Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 05:55 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,591,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
So you oppose Hillary and Obama siding against the coup.
Apparently there is a US or UN resolution enacted in 1961 that stated the US/UN would never take the side of a military coup in another country, unless and until a new government is democratically elected.

I tried to find a reference to that but was unsuccessful.

Someone on CNN last night gave it a passing mention without any detail.

So, if that's the case, Obama did not have a choice in the matter; he had to side with the existing government. What he may think personally is anyone's guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 06:35 AM

13,674 posts, read 8,936,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Apparently there is a US or UN resolution enacted in 1961 that stated the US/UN would never take the side of a military coup in another country, unless and until a new government is democratically elected.

I tried to find a reference to that but was unsuccessful.

Someone on CNN last night gave it a passing mention without any detail.

So, if that's the case, Obama did not have a choice in the matter; he had to side with the existing government. What he may think personally is anyone's guess.
Not supporting coups of democratically elected governments is US policy. Of course, we have supported coups overthrowing dictators, with mixed results.

Anyway, I agree that it was wise for President Obama to not voice support this ill-fated coup, which appears to have involved a small segment of the Turkish army (I suppose they felt the remainder of the armed forces would join in, as well as the state-controlled police).

I have visited Turkey three times, and love the country. It has been disheartening to see it drift, under the current president (president since 2003) towards a religious, Islamic state. As you say, the people coming out on the streets to defy the army will embolden the president even more in his agenda.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:07 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,534,242 times
The military was not prepared to massacre the civilians
who answered Erdogan's call to rise up, so the coup failed.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:43 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,550,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
We know your a liar, you've posted plenty of anti-Obama and lefties threads.
Actually I support Gay marriage, Women equality, and Minority rights in Muslim countries, but that means criticizing >>>> Islam.

Which political party in US would support me in criticizing Islam? Not the Islamophilic Democrats.

Infact, I can claim I am the most Liberal person on this forum, since being a Liberal in US is a joke - solving first world problems. The toughest Liberal position is to be one for a Muslim country, cause the vast majority of Muslims who are non-Liberals will sympathize with those Muslims who are ready to chop your head off.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:53 AM

27,539 posts, read 15,944,799 times
put a fence around the muslim world and move on...

Old 07-16-2016, 08:56 AM

4,095 posts, read 2,550,044 times
I am the Obama, the Noam Chomsky, the Michael Moore, the Clintons.....of the Muslim world. I support everything that the Democrats say they supposedly want (but in the Muslim world), but for me to change the Muslim world, Islam has to be criticized.

When I criticize Islam, like Democrats criticize Christianity, Democrats start attacking me instead of supporting me.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:33 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,659,096 times
Welp, they didn't waste a whole lot of time getting down to business.

Quote:
"Turkey's state-run news agency says a top body overseeing judges and prosecutors has dismissed 2,745 judges across the country. Anadolu Agency says the emergency meeting of the Judges and Prosecutors High Council was held Saturday, hours after Turkish forces quashed an attempted coup"

News from The Associated Press

Old 07-16-2016, 11:12 AM

76,856 posts, read 47,156,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Yep-

This is great. Obama's ideological allies are on the run around the globe..
Why is it great? 260 dead and 1400 wounded.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Happened in Egypt, lets hope it happens here.
Personally I prefer democratic elections, which are only few months away.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
There are reports Erdogan landed in Istanbul, if they can capture him, they would have some leverage.

I think the coup plotters expected more support from those not involved in the plot, or maybe there were pledges but they backed out when the time came. Also, maybe they expected more support from the citizens.
It seems it failed because the citizens opposed it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies