Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 06:08 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,222,068 times

Advertisements

Let me start off by writing that there are legitimate calls for criminal justice reform and, more specifically, reforming certain policing tactics, in America. But groups like BLM, which only speak to their limited audiences, don't help their cause through divisive, often racist rhetoric, spewing uncalled for, oft-discredited or simply unsubstantiated anti-police chatter.

Many of our national politicians, who are now only just stopping to speak out on police deaths (when they had no problem stopping business to speak out on the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, as well as on incidents like Henry Gates of Harvard, despite a lack of evidence and evidence that ultimately showed that the cops/people in those cases did NOTHING wrong) helped to both fuel BLM's rise as well as divide the country. For many, like Hillary, they latched on to BLM as a way to pander to/increase turnout among black voters, who are estimated by all accounts to see a steep drop-off in voters now that Obama isn't on the ballot. That's not leadership. That's race hustling, which is a national disgrace and disqualifies anyone from the office of POTUS. Say what you want about Trump's uncalled for attacks on certain groups, but at least I don't see Trump supporters taking to the streets and killing people.

But, with the toxic atmosphere created by the above, and one that subsequently led to the deaths of police officers (including some who were targeted solely because they were white police officers), BLM has now officially lost all momentum and is dead in the water, politically . . . continuing to protest, and thereby continuing spread a toxic atmosphere that is leading to more police officer deaths, only further cements their fate. And politicians like Hillary--who sent out two campaign-related emails before finally issuing a statement condemning the recent Baton Rouge atrocities--are tied to this, throwing them off message, and making people like Trump find a voice on law and order issues. I guess that's the only silver lining here: that behavior by leftists in trying to latch on to racist groups like BLM is only increasing the chance that they fail to win national office, thereby increasing the chance that someone who can actually address the situation (i.e. Trump) wins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:11 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Notice how silent Hillary has been as the tragedies happen?

When she talks her ratings go down. She has nothing to say.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:13 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Let me start off by writing that there are legitimate calls for criminal justice reform and, more specifically, reforming certain policing tactics, in America. But groups like BLM, which only speak to their limited audiences, don't help their cause through divisive, often racist rhetoric, spewing uncalled for, oft-discredited or simply unsubstantiated anti-police chatter.

Many of our national politicians, who are now only just stopping to speak out on police deaths (when they had no problem stopping business to speak out on the deaths of Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown, as well as on incidents like Henry Gates of Harvard, despite a lack of evidence and evidence that ultimately showed that the cops/people in those cases did NOTHING wrong) helped to both fuel BLM's rise as well as divide the country. For many, like Hillary, they latched on to BLM as a way to pander to/increase turnout among black voters, who are estimated by all accounts to see a steep drop-off in voters now that Obama isn't on the ballot. That's not leadership. That's race hustling, which is a national disgrace and disqualifies anyone from the office of POTUS. Say what you want about Trump's uncalled for attacks on certain groups, but at least I don't see Trump supporters taking to the streets and killing people.

But, with the toxic atmosphere created by the above, and one that subsequently led to the deaths of police officers (including some who were targeted solely because they were white police officers), BLM has now officially lost all momentum and is dead in the water, politically . . . continuing to protest, and thereby continuing spread a toxic atmosphere that is leading to more police officer deaths, only further cements their fate. And politicians like Hillary--who sent out two campaign-related emails before finally issuing a statement condemning the recent Baton Rouge atrocities--are tied to this, throwing them off message, and making people like Trump find a voice on law and order issues. I guess that's the only silver lining here: that behavior by leftists in trying to latch on to racist groups like BLM is only increasing the chance that they fail to win national office, thereby increasing the chance that someone who can actually address the situation (i.e. Trump) wins.
which groups are trump 'attacking'?

is the truth=attacks now?

Old 07-17-2016, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

Especially on issues like this. If she opens her mouth in any meaningful way to condemn the targeting of police, she gets into trouble with BLM. If she speaks to support BLM (as she has in the past, which is why i think she's relatively quiet now), she alienates even more of the country.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
which groups are trump 'attacking'?

is the truth=attacks now?
The attack on the federal judge due to nothing else but his heritage was uncalled for (and I say this as someone who is voting for Trump) . . . even he realized that and back off from such language.

And he needs to narrow his calls for stopping Muslim immigration until we can get a better system in place to targeting specific trouble regions (as opposed to all Muslim immigrants).

Old 07-17-2016, 06:28 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,328,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

What Hillary does is wait and hope Trump says or tweets something dumb, then she can step in with something statesman like. But I strongly suspect one of Trump's kids is controlling messaging, because Trump has been much more on target.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:37 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
What Hillary does is wait and hope Trump says or tweets something dumb, then she can step in with something statesman like. But I strongly suspect one of Trump's kids is controlling messaging, because Trump has been much more on target.
Exactly right.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:43 PM

391 posts, read 290,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
thereby increasing the chance that someone who can actually address the situation (i.e. Trump) wins.
I'm interesting in knowing exactly what you think Trump -- or any president -- can do in this situation?

What can Trump do that Hillary can't?

Old 07-17-2016, 06:51 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Oppressed people will lash out. It can get very messy when they do. - The American Revolution.

Treating the symptoms with force, instead of curing the cause.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
I'm interesting in knowing exactly what you think Trump -- or any president -- can do in this situation?

What can Trump do that Hillary can't?
For one, he's more inclined to take a tough stance on the lies that groups like BLM are spewing and actually tell the truth behind the statistics, instead of immediately jumping to race-based conclusions before all the evidence has come in and thereby needlessly dividing the country. You won't get to the root of the problem (or even start to make an actual dent) if you're not willing to acknowledge that the entire system isn't rigged and honestly talk about those areas that do need improvement (Hillary and leftists certainly aren't doing so).

Second, and perhaps even more importantly in the grand scheme of things, he's more likely to support policies that will strengthen educational opportunity and choice for the neediest among us (often poor black and Latino children), thereby increasing the chance that families rise out of poverty and live meaningful lives, which, I argue, can have a direct impact on interactions with police and policing (educated children with opportunity and adults with jobs are not the ones largely having poor interactions with police officers). Sadly, Democrats/Hillary, through support of toxic teacher's unions, have often blocked such progress.

As for crime in general (not just policing/BLM matters), Trump is not (unlike Hillary) for mass, unchecked illegal immigration, which often correlates with increased crime (just look at the statistics for illegal immigrants, who are often poor and more susceptible to getting involved in certain criminal elements, in federal prison)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies