Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 07:02 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are reports Erdogan landed in Istanbul, if they can capture him, they would have some leverage.

I think the coup plotters expected more support from those not involved in the plot, or maybe there were pledges but they backed out when the time came. Also, maybe they expected more support from the citizens.

My guess is they simply expected support to materialize when they were in control. At this point it's hard to tell if the pro government voices are too be believed. Since they claimed from the start that it was over. We shall see I imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 07:03 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
It seems the news crew for CNN Turk have been removed

CNN

Old 07-15-2016, 07:05 PM

1,587 posts, read 1,014,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Who do the tanks belong to? Because it seems not all of the military is on board with this coup.
Not sure. All the tanks I seen had coup soldiers in them though

Old 07-15-2016, 07:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Erdogan is at Istanbul's airport now. There are all kinds of reports coming in from everywhere, so who knows what is true or not. Jets bombing Istanbul, coup troops here, gov there, people for, people against. Despite what the Intel service put out, it does not seem over at all.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:15 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,745,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
Yet Erdogan was seeking asylum in Germany...
At this point, who knows:

Both sides claim success
Martial law declared in Turkey after coup attempt - UPI.com

Quote:
4:05 a.m.

Private NTV television is showing footage of large crowds gathering at Istanbul's Ataturk Airport to greet President Recep Tayyip Erdogan as he emerged from a vehicle upon landing.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-15-21-06-49

Old 07-15-2016, 07:23 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,332,629 times
Interesting article in the Philly papers about the coup:

Turkey's president blames Muslim cleric in the Poconos for military coup

Facing a military coup, Turkish President Tayyip Erodgan pointed the finger of blame Friday at a man living 5,000 miles away in a gated compound in the Poconos.

Fethullah Gulen, a reclusive Muslim cleric in his 70s and head of a multibillion movement based on an isolated 26 acres in Saylorsburg, Pa., has long been a target of the Turkish president, who blames him and his followers for fomenting revolution in his native country.

Leading a movement sometimes known as Hizmet, or Turkish for "service," Gulen teaches a philosophy based in Islamic mysticism mixed with advocacy for education and democracy. It has multitudes of followers in Turkey and around the world and runs a loosely affiliated network of professional associations, charities and charter schools across the world.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
I just learned it is illegal in Turkey to insult their POS dictator. That if you say anything derogatory about the scumbag borderline muslim extremist, he will have you arrested and tortured.

So all I can say about that to that sleezebag, is I live in North Arizona, come and try. Bring a lotta your extremist friends with guns cause we gotta a lot of empty desert to fill.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
I just learned it is illegal in Turkey to insult their POS dictator. That if you say anything derogatory about the scumbag borderline muslim extremist, he will have you arrested and tortured.

So all I can say about that to that sleezebag, is I live in North Arizona, come and try. Bring a lotta your extremist friends with guns cause we gotta a lot of empty desert to fill.

From what I understand, the Turkish military is pro-democracy (they are loyal to the ideas of their founder, Atatürk) and anti-Sharia Law and that they have deposed Turkish leaders before for straying away from the ideals of Atatürk

Old 07-15-2016, 08:37 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
From what I understand, the Turkish military is pro-democracy (they are loyal to the ideas of their founder, Atatürk) and anti-Sharia Law and that they have deposed Turkish leaders before for straying away from the ideals of Atatürk
That is my understanding as well - and the civilians you see in the news are the typical young sharia muslim men who want to remove women's rights and kill gays. Sad day for Turkey I'd say if this fails.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:57 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
That is my understanding as well - and the civilians you see in the news are the typical young sharia muslim men who want to remove women's rights and kill gays. Sad day for Turkey I'd say if this fails.
I hope the coup succeeds like it has done so in the past. If it does succeed, ISIS is going to whither on the vine, especially since Russia accuses Turkey of providing material support to ISIS, and ISIS's main supply routes run through eastern Turkey, which Erdogan hasn't bothered to shut down
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies