Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 02:58 PM

384 posts, read 383,006 times

Advertisements

I think most of us would agree that an innocent person should not be shot by the police.
I also think most would agree that resisting arrest is not a good reason for the police to shoot you (unless you are considered a threat).

With all the police shootings going on, I think it is at least a possibility than some of the people shot did not deserve to be shot and killed. This is wrong. Correct?

So how should this problem be addressed?

Isn't it also wrong to imprison a cop if he honestly felt like he was defending himself? How can it be determined what the cops motives were?

Any cop who kills a black man just because he is black should go to jail for life. Agreed? But how do we determine this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2016, 02:59 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,464,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
Does anyone have a good solution to the police shootings problem
I don't think it is as big a problem as it is being made to appear.

[]

Old 07-13-2016, 03:03 PM

10,832 posts, read 14,926,797 times
What problem?

4,491 posts, read 2,223,674 times
The thing is, most of us can name a handful of police shootings, with various levels of justification. But probably not more than 10 or 15, tops. Last year, 300 black people were shot by police, and nearly twice that number of white people were shot.

Why haven't we heard about any of these?

I'm going to take a wild guess and assume that the overwhelming majority of these cases were examples when the person shot was very clearly a threat.

Yes, it's sad to see someone who didn't need to die get shot by a cop because the cop misunderstood or acted without thinking. But I'm fairly certain the overall number of police shootings has been going down over the years, and I don't think the problem is actually getting worse. We're just talking about it more.

1,912 posts, read 2,409,112 times
I have THE answer.

1. Acknowledge that the statistics show this is a rare occurrence in day to day policing and is grossly overblown by the left and the media to get ratings and votes.

2. Stop committing crimes.

2B. If you can't do that....dont resist arrest.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:06 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times
We could also either drastically reduce or eliminate most police forces.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:12 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,140,130 times
Gag the media from reporting anything other than fact. Murrow, Cronkite and others are probably flipping over in their graves seeing what has happened to the actual business of News.... remember who what when where why...NO OPINION!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:12 PM

23,523 posts, read 17,205,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuja1 View Post
I think most of us would agree that an innocent person should not be shot by the police.
I also think most would agree that resisting arrest is not a good reason for the police to shoot you (unless you are considered a threat).

With all the police shootings going on, I think it is at least a possibility than some of the people shot did not deserve to be shot and killed. This is wrong. Correct?

So how should this problem be addressed?

Isn't it also wrong to imprison a cop if he honestly felt like he was defending himself? How can it be determined what the cops motives were?

Any cop who kills a black man just because he is black should go to jail for life. Agreed? But how do we determine this?
Read the statistics and get real.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:27 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,588,782 times
For every encounter ending in a death or undue violence, there are millions more that are normal, average encounters.

Having said that, it's not a problem that exists solely on the side of the people or the cops. So, I would suggest this -

All cops should be required to undergo psychological testing both prior to being hired, and annually following their hiring. Done by an outside agency with clear defined actions that need to be taken given certain indicators of undue stress, depression, racism, etc.

Standards for cops should be raised and cops working in large cities with higher crime rates should be paid more than their counterparts in calm suburbs that have more taxpayer money and larger budgets.

Cops should be trained on an ongoing basis about how to deal with certain situations and personalities so that they use a gun as a last resort.

Cops should be immediately fired if suddenly their camera doesn't work during an encounter where an incident took place.

Good cops should denounce bad cops and work to get rid of them.

Cops who have used excessive force, who have killed innocent people when their lives weren't threatened, should lose their jobs and be tried in a court of law.

Cops should have more protective gear.

No quotas in departments should be set for numbers of arrests or stops or anything else.

No targeting of certain ethnic groups should be done.

In areas of a higher crime rate, the community should be educated about why more frequent stops are being made of the citizens who are there. That sounds simple, but people don't seem to be connecting the dots. This is not a racial issue, by the way, it's the same complaint in small poorer towns where 100% of the population is white and the crime rate is higher than the norm.

Parents of all races should counsel their children to be extra respectful when dealing with anyone who has a gun.

Parents of all races should tell their children to explain to a cop where your drivers license is and ask permission to retrieve it...and do so slowly once permission has been granted.

Parents should not argue with cops in front of their children.

People who argue with cops should know they are escalating the situation simply by being argumentative.

Parents and other citizens should denounce emotionally charged rhetoric that leads to violence against police officers.

Parents should teach their children that most cops are well-intentioned, rather than teaching them they're all against them and it's okay to be disrespectful toward them.

Death penalty for anyone found guilty of killing a cop.

That won't prevent this 100% of the time, but odds are numbers will vastly improve.

Old 07-13-2016, 03:37 PM

529 posts, read 369,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Spoiler
For every encounter ending in a death or undue violence, there are millions more that are normal, average encounters.

Having said that, it's not a problem that exists solely on the side of the people or the cops. So, I would suggest this -

All cops should be required to undergo psychological testing both prior to being hired, and annually following their hiring. Done by an outside agency with clear defined actions that need to be taken given certain indicators of undue stress, depression, racism, etc.

Standards for cops should be raised and cops working in large cities with higher crime rates should be paid more than their counterparts in calm suburbs that have more taxpayer money and larger budgets.

Cops should be trained on an ongoing basis about how to deal with certain situations and personalities so that they use a gun as a last resort.

Cops should be immediately fired if suddenly their camera doesn't work during an encounter where an incident took place.

Spoiler
Good cops should denounce bad cops and work to get rid of them.

Cops who have used excessive force, who have killed innocent people when their lives weren't threatened, should lose their jobs and be tried in a court of law.

Cops should have more protective gear.

No quotas in departments should be set for numbers of arrests or stops or anything else.

No targeting of certain ethnic groups should be done.

In areas of a higher crime rate, the community should be educated about why more frequent stops are being made of the citizens who are there. That sounds simple, but people don't seem to be connecting the dots. This is not a racial issue, by the way, it's the same complaint in small poorer towns where 100% of the population is white and the crime rate is higher than the norm.

Parents of all races should counsel their children to be extra respectful when dealing with anyone who has a gun.

Parents of all races should tell their children to explain to a cop where your drivers license is and ask permission to retrieve it...and do so slowly once permission has been granted.

Parents should not argue with cops in front of their children.

People who argue with cops should know they are escalating the situation simply by being argumentative.

Parents and other citizens should denounce emotionally charged rhetoric that leads to violence against police officers.

Parents should teach their children that most cops are well-intentioned, rather than teaching them they're all against them and it's okay to be disrespectful toward them.

Death penalty for anyone found guilty of killing a cop.

That won't prevent this 100% of the time, but odds are numbers will vastly improve.

As usual a pretty great post from you.

The one glaring issue I see right off is the bold part. That is pretty harsh considering the nature of electronic equipment and the chance it may or may not be damaged during a violent encounter.

I think maybe this is in response to the two cops in Baton Rouge and how BOTH of their cameras "fell off" during their "wrestling match" with the suspect.

I agree that is pretty convenient and very suspicious, but to make such a rigid and broad "rule" like you suggest is not the right answer in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies