Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 02:35 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
If you can't debate or have a heated political discussion without pulling a gun to threaten or make your point, then that person has no business carrying a gun in the first place.

I carry a gun. Yet I am VERY outspoken, especially regarding rights. I know I push buttons in my writings. But I am not going to pull a gun out to reinforce my points. I consider myself well trained and I am a responsible and mature member of my community. In fact I would not put myself in a place like Cleavland where violence IS likely to happen, because I AM responsible and do not intentionally go places where I may need a gun. My gun is for the situation I didn't think of and hence couldn't avoid.

That said - there also may come a time when govt tyranny and police excesses may need to be stopped by an armed populace. Cleaveland might be one such occasion.

People in the black community have already stated there will be violence at the convention. There have been more lost lives of cops in Baton Rouge. WHY should police have to put themselves at even more risk at such a big event?

Just because YOU use your gun responsibly doesn't mean everyone attending will have good intentions. Some people SHOULDN'T carry guns.

It's target practice on cops these days. I would think you'd be willing to be a little flexible since the police are tasked with dealing with the convention, Hell's Angels, and a number of racist cop-hating sickos who have no respect for life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 02:46 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
No, sorry, I am not flexible when it comes to Constitutional rights and when criminal police say they do not care about our rights in their calls for increased repression.

We KNOW they don't respect our rights, that is why we are at this point.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:49 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,815,321 times
If they just kept all the black lives matters morons away this wouldn't even be an issue.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:00 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
No, sorry, I am not flexible when it comes to Constitutional rights and when criminal police say they do not care about our rights in their calls for increased repression.

We KNOW they don't respect our rights, that is why we are at this point.
I'm okay with people who want to own guns, but these kinds of responses make me wonder if I should be.

We're talking about one event, where we already know there will be trouble - and probably cops who are killed.

Nobody is trying to step on your constitutional rights - they're trying to keep the area as safe as possible - but even the mere suggestion of such a thing sends you into tantrum mode. Jesus!!

And really, all you Rambo's out there who keep talking about what you could have done if only you were around when x happened - how the hell are the police going to even know who the shooter is, if five of you have guns drawn?

Old 07-17-2016, 03:07 PM

8,665 posts, read 5,842,780 times
Everyone needs to remember that that Radical ISLAMIST Mohammed Obama is just itching for an excuse to declare Martial Law!

If he tries it, I hope there is a military coup in this country that deports his sorry butt to the ME!

Old 07-17-2016, 03:11 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,178,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Hmmm I have mixed feeling about this. It is every citizens right to carry a firearm if they wish but to a convention that is sure to be filled with heated debates and candidates that are not exactly popular to a certain segment of our society that has shown that they are not scared to pull out a gun and start shooting people, even the cops.

If I was Trump I would want a 7 block no gun zone. There are just way to many ignorant idiots out there and too many other ignorant idiots that would call any one who shoots Trump a hero.
If I was attending the event I would feel much safer if I knew that no one was getting in with a gun who is intent on murder.

I have mixed feelings about it also. As much as I'd like to insist on upholding the 2d, fact is that civil rights have always been subject to reasonable restrictions, and given the current state of affairs and the people who are anticipated to attend, some restriction on firearms is not unreasonable. I think that accepting reasonable restrictions in situations like this can affect the undecided public's perception of gun owners in a beneficial way.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm okay with people who want to own guns, but these kinds of responses make me wonder if I should be.

We're talking about one event, where we already know there will be trouble - and probably cops who are killed.

Nobody is trying to step on your constitutional rights - they're trying to keep the area as safe as possible - but even the mere suggestion of such a thing sends you into tantrum mode. Jesus!!

And really, all you Rambo's out there who keep talking about what you could have done if only you were around when x happened - how the hell are the police going to even know who the shooter is, if five of you have guns drawn?
How to tell the difference between a good guy and bad guy.

1. Good guys are not randomly shooting at unarmed people or children.
2. Good guys will NOT be shooting at you.
3. Good guys are likely to be shooting the same direction you are.
4. Good guys will TELL you they are good guys.
5. Good guys usually shoot good guns. A "tech nine" is not a usual good guy gun.
6. Good guys often carry similar guns and gear as cops. (So do bad guys, but not as often.)
7. Good guys with rifles will probably be on a perimiter fighting their way in, same as you.
8. Good guys might be good girls.

If you are not sure who is a good guy, ask.

Based off observations from Columbine to Kenya - cops from different depts, off duty, in shorts, etc. None have been shot by friendly fire - no reason to shoot a civilian good guy, unless they are a bad cop.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnTrips View Post
I have mixed feelings about it also. As much as I'd like to insist on upholding the 2d, fact is that civil rights have always been subject to reasonable restrictions, and given the current state of affairs and the people who are anticipated to attend, some restriction on firearms is not unreasonable. I think that accepting reasonable restrictions in situations like this can affect the undecided public's perception of gun owners in a beneficial way.
The Republic is lost.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:20 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
That's not a cop thing, that's a Cleveland/Ohio political culture thing. Police officers around here are very vocal about their support for gun rights. The first thing many of them ask people concerned about crime is if they have a gun.
I don't think it's even a Cleveland/Ohio thing, it's a big city police chief thing. Rank and file cops across the country overwhelmingly support the 2nd amendment, liberal big city police chiefs have long been against it.

Old 07-17-2016, 03:22 PM

24,456 posts, read 17,203,514 times
Quote:
If you can't debate or have a heated political discussion without pulling a gun to threaten or make your point, then that person has no business carrying a gun in the first place.

I carry a gun. Yet I am VERY outspoken, especially regarding rights. I know I push buttons in my writings. But I am not going to pull a gun out to reinforce my points. I consider myself well trained and I am a responsible and mature member of my community. In fact I would not put myself in a place like Cleavland where violence IS likely to happen, because I AM responsible and do not intentionally go places where I may need a gun. My gun is for the situation I didn't think of and hence couldn't avoid.

That said - there also may come a time when govt tyranny and police excesses may need to be stopped by an armed populace. Cleaveland might be one such occasion.

Well said and your restraint is shared by most responsible law abiding gun owners but there are some that should never be allowed to pick up a water pistol let alone a real gun.

There is just too much pressure swelling the seams of america and some idiot might see the convention as his chance to make his stupid point.
I'd rather see the cops stop everyone at the entrance and not allow any guns in then to let them in and have a problem in the middle of the convention hall.
There already was an illegal alien who tried to shoot Trump.

Why risk it? Don't let anyone in with a gun. The cops are not about to start shooting people unless they are attacking them.

I still don't think the Police are the problem but I can see with the recent shootings where they were targeted just because they wear a uniform that some might develop a US V THEM mentality.

A responsible gun owner would recognize when it is a good idea to carry and when it is not. The GOP convention is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies