Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,707,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
In the 60s and prior, the problem was racist whites and those who turned a blind eye to the oppression of African-Americans and other African descendants.

Now, the problem is on both sides.

What happened to those racist whites of the 60's and the children they raised up under racist teachings? I am interested to know how you know or feel that the problem was racist whites in the 60's, without being able to read their minds, but know today that the problem is not racist whites? In the 60's, many whites said that blacks were the problem or "northern agitators". Some said that blacks were actually happy and content.

Here is my thing. Take out the racial epithets and certain words.....how is the conservative argument today different from the racist argument in the 60's? Racist can and are liberal and conservative......but I find the core argument of white conservatives to be very similar to the argument of racist of the past....minus racial epithets or use of terms like inferior and superior.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-13-2016 at 07:15 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Decades ago there may have been more racist whites than non racist ones. That's not the case today though. It's a shame that nearly seventy years after the civil rights movement there is still work left to do, but significant progress has been made and will continue to be made. It's not perfect in 2016, but it's far better than 1956.
I do not know if I agree with that. I think the past, for sure, racist whites were more filled with HATE, but today, in my opinion, most racist are not filled with hate. They just don't see black humanity as equal with white humanity, but they don't hate black people because of it. It just results in seeing blacks are inferior.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:11 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
I will respect Malcom X. However, I don't believe in violence or aggression to spread your message. MLK was a genius and a peace keeper. He changed the minds of many great leaders. In addition, felt he saw the coming of this. Welfare and Goverment handouts continue to hold the poor down and unfortunately many minorities. Some changes could of been made back then and the 90's, but it didn't happen. Think many of these individuals feel entitled to Goverment assistance and wabt little to do to change. When they see bad apples violence erupts because it messes with the status quo and see no other way to approach the issues.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
People like you are much appreciated. Thank you. Here is the thing. Even if you had not witnessed it yourself, that blacks are treated differently (and not just by the police) RESPECT BLACK HUMANITY WHEN THEY SAY IT IS SO!!!! If we were respected, then you would not have to witness it for yourself to believe us. If we were respected as a people, we would be given the benefit of the doubt when people are not able to see things for themselves. However, in America, we are not given that benefit because our humanity is not nor has ever been respected.

OK, Here is where I have a problem with your premise.

I would point out that I believe that racism still exists, however there are a TON of false cries of racism. In fact the amount of false cries is so large and pervasive even coming from black professionals and even professors, it is amazing.

I used to ALWAYS give the benefit of the doubt. Not as much anymore.

Did you ever consider THAT is the reason there is a bit of doubt in the minds of some?

There have been numerous studies shared in various threads concerning the statistical FACT that overall there is NOT a "war against blacks" by the police.

Now this doesn't mean that in some places there might be. I believe Ferguson was actually pretty bad in that regard. I think Dallas had a big problem awhile back but has done a tremendous job cleaning it up. Some places are better than others.

The whole "Hands up Don't Shoot" meme came from the Michael Brown incident. In another thread (perhaps started by you) someone said something along the lines of "Some had said the MB thing was predicated on a lie...as if that matters"

Well it DOES matter.

MB's friend told everyone how he was just so cooperative and had his hands up saying don't shoot and the policeman shot him down like an animal.

THAT WAS A LIE. But that falsehood is the motto of BLM????

That is so terribly wrong on so many levels.

I cannot feel empathy for something that is UNTRUE. Can't you understand that?

False narratives and fake incidents only makes the American community at large less inclined to take real incidences seriously. You HAVE to be able to understand that. It is human nature "The Boy who Cried Wolf" story and all that.

So, yes on the one hand I can certainly appreciate that in some locales there is a very real problem, but part of the blame for the lack of "respect" as you call it, has to be shared by those in the black community that would exploit a real problem for gain or self promotion.

I am 100% for bringing the hammer down HARD on any real case of discrimination or mistreatment by those in positions of power, but I would also bring the hammer down equally hard on those who are found to be crying wolf, because frankly, it is just as damaging to the ultimate cause of getting real racism and discrimination out of all our lives.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
What happened to those racist whites of the 60's and the children they raised up under racist teachings? I am interested to know how you know or feel that the problem was racist whites in the 60's, without being able to read their minds, but know today that the problem is not racist whites? In the 60's, many whites said that blacks were the problem or "northern agitators". Some said that blacks were actually happy and content.

Here is my thing. Take out the racial epithets and certain words.....how is the conservative argument today different from the racist argument in the 60's? Racist can and are liberal and conservative......but I find the core argument of white conservatives to be very similar to the argument of racist of the past....minus racial epithets or use of terms like inferior and superior.

Please define "the conservative argument" for me? I'm pretty conservative on many things and I am definitely not racist, nor do I advocate anyone being treated as "less than".

Old 07-13-2016, 07:18 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:

VS

Why did black men in the 60's feel that they needed to tell America that they are MEN? Why do black people in 2016 need to tell America that Black lives Matter? Is history repeating itself? When black men needed to say that they were MEN, Martin Luther King Jr was alive and hated by much of white America. Every civil rights organization, their leadership, their marches and their tactics were hated by much of white America. Many whites back then said that blacks were the problem and did not see themselves as being wrong. What is the difference between then and now? History revealed who was right and who was wrong.

Thoughts.
Were these men in the 60's wanting to be a part of America or were they trying to take over states and kick anyone not black out?

Old 07-13-2016, 07:19 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
I agree. I think most white people do too. You can say we are the silent majority on this. We're not as vocal as the lingering racists, but don't doubt we exist. There are plenty of us who want to see cops treat everyone fairly regardless of race.

I want that and I also want to see people treat cops fairly.

Last edited by bluesjuke; 07-13-2016 at 08:28 AM..

Old 07-13-2016, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
I will respect Malcom X. However, I don't believe in violence or aggression to spread your message. MLK was a genius and a peace keeper. He changed the minds of many great leaders. In addition, felt he saw the coming of this. Welfare and Goverment handouts continue to hold the poor down and unfortunately many minorities. Some changes could of been made back then and the 90's, but it didn't happen. Think many of these individuals feel entitled to Goverment assistance and wabt little to do to change. When they see bad apples violence erupts because it messes with the status quo and see no other way to approach the issues.
MLK was despised and hated by many whites when he was alive. He was not considered a genius a genius or a person that created unity. He was considered a communist and a divider.

What I am saying is that what whites were doing in the 60's, towards black leadership and cause, they are doing today to. Black leadership was hated and sought to be discredited in the 60's. Blacks vocalizing their unhappiness with their treatment by society made many people angry at blacks. The same thing is going on today. However, history proved blacks correct in the past and whites wrong. How do whites know today that 50 years from now, they will not be seen as the ones wrong again?

Old 07-13-2016, 07:28 AM

59,040 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:

VS

Why did black men in the 60's feel that they needed to tell America that they are MEN? Why do black people in 2016 need to tell America that Black lives Matter? Is history repeating itself? When black men needed to say that they were MEN, Martin Luther King Jr was alive and hated by much of white America. Every civil rights organization, their leadership, their marches and their tactics were hated by much of white America. Many whites back then said that blacks were the problem and did not see themselves as being wrong. What is the difference between then and now? History revealed who was right and who was wrong.

Thoughts.
"Why did black men in the 60's feel that they needed to tell America that they are MEN?'

Because they had an inferiority complex.

Back then it was common slang to call ALL males "boy" or "boys" no matter what the age.

I could come with dozens of examples but, you wouldn't care.

Blacks, as usual, thought when THEY were called a boy was a direct insult when it WASN'T.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 AM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Why did black men in the 60's feel that they needed to tell America that they are MEN?'

Because they had an inferiority complex.

Back then it was common slang to call ALL males "boy" or "boys" no matter what the age.

I could come with dozens of examples but, you wouldn't care.

Blacks, as usual, thought when THEY were called a boy was a direct insult when it WASN'T.

I am old enough to seen the heavy racism- hatred- bullying- name calling- pranks- separation- in my life time. Sorry but no- you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies