Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 09:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

I don't know how many times he mentioned himself, but I do know that at a memorial service for five slain police officers, he mentioned Shelton and Castilo by name twice as often as he mentioned any of the officers.

Don't believe me? Read the speech. Count. Be appalled.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:37 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,410,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know how many times he mentioned himself, but I do know that at a memorial service for five slain police officers, he mentioned Shelton and Castilo by name twice as often as he mentioned any of the officers.

Yep. Disgusting. And imagine if at THEIR funerals he said we must remember that some cops might be rightfully scared because of the high violent crime rate blacks commit. It would be appalling. And he did the equivalent at those cops funerals.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:43 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
So if he had used the Imperial "We" 35 times you would all be happy?

Over half the population rates him positively.

Weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:45 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,624,440 times
Quote:

Absolutely disgusting. This POS manages to outdo himself every time! No matter how atrocious his speeches are, the next one is always worse...

Old 07-12-2016, 10:22 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:

I count this:

Quote:
These men, this department -- this is the America I know. And today, in this audience, I see people who have protested on behalf of criminal justice reform grieving alongside police officers. I see people who mourn for the five officers we lost but also weep for the families of Alton Sterling and Philando Castile. In this audience, I see what’s possible -- (applause) -- I see what's possible when we recognize that we are one American family, all deserving of equal treatment, all deserving of equal respect, all children of God. That’s the America that I know.

Quote:
But even those who dislike the phrase “Black Lives Matter,” surely we should be able to hear the pain of Alton Sterling’s family. (Applause.) We should -- when we hear a friend describe him by saying that “Whatever he cooked, he cooked enough for everybody,” that should sound familiar to us, that maybe he wasn’t so different than us, so that we can, yes, insist that his life matters. Just as we should hear the students and coworkers describe their affection for Philando Castile as a gentle soul -- “Mr. Rogers with dreadlocks,” they called him -- and know that his life mattered to a whole lot of people of all races, of all ages, and that we have to do what we can, without putting officers' lives at risk, but do better to prevent another life like his from being lost.

That's it for mention of Alton and Philandro, apart from a factual, relevant statement about the reason for the protest.

He may have only mentioned the officers individually once or twice, but a large portion of his speech talked about them collectively, either "them" or "the five" or "they" or "the officers" or "these heroes" or "these outstanding men".

It would have been rather awkward to say all five names individually every time he mentioned them. Sheesh.

I'd go through and highlight how often he mentions the officers collectively, but that would take way longer than it took to highlight the two civilians.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I count this:

That's it for mention of Alton and Philandro, apart from a factual, relevant statement about the reason for the protest.

He may have only mentioned the officers individually once or twice, but a large portion of his speech talked about them collectively, either "them" or "the five" or "they" or "the officers" or "these heroes" or "these outstanding men".

It would have been rather awkward to say all five names individually every time he mentioned them. Sheesh.

I'd go through and highlight how often he mentions the officers collectively, but that would take way longer than it took to highlight the two civilians.
I'm not going to copy and paste the same thing over and over again in various threads, but your count is wrong. He mentioned - by name - Shelton and Castilo exactly twice as many times as he mentioned each dead officer's name. He gave cute little personal anecdotes about what great guys these two were as well. Now look, Castilo might have been a great guy - I don't know - but I do know that Shelton most definitely was NOT - the man had a rap sheet of felonies long enough to wallpaper my dining room. And besides that - why honor those men at these mens' memorial service? Would he honor the fallen police officers at Shelton or Castilo's memorial services? Would he offer up sweet little personal anecdotes about their families, their hobbies, etc at those mens' services?

I highly doubt it.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:52 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Obama is narcosisstic.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
Just did a search of the speech. Obama uses the word president twice in the speech, he use I as a person pronoun maybe 6 times in the body of the speech and that's about it. Where this 45 references come from is a total mystery to me.

Maybe others can do better...

READ: Full transcript of President Obama's speech at Dallas memorial service | WFAA.com
I counted 42 uses of the word "I" or "me," but my count could be off by a couple of pronouns.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:59 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I think his speech was over-all moronic, Period, and don't think he should have even been there.

Old 07-12-2016, 11:05 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
The "I" to which he refers is "I, The President of the United States". H e relates his experience and feelings in that role.

How on earth can one object to that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies