Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 09:10 AM

222 posts, read 185,689 times

Advertisements

Legally it's all going to boil down to what happened during the stop.
The Supreme Court has already ruled that police DO NOT need probably cause to stop you (paraphrasing that ruling) so debating WHY they pulled him over is useless.

It's also going to boil down to her word against the cops which goes into credibility and I think hers is in damage control.

If someone decides to bring up the reason for the stop the cop can easily say that the driver fit the description of the robber (they actually do look alike and if that county doesn't use race in the description then the term "wide set nose" isn't alarming as you would need some general physical description).

Old 07-14-2016, 09:50 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justw8 View Post
Legally it's all going to boil down to what happened during the stop.
The Supreme Court has already ruled that police DO NOT need probably cause to stop you (paraphrasing that ruling) so debating WHY they pulled him over is useless.

This is the point I have been trying make.
A. Since they don't need probable cause,
B. Since most law enforcement agencies can tell you the number of gangs and their members in most cities, for instance; Baton Rouge /30 gangs / 500 members.

Then why aren't they rolling up on the dudes in the big SUV who everybody knows (police included) are ridding dirty with guns, drugs and cash?
But nooooo, they are bum rushing Kids on bicycles, Mister Rodgers, petty thieves and street hustlers hawking CD’s and cigarettes.
Remember, they don’t need probable cause to roll up on the Suge knights in their neighborhood and say “license and registration.”

Last edited by thriftylefty; 07-14-2016 at 09:59 AM..

Old 07-14-2016, 09:51 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
This is what I see too.

Those cops were making $70K+ a year. The department can afford to hire professional people. No department needs a guy who yells "f**k" at the top of his lungs every 15 seconds.
Very interesting. Where did you read that this officer was making over $70k a year?

Link, please.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:58 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Are you saying Castillo was personally known by the entire police department and that is why he was constantly pulled over? Because I'm still trying to see how "wide nose" was the basis for pulling him over preceding his death.

This whole case is a litmus test where the typical right winger will say he deserved to die. A nerdy young man who worked many years for the school cafeterias, beloved by parents and children alike, that took the trouble to get a concealed carry permit.

He was pulled over 52 times, for reasons as lame as not wearing a seatbelt. Stop trying to make this guy out to be a hardened criminal. He was far from it.

Stopped 52 times by police: Was it racial profiling? - Business Insider
I get that blacks tend to get pulled over more than others. I really do. But I'm a blonde haired, blue eyed white guy, and I've been pulled over for weak-ass reasons plenty of times. Sometimes, the cops in the area are bored and have nothing better to do. I had the misfortune to be scheduled to work both Friday and Saturday nights, got off of work at 1AM and my drive home took me through several small towns. I got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop at 1:30AM with no other cars in sight for miles (cop car was hiding). Thing is, I did come to a complete stop. One time, I pulled over in one of those tiny towns to safely switch out CD's. Within seconds, there was a cop pulled up behind me wanting to know why I was legally pulled over. After awhile, I picked up enough nitpicky tickets that -- unbeknownst to me -- my license was automatically suspended. After that happened, the first cop who got behind me (while I was going the speed limit and obeying every traffic law) ran my plates, pulled me over and arrested me. I had no clue it was suspended at the time.

I know something about getting pulled over for no reason and harassed. In my case, it was bored small town cops looking for drunks on Friday and Saturday night, but who felt the need to write a ticket for anything they could dream up when the realized I wasn't drunk. Doesn't do any good to get angry about it. And I didn't have to be black either. Sometimes cops are just buttholes on a power trip. You can't change that fact. Just do everything you can to keep yourself safe in the moment.

I do think that every cop should be required to have a lapel camera running at all times while they're on duty. If we had that, we'd know exactly what happened and see things from the cop's perspective. The mistake here is jumping to conclusions and getting all outraged without knowing all of the facts. Nobody said it was right for cops to kill anybody on a whim. Nobody said it was okay for cops to pull over one group way more than another. If Castillo had a suspended license at the time, it would have gotten him pulled over sooner or later anyways.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:02 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
The cop was nervous and highly excitable. Not the type cut out to do police work unless it was a lower stress job, like in the office or something.
Quote:
Not like that! He was actually yelling profanity. Where is the professionalism in that? Imagine being a doctor or a fireman or any other high stress profession -- when would they ever yell profanities? Seriously.... some people aren't cut out for those types of jobs.
The officer who had just shot a man surely would be under very high stress. Even the best of folks sometimes will lose their control and shout some inappropriate language. It isn't good, but it happens.

Consider if president of the country can be considered a high stress profession, and language that is appropriate to it.

HildaBeast ...maybe there should be exceptions for high stress situations as shown.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Not like that! He was actually yelling profanity. Where is the professionalism in that? Imagine being a doctor or a fireman or any other high stress profession -- when would they ever yell profanities? Seriously.... some people aren't cut out for those types of jobs.
I think professionalism goes out the window when there is a loss of life on your watch. If honestly be more against the cop if he WASNT so hysterical. Him being hysterical shows he's probably not used to shooting/killing someone. For example in very skeptical of the "girlfriend" who so non chalantly said "did he just die?" But that's my own personal opinion. Again, not criminal.

NOW - does that make what he did illegal? Can't say until we get all the facts.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:20 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,074,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justw8 View Post
I think professionalism goes out the window when there is a loss of life on your watch. If honestly be more against the cop if he WASNT so hysterical. Him being hysterical shows he's probably not used to shooting/killing someone. For example in very skeptical of the "girlfriend" who so non chalantly said "did he just die?" But that's my own personal opinion. Again, not criminal.

NOW - does that make what he did illegal? Can't say until we get all the facts.
BINGO.

You are wise to wait for all of the facts before solidly coming down on one side. However, in this time of hysteria you may be accused of being racist or anti-cop for simply waiting for the facts to come out.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:22 AM

4,899 posts, read 3,554,547 times
is this being reported anywhere aside from Fox news?

I can't find anything about it

Old 07-14-2016, 10:47 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I get that blacks tend to get pulled over more than others. I really do. But I'm a blonde haired, blue eyed white guy, and I've been pulled over for weak-ass reasons plenty of times. Sometimes, the cops in the area are bored and have nothing better to do. I had the misfortune to be scheduled to work both Friday and Saturday nights, got off of work at 1AM and my drive home took me through several small towns. I got pulled over for not coming to a complete stop at 1:30AM with no other cars in sight for miles (cop car was hiding). Thing is, I did come to a complete stop. One time, I pulled over in one of those tiny towns to safely switch out CD's. Within seconds, there was a cop pulled up behind me wanting to know why I was legally pulled over. After awhile, I picked up enough nitpicky tickets that -- unbeknownst to me -- my license was automatically suspended. After that happened, the first cop who got behind me (while I was going the speed limit and obeying every traffic law) ran my plates, pulled me over and arrested me. I had no clue it was suspended at the time.

I know something about getting pulled over for no reason and harassed. In my case, it was bored small town cops looking for drunks on Friday and Saturday night, but who felt the need to write a ticket for anything they could dream up when the realized I wasn't drunk. Doesn't do any good to get angry about it. And I didn't have to be black either. Sometimes cops are just buttholes on a power trip. You can't change that fact. Just do everything you can to keep yourself safe in the moment.

I do think that every cop should be required to have a lapel camera running at all times while they're on duty. If we had that, we'd know exactly what happened and see things from the cop's perspective. The mistake here is jumping to conclusions and getting all outraged without knowing all of the facts. Nobody said it was right for cops to kill anybody on a whim. Nobody said it was okay for cops to pull over one group way more than another. If Castillo had a suspended license at the time, it would have gotten him pulled over sooner or later anyways.

I had similar experiences working late night shifts driving a beat up car, and being white. What I love are the guys on here who tell you to "stop whining". Usually cops who want to have that level of power and don't want to hear anyone telling them there's something wrong about the scenario.

Meanwhile since I've been working desk 9-5 jobs and driving new cars, I have never been pulled over unless I was actually speeding.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
is this being reported anywhere aside from Fox news?

I can't find anything about it
That she changed her story? No you sorta kinda have to parallel watch her videos and notice some inconsistencies. I still wouldn't say she's lying cuz she may just be remembering things as the days go by. But that's why most lawyers tel you to shut up until the trial. Every single one of her statements can be admitted as evidence.

Why don't you think the police talk? Because when / if it comes to trial they'll only have one statement to remember. This girl will possibly have to justify every single one of her live statements.

Personally I feel this is Michael brown again. When it's all said and done I can see the fbi paying to keep her in hiding as they did Dorian Johnson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies