Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:13 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,211,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
It's not really a reasonable complaint. It's whining plain and simple. The officers were on duty. More than likely perhaps even working during what should have been their off hours due to the protestors. If the protestors were hungry enough...leave. They were not REQUIRED to be there to keep their job. Geez...some people will make excuses for anything these days..... What were the police supposed to do, take their order and pay for it with our tax dollars?

The lengths people will go to...

I get that the cops were doing their. And I'm not really angry with the cops. There is a law in Georgia, stating that if protesters leave an area, they are not allowed back to protest. This sounds, to me, like a little trick to prevent protests and artificially end them. Which is, as I explained, a violation of free speech for the reasons I gave.

The thing is, the law says that protesters are not allowed in and the people delivering the food (that they were paying for; don't ****ing lie, there's no way they'd ask for the police to pay for it nor were they the one's ordering it; you should work for CNN; you're great at completely misrepresenting the truth and thinking that's ok) are not protesters. The argument is that there's no reason, other than to keep the protest from going on longer (which seems to not be very pro-first amendment), that a food deliver person shouldn't be allowed to drop off food to the protesters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:19 PM

3,999 posts, read 4,123,057 times
*Sarcasm on* Hypothetically, there's a fire down the street and the fire trucks and police vehicles are blocking the road to my house and I call Domino's for a pizza delivery (and yes... Domino's sucks but it was the first nasty chain that came to mind ) .... And someone brought some food to the hard working men and women battling the blaze I'm supposed to be mad at who now? Domino's for not plowing through? The firemen/policemen? Got to be PC correct anymore right because it couldn't be because I WAS STUPID!!!

Old 07-13-2016, 02:20 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,540,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post

The lengths people will go to...

I get that the cops were doing their. And I'm not really angry with the cops. There is a law in Georgia, stating that if protesters leave an area, they are not allowed back to protest. This sounds, to me, like a little trick to prevent protests and artificially end them. Which is, as I explained, a violation of free speech for the reasons I gave.

The thing is, the law says that protesters are not allowed in and the people delivering the food (that they were paying for; don't ****ing lie, there's no way they'd ask for the police to pay for it nor were they the one's ordering it; you should work for CNN; you're great at completely misrepresenting the truth and thinking that's ok) are not protesters. The argument is that there's no reason, other than to keep the protest from going on longer (which seems to not be very pro-first amendment), that a food deliver person shouldn't be allowed to drop off food to the protesters.

Couldn't they have packed a lunch?

I mean if I plan on protesting all day I'm going to be bringing some food and drinks cause I know I'm going to be there awhile.

Maybe next time they will.

Lesson learned. That is always a good thing.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:33 PM

45,318 posts, read 26,855,200 times
Quote:
Fascism. You are a fascist.

I could end that there, but actually, I do think an argument could be made that the police were overstepping their authority. While the Georgian constitution does have a miraculous anti-free speech qualifier, saying that the police can effectively control a protest by not allowing new protesters to join in, the police weren't allowing food to be delivered, and to my knowledge, the police can't do that since the person entering the protest wasn't a protesters. And as I said, it's not like the food delivery guy could stay. He was working.
I am realist. There is a time and place for everything.

Police officers run red lights frequently. You going to start running red lights just because you consider it unfair that they do it? Or, do you record them and file a complaint?

If you have a problem, go through the proper channels.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Couldn't they have packed a lunch?

I mean if I plan on protesting all day I'm going to be bringing some food and drinks cause I know I'm going to be there awhile.

Maybe next time they will.

Lesson learned. That is always a good thing.
But you're missing the bigger picture of my criticism. Regardless of how deep that twitter video was trying to get, a law that allows the police to basically take control of a protest should really concern everyone. The fact that a guy on twitter made a comment about the police getting food and they couldn't isn't really the bigger issue I'm seeing.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am realist. There is a time and place for everything.

Police officers run red lights frequently. You going to start running red lights just because you consider it unfair that they do it? Or, do you record them and file a complaint?

If you have a problem, go through the proper channels.
What exactly is your point here? The unfortunate reality, Mr. Realist, is that the proper channels sometimes don't allow things to actually change. This is why protests happen and why the founders, knowing that this can sometimes happen, allowed for protests under the first amendment.

Personally, I don't care what they were protesting. I don't even really care that they personally couldn't order food there. My issue is that the Georgia law that made this controversy possible is weirdly anti-liberal (lower case 'l' meaning the kind of liberal that promotes things like democracy and free speech).

Old 07-13-2016, 02:39 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,525,030 times
Quote:
But you're missing the bigger picture of my criticism. Regardless of how deep that twitter video was trying to get, a law that allows the police to basically take control of a protest should really concern everyone. The fact that a guy on twitter made a comment about the police getting food and they couldn't isn't really the bigger issue I'm seeing.
My only concern would be that they are not in charge. It is their job to be in charge of the whole town. What kind of people think they are supposed to tell the police what they can and cannot do on a public street or government property. My opinion is they are bullies and not very smart. Who do they think they are anyway?

Old 07-13-2016, 02:42 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,895,769 times
Another lets write about Black people thread. It doesn't inform. It isnt designed to bring together logical debate or conversation about subject. Its just about Black people from those who don't care for them.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
My only concern would be that they are not in charge. It is their job to be in charge of the whole town. What kind of people think they are supposed to tell the police what they can and cannot do on a public street or government property. My opinion is they are bullies and not very smart. Who do they think they are anyway?
I didn't see anyone telling the police what to do. Not in this protest anyway. The worst I saw was a guying accusing them of being hypocrites from a far. They might not have even heard him.

Old 07-13-2016, 02:45 PM

10,189 posts, read 7,918,221 times
BLM Supporter Mad That Atlanta Police Were Served Chik-Fil-A While They Got Nothing

:c rying::cry ing:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies