Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 07:55 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,561,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Is that your opinion or are you quoting someone?
Either way, it doesn't have anything to do with my statement. If a person doesn't have a gun, they can't shoot someone else, It's that simple. Whether they commit other crimes is a different story.
I said "fact" not "opinion."

Here and you are more than welcome to correct my math.

General population are 8 times more likely to commit murders
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 08:17 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
An assault truck ban needs to be considered. No one needs to own a huge truck that can be used as a lethal weapon to mow down innocent children and other people. People on the no-fly list should not be able to buy trucks at all.

It is also time to institute a waiting period and a background check for truck buyers. After all, it is not the murder that is important, it is how it is committed that is the central question. The equipment utilized in the murder is what we need to look at, not the motivation or religion or psychology or character of the killer. We just really need to know the equipment he chose to commit the murder. Nothing else is really important.

Thank God there is no 2nd amendment for trucks, so we should be able to get this ban in place before the election.
Makes you think for a minute...

Old 07-16-2016, 08:19 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,470,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
suppose you need to pull a trailer hauling a heavy load?
Have you seen the way I drive with 4 wheels?

[]

Old 07-16-2016, 09:07 PM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Yes, and switching to semi-auto fire in a full automatic rifle does not stop it from being an assault rifle. Hence, a semi-auto assault rifle is still an assault rifle.

Features of semi-auto assault rifle
1. Can be fired as fast as you can pull the trigger, with a very light and fast trigger action.
2. Has very little recoil making them very accurate and easy to handle.
3. The lack of recoil means shots can be fired much more quickly and accurately than other type of guns, with little or no fatigue to the person firing it.
4. Hence making them ideal for mowing down large numbers of people

Not true. I have heard these silencers or suppressors fired in person at a gun range, and they are extremely quiet. Somewhat surprisingly they are as quiet in real life as they are in the movies. Whatever you call it, the sound is almost totally eliminated and all you hear is a click when the shot goes off.

Guns that can fire as fast as you can pull the trigger are nothing new, they have been around and in common use since the first world war, even before then if you count revolvers.

"low recoil" is subjective, the most common ammo used in most AR-15 variants is 5.56 which is basically an overgrown 22.

5.56 is NATO compliant, which means it's actually designed more to wound than to kill and is actually so weak that many states ban it for hunting because it's too weak to produce a quick and humane kill shot.

In the types of environments that most mass shooters choose to commit their crimes, the rate of fire is largely irrelevant anyways. The Orlando shooter could have done as much damage with a pump shotgun and a revolver with a speed loader because he was in an enclosed space with minimal exits and little to no opposition.

As far as the suppressor video goes....notice that he didn't post decibel numbers in the video you posted.

He does in this one.
The use of a suppressor brings the average decibels down to about 135 from 167 with no suppressor. That's still pretty loud in any real world application....much louder than you see in the movies.
Also, notice they are still using hearing protection while testing the suppressors.

Besides requiring an expensive tax stamp to buy, suppressors have another drawback as well, since they prevent a lot of the gases from escaping the barrel, they cause weapons to get dirty and misfire/malfunction fairly quickly....sometimes in as little as 10 or 20 rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51cSzfn-WCo

Old 07-16-2016, 09:59 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
I've known hunters..and none that I have ever interacted with stated..Machine gun type guns are actually counter intuitive..o?[/quote]

Except that the AR15 is NOT A machine gun.

Geezus, it's galling how idiotic these posts are.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:02 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Yes, and switching to semi-auto fire in a full automatic rifle does not stop it from being an assault rifle. Hence, a semi-auto assault rifle is still an assault rifle.

L]
*dumbfounded*

By this logic, a musket is an assault rifle.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:07 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I've known hunters..and none that I have ever interacted with stated..Machine gun type guns are actually counter intuitive..o?
Except that the AR15 is NOT A machine gun.

Geezus, it's galling how idiotic these posts are.[/quote]

But it's a semi automatic, is it not

Old 07-16-2016, 10:14 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
No, I am not saying that you killed anyone with your gun(s). I'm saying that guns have one purpose and that is to kill. I'm sorry you do not understand the distinction. Have a great day and continue to not kill people and make sure your guns are secure and your home is secure from buglers. Also, if you feel the need to shoot up a mall or church or anywhere - please turn yourself in. Thank you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
At this point I have to ask you whether you are a native speaker because your lack of comprehension is really striking. I mean, these two statements are so not the same. Either you don't understand it or you are just trying to put words into my mouth. But you won't succeed at that...

Nor can anyone rule out that those very same people kill someone with their silly hobby.

They WILL kill someone
my guns have never killed anyone. in fact that is not their purpose. they are in my possession to DEFEND myself, and other innocent people. just remember that nine times out of ten, all you need to do is point a gun at someone and they stop being belligerent and go away. thus you have used a gun to STOP someone from harming you WITHOUT harming them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Have you seen the way I drive with 4 wheels?

[]
do you even stay on four wheels? or are you that guy in the LA area that tries to emulate john force in his company cars?

Old 07-16-2016, 10:31 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
*dumbfounded*

By this logic, a musket is an assault rifle.
You're a riot. But a musket isn't even semi-auto, and no one is calling for a ban on them.

As seen below the high rate of fire of this stock semi-auto Sig Sauer MCX makes its
almost hard to tell the difference from a full automatic weapon. Try doing that with
a musket!

https://youtu.be/1pQdo1-bmbg?t=84

Old 07-17-2016, 04:49 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,117,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankapotomus View Post
Given that the truck could have easily been thwarted had there been concrete barriers placed at either end of the French fireworks festival, I see no need for a ban.
So you want barriers placed everywhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies