that several times. I thought he looked like a freaking idiot.

As for your other opinion, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:04 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
the irony is that those defending the President here would wild-eyed attack anyone who in a speech lamenting rape, would dare point out that most rape victims are drunk...
That would be ironic if Obama had blamed the officers for their deaths. But he didn't. He praised them all, as well as the entire Dallas police force and police in this country as a whole. Your comparison is not valid.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:05 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've already addressed that several times. I thought he looked like a freaking idiot.

As for your other opinion, I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.
At least we agree on something about the service. Thank you for being civil.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:06 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
That would be ironic if Obama had blamed the officers for their deaths. But he didn't. He praised them all, as well as the entire Dallas police force and police in this country as a whole. Your comparison is not valid.
Was that praise before or after all the claims that institutional racism exists in law enforcement, which suggested that law enforcement is partially responsible for the crimes that were committed and the deaths of the police officers?

Old 07-13-2016, 11:08 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
he praised them... it was beautiful... he did a very nice job... he humanized them.

then he pointed out that they are dead because cops are racist.

that's what he did. you don't need to agree with it. Kathryn pointed that out.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Here's where he really stepped over the line - not in a general speech, but in this particular venue - addressing the families of slain police officers who were killed because they were white:

Quote:
And so when African Americans from all walks of life, from different communities across the country, voice a growing despair over what they perceive to be unequal treatment; when study after study shows that whites and people of color experience the criminal justice system differently, so that if you’re black you’re more likely to be pulled over or searched or arrested, more likely to get longer sentences, more likely to get the death penalty for the same crime; when mothers and fathers raise their kids right and have “the talk” about how to respond if stopped by a police officer -- “yes, sir,” “no, sir” -- but still fear that something terrible may happen when their child walks out the door, still fear that kids being stupid and not quite doing things right might end in tragedy -- when all this takes place more than 50 years after the passage of the Civil Rights Act, we cannot simply turn away and dismiss those in peaceful protest as troublemakers or paranoid. We can’t simply dismiss it as a symptom of political correctness or reverse racism. To have your experience denied like that, dismissed by those in authority, dismissed perhaps even by your white friends and coworkers and fellow church members again and again and again -- it hurts. Surely we can see that, all of us.
Good lord. Save it for another day.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
At least we agree on something about the service. Thank you for being civil.
You're welcome. That's how I roll.

And back atcha.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:15 AM

59,017 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The police officers were killed by a mentally ill black person that hated white cops and white people in general, he also indicated the reason he did this was because of the shootings. Why would you not expect race to be brought up, ignoring it was really not an option.
BECAUSE you DON'T know what memorial is supposed to be, is NOT my problem.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:16 AM

416 posts, read 260,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Let me ask you this - since you're ignoring something very pertinent in my question - maybe I'll finally get an answer from someone.

Would you consider it appropriate for Obama to go to a memorial service for Sterling, with Sterling's family sitting on the front row, and for him to chastise inner city neighborhoods and the people who live there for their faults? Would you consider it appropriate for him to say, "It's a shame that with all the free books and free computers in public schools and libraries, that young men instead reach for a Glock?"
I would guess people didn't answer your questions KA because they are illogical. Nope, not trying to be mean here, the fact is he would neither be invited nor accept going, hence illogical because it wouldn't happen.

And for the poster that keeps saying Obama displayed scorn for the Dallas Police Dept, please post that comment where he says that. Cutting and pasting is pretty easy and so i'm sure you'll get that up so we better understand where you are coming from. Thanks.

As far as the other speakers not addressing the problems of the nation, it's not in their job description. Obama on the other hand unfortunately is faced with taking to the Bully Pulpit every time he steps to a microphone. Sadly for him he has attended way more of these types of tragedies than most others. Every speech he makes is judged and either applauded or blasted based on the bias of the person listening.

Several of you mentioned the Police Chief and what a great job he did. Would it surprise you if his remarks of Obama's speech were nothing but of praise? I didn't mention his comments because he is black and could already forecast the angry responses as to why. The man has done an incredible job so if you want i'll dig up his comments and gladly post them regarding Obama.

I would agree with one column i read, Obama went on too long. He could have skipped the kid and the books and the Glock for example. I suspect much of that was directed at inner cities like Chicago where guns are common place when in reality books and and computers should be in young people's hands.

All in all the bulk of the articles i read were supportive of what he said. The Breitbarts of the world hated it, but they would have hated anything he said. Sadly, too many of the haters rely on those types of sites to from their opinions.

Just saying eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies