Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:54 AM

38,967 posts, read 27,331,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Sends me this email in response to my listing:

To top it off one of the neighboring rentals by one of my rentals is a section 8 house. The tenant has two big screen TV's and a new model Hummer that she just bought. They've lived there for 5 years...I even took a picture of it. Good to know I went to college and worked hard to get ahead so I can pay more than the median gross household income in taxes to fund these leeches. I've filed complaints yet nothing is done. Where are the bleeding heart liberals and their apologies for these leeches?? Basically your policy is to buy votes by stealing for those who worked for it at the threat of imprisonment or death, to give to those who don't.
i try not to judge anybody, but I don't want to take risks, so there goes my answer.

i was a renter when I was in college. the owner had antique furnitures. In addition to pay my lease on time every month, I learned to use non drying oil to clean his furniture and I learned how to grow a flower garden for my landlord. He did not increase my rent for 2 years and he never wanted to rent his beautiful apartment to somebody else.

Unless people can treat your house as their own, renting to anybody is a risk.

Have a cheap place to live on the condition that you remain poor. This creates a backwards psychology of "I must stay poor to be able to afford stuff." instead of allowing people to move ahead and get out of poverty it just locks them in. so probably not.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:58 AM

29,628 posts, read 24,644,961 times
Glad I didn't waste money (that I did not have) on a college degree. I'm just gonna get me some food stamps, section 8, and the werks. Right after I get to work making 8 illegitimate babies

Heck of a lot easier that workin for a living

And we wonder why America becomes more and more brain dead with each passing generation...

Old 07-17-2016, 10:13 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
because Obama is probably supplying them the iphone also.
No. I've actually looked in to this because of all of these threads about "the poor" on this forum over the years. Obamaphones are NOT iPhones. They CAN get Androids, but they are not like Samsung or anything that nice...they are some Chinese brand, I don't remember what it's called. That iPhone that the person had was bought by them with their own money, not by the tax payers.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:16 AM

30,133 posts, read 23,508,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
you can get an iPhone for $13.30/month

and I see Hummer 3's for sale near me for $10,500

and "flat screen TV's" are not exactly luxury items these days. Nearly all televisions sold in the past 10 years have flat screens.

not that these are smart decisions, but it's hardly indicative of high spending.
If you can't pay your own rent, it absolutely IS indicative of high spending. It may not be high spending TO YOU, but it IS high spending to someone who can't even afford their own damn shelter.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:17 AM

I hope people can stop judging landlords. When it comes to rental property, everybody should be a little bit "old fashioned."

Open doors to section 8, May Discourage Non-Section 8 Tenants From Living in the Building, plus, many of these folks don't even pay security deposit.

Just sayin'

Old 07-17-2016, 10:35 AM

16,877 posts, read 14,221,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I hope people can stop judging landlords. When it comes to rental property, everybody should be a little bit "old fashioned."

Open doors to section 8, May Discourage Non-Section 8 Tenants From Living in the Building, plus, many of these folks don't even pay security deposit.

Just sayin'
As a landlord in Cook County Illinois, I am prohibited by law from discriminating against someone who uses Section 8 to pay rent.

Basically, I'm required to accept it.

Also, in this particular town, since I don't live in Cook County, I am required to have a representative that DOES live in Cook County and provide their driver's license number, phone & home address to the city.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
As a landlord in Cook County Illinois, I am prohibited by law from discriminating against someone who uses Section 8 to pay rent.

Basically, I'm required to accept it.

Also, in this particular town, since I don't live in Cook County, I am required to have a representative that DOES live in Cook County and provide their driver's license number, phone & home address to the city.
Sad.

I think you need to run a background check and credit report. Best luck ..

Old 07-17-2016, 10:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,601,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If you can't pay your own rent, it absolutely IS indicative of high spending.
Qualifying for Section 8 doesn't mean a person "Can't pay their own rent."

Quote:
It may not be high spending TO YOU, but it IS high spending to someone who can't even afford their own damn shelter.
No, not really. The Section 8 "Low Income Limit" for King County, WA (As an example, since OP appears to live in that area) is $65,800/yr.

On $65k/yr one can afford $13/mo for a phone, $10k for a car, and a few hundred bucks for a TV.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:44 AM

16,877 posts, read 14,221,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Sad.

I think you need to run a background check and credit report. Best luck ..
I do.

But according to HUD's new guidelines, if could be charged w/ violating the Federal Fair Housing Act if I discriminate against someone w/ a criminal record.

Ironically, on the flip side, the city that I own this rental in, requires me to have each tenant sign a Crime Free Housing lease addendum.

It's nuts.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:46 AM

27,206 posts, read 46,526,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tac-Sea View Post
Sends me this email in response to my listing:

To top it off one of the neighboring rentals by one of my rentals is a section 8 house. The tenant has two big screen TV's and a new model Hummer that she just bought. They've lived there for 5 years...I even took a picture of it. Good to know I went to college and worked hard to get ahead so I can pay more than the median gross household income in taxes to fund these leeches. I've filed complaints yet nothing is done. Where are the bleeding heart liberals and their apologies for these leeches?? Basically your policy is to buy votes by stealing for those who worked for it at the threat of imprisonment or death, to give to those who don't.
Very sad to say the least and we have parted with section 8 homes as also section 8 home owners are scamming the system.

It is sad for the tenants who really need it.

Most of rental listings with a pool will get multiple section 8 calls and often section 8 tenants offer to pay above what they are allowed to move them in.

In reality it will mean that they move in more people who stay home all day long while telling section 8 a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies