Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2016, 07:31 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In truth....nearly ALL SOLUTIONS presented are not doable. BLack people can actually pull themselves up, but it would require the type of black unity and promotion that redirect black dollars and resources to black businesses and communities. We would have to discriminate in favor of other black people. However, this will be attacked as reverse racism and whites would sue arguing that they should be able to do the same which would then make such efforts on the part of black discriminatory because there would be whites trying to gain access only to say they were discriminated against.

Solutions are not really practical is a society that is still racist.
That's why I think the only real solution is long-term, person to person, and partially based on the dwindling number of old White Republican-leaning men while the country becomes minority majority. (And, BTW, I am an old White man).

And even if they don't know it consciously, I think that's what scares a lot of old White men.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
For me the issue is not color but rather culture. Just as I have no use for what we whites refer to as "white trash", I have no use for what I call for lack of a better term "ghetto culture". I would gladly trade the white trash family that lives across the road from me for a black family with middle class values. Those who choose to live a white trash or ghetto culture life are free to do so, just don't expect me to approve of your choices or to view you as my cultural equal. Please note that simply being poor does not automatically make you white trash or ghetto culture. There are many poor people, black and white, who share middle class values, just on a tighter budget is all.

Please also note that regardless of whether I approve of someone's life choices, I treat everyone with respect. If I don't know your name I address you as Sir or M'am. I say excuse me, please and thank you to all, and extend all common courtesies to everyone regardless of their color or societal status. I do not treat anyone differently because of their color, yet I have no doubt but some here see it as OK for me to look down on white trash but view me as a racist for looking down on ghetto culture. They view life through a color prism and are blinded to any variable that isn't color.

As an aside, middle class and professional blacks do the same, they just won't own up to it. They steer clear of and look down on the ghetto culture too.
In my view, a reasonable post.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:34 PM

Quote:
I

You are probably right.....but what falls under "ghetto culture" for black people, I bet, is a much smaller percent of the black population than what falls under your umbrella. For me, I honestly feel the same way that you feel concerning ghetto and white trash culture, about conservative culture. When I say conservative, I mean people who vote that way. I really do not like being around conservative people. To me they are just nasty people.
Even as a White person, my relationships with conservative friends is restrained.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Your emotions prevent you from understanding the message.

You're practically covering your ears shouting "lalalala, I can't hear you, lalalala" at the top of your lungs.
Not at all. I thought carefully before I wrote that. And I realized then, as I realize now, when I am being talked down to.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:37 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
https://jrcreativeink.files.wordpres...an-protest.jpg

VS

http://1csabj4ddrd61fgqez2e4nss.wpen...sdfsfdsdfs.jpg

Why did black men in the 60's feel that they needed to tell America that they are MEN? Why do black people in 2016 need to tell America that Black lives Matter? Is history repeating itself? When black men needed to say that they were MEN, Martin Luther King Jr was alive and hated by much of white America. Every civil rights organization, their leadership, their marches and their tactics were hated by much of white America. Many whites back then said that blacks were the problem and did not see themselves as being wrong. What is the difference between then and now? History revealed who was right and who was wrong.

Thoughts.
I don't remember Martin Luther King being hated by anyone.. not by anyone I know.. I thought everyone liked him.. I was a teen at the time and never heard anything negative about black people from my family or anyone elses family. I grew up in Central NJ.

I do remember my father saying, that Malcolm X was in danger and thought he might be killed and I was shocked he was killed. This was I believe before MLK was killed by some old guy with a rifle down south. This is what I remember as a teen.

My father talked about George Wallace a democrat who was a racist.. causing major trouble with his racist words. I saw him on tv and thought , why is he so hateful?

I really didn't watch much political things but understood was was happening in the sixites.. my family just watched it but never was prejudiced or said anything close to being a racist. They looked at everyone the same.. My dad and mom both worked with black people and had friends who were black so there was no racial talk at all.

Same with my grandparents. They just lived their lives without hating anyone. I saw no division ever.No bias , nothing. That is why I don't understand racism or why blacks resent whites or whites are racists.We didn't live it.. it was quite normal .

Old 07-13-2016, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Keep in mind she's quoting statistics straight from White Supremacist Jared Taylor without crediting him. He obviously has an agenda. Please take a look at this article:

Tim Wise » Race, Crime and Statistical Malpractice: How the Right Manipulates White Fear With Bogus Data
Our statistician is a she?

Oops.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:00 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
This one gave me a chuckle. The only time I was ever profiled was when a black Sheriff's Deputy pulled me over for what I knew was the crime of driving in VT with MA license plates. The drug supply in VT mostly comes up from Springfield/Holyoke, MA, Albany, NY, and NYC and he thought maybe he had a dealer when he spotted the MA plates on a country road far from the resort communities. The brief moment he saw me coming around a curve in the opposite direction from him wasn't enough for him to have fully sized me up and known I didn't really fit the drug dealer profile but once he set the process in motion he had to see it through. I had a 2nd home in VT and I was on my way to the dump. He whips around, pulls me over, and wants to know what I'm doing in town today. I tell him I have a 2nd home on such and such road and was going to the dump (pretty obvious given the trash in the back of my truck). He checks my license and registration and wants to know if they're my current address. I say yes, that's my primary address (which was an upscale community, not Springfield/Holyoke), this is a 2nd home that I have here. He then asks what's the house #. I tell him the # and describe the house and location (everyone in town knows my property and that folks from MA owned it), and again that it is a 2nd home. Again he wants to know where I'm headed thinking maybe he's going to get a different answer than the 1st time he asked me. This time I point out what's in the bed of my truck in case he thinks I stole the broken bird bath. I knew before we got to this point that he already knew I was way too old to be a drug dealer, that I really did have a 2nd home here, that my record is spotless, and that if I was an out of State drug dealer it'd of been the 1st one he's come across driving a pickup truck and living where I lived. It is only at that point he saves face by telling me I was driving a bit fast and to slow down. Though I knew I was profiled based on my MA plates I was polite and courteous, and found a bit of humor in the whole thing.
Never thought of it.. maybe I was profiled.. kept getting pulled over in a red corvette I had.. I am white.. white and black cops pulled me over a lot..I remember being stopped and given a ticket, for going 35 in a 25 mile an hour zone.. was pulled over 10 minutes later, showed him my 10 minute traffic ticket and he let me go. Kept getting pulled over..it could be the car..

Old 07-13-2016, 08:03 PM

13,242 posts, read 4,922,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
...We have the best chance to end this vicious cycle HERE in the US. Whether we really want to or not is the real issue.
Completely agree the odds are good re: ending the vicious cycle here. Also agree our desire to do so historically seems sketchy or uneven.

Although, if not now? When?
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell
At the end of the day, we can't expect white people to "fix" other white people. We have to make changes in our own community. Until everyone is on the same page, I'm just gonna worry about my own well-being because I feel like I'm fighting a losing battle when I have these conversations with other black folks. ...
If white people cannot 'fix' other white people, why are black people expected to do so?

It's not a losing battle, you are very likely influencing many more people in many more ways than you realize. Thanks & respect.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post

If white people cannot 'fix' other white people, why are black people expected to do so?

It's not a losing battle, you are very likely influencing many more people in many more ways than you realize. Thanks & respect.
1. Good point about fixing people.
2. Yes, it's a person to person effort, and not one that will necessarily be noticed/credited.
3. Here's where I've failed -- sometimes not speaking up, sometimes not doing what needed to be done; being inconsistent.

Old 07-13-2016, 08:13 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,171,874 times
Quote:
You cannot say that the problem is really on both sides today, when the problems from yesterday were never fixed and hence created a legacy of complications today that you see as the problems WE cause. If there was a reset button and all the ramifications of 300 years of racial oppression were eliminated a generation ago......then you could say that the problems of today is both sides. However, that is not the case, much of the problems of today are rooted in yesterday's problems that were never fixed.

Yes, I can because people still have freedom of choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies