Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 10:50 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times

Advertisements

Another video that only shows 1 side of the story.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:50 PM

1,544 posts, read 924,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Don't commit crimes, never meet a cop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CD2013 View Post
On average yall get treated different because you act different.

If Asians committed the massive % of violent crime that blacks do.....cops would have more bad interactions with Asians. But they dont.
Typical shaming tactics.

You only choose to look at the knucklehead reprobates who commit the crimes as most of the Black people in this country. In reality, most Black people are just trying to get through life. Knock it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I'm trying to get at the solution. Do you really think blacks get more attention from the police because of the shade of their skin? That's the only reason?
The stereotypes and propaganda that were stirred up against Black people in the past (and present) are the reason we get treated like suspects automatically. Does that answer your question?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:51 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
I'm trying to get at the solution. Do you really think blacks get more attention from the police because of the shade of their skin? That's the only reason?

Yes. There is a tendency to prejudge black people. "What are THEY doing in THIS neighborhood"?

Well, I will use myself as an example. I am a black woman. College educated. Raised in a 2 parent home. Grow up in an upper middle class black neighborhood in Los Angeles. Attended private schools my entire life. My parents bought me a BMW for my 18th birthday. When I was 19 I was stopped and harassed twice by the police. Not for speeding. Not for making illegal turns and failing to stop or running a red light. But I was stopped and questioned at length basically about how I (a young black woman attending university) could afford a BMW. During the "interrogations" I remained cordial but frustrated and annoyed. I received a bogus ticket for one of the stops that I fought in court (it was thrown out by the judge).

If I been a 19 yr. white woman the assumption would have been that I was just a spoiled co-ed driving a nice BMW. But I COULDN'T just be a cute spoiled co-ed because the assumption is that blacks are all criminals. It is MUCH worse for young black men.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:54 PM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
I don't want to come off racist here. However, over the decades our Nation has created services that allow people to not escape poverty and continually be tied to the Goverment. Additionally, organizations and policies continue to flame tension. As well as media and larger goverment involvement.

We need to work towards doing away with welfare or add stipulations encouraging people to come out of poverty level. Encourage people to grow in their social economic class.

Need to legalize marijuana and end the war on drugs.

Need to dissolve or lessen the involvement of the NAACP. Need to let States and towns handle their own police issues.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
This is nothing new. I personally have respect for law enforcement however this MUST change. Black people are treated differently by law enforcement and may police officer abuse their authority.

Having black skin is NOT a crime. This MUST stop. It happens every day. Black people are reaching the breaking point.

"black people are reaching the breaking point"... What does it mean? That from now on, we should expect LE officers be shot daily? Or other acts of similar wisdom?
I have a question: if life in America is so bad for the black community, why don't you immigrate to other countries? In the last decades, millions have immigrated to the US from all over the word. People who want to live here. Interestingly, it includes folks from Nigeria, Ghana, Kenya and the Ivory Coast. Also, millions from Mexico and all Latin America countries, to say nothing of Chinese and Indians.
Why don't AA do the opposite? Immigrate to (African?) countries with no white racists?
I guess that people from all these countries realized things wont get better for them. Therefore, they decided to move on for a better future for them and their children.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think maybe end the war on drugs.
Yes, a completely different strategy for drug (production/sells/consumption) enforcement is needed.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,799,525 times
Great timing, posting this today.
Couldn't hold the cop bashing 'till another day?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:57 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:

I think socioeconomic issues play a greater part than people are comfortable acknowledging. Youngish black or white males in hoodies will get more police attention than a black or white male in a business suit, or a family in church attire on Sunday morning.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:01 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Again, this thread is about ideas and solutions. Please keep it moving if you have neither to offer.

Get the Black folks that Care about peace, law, and order to stage anti-BLM protests, to show that the Black communities have not declared war on all Police, instead of letting BLM represent you. Until then, Every Cop in the Nation should look upon all Black people as a possible threat, that could just lose it and start killing Police.

I was around for the Civil unrest in the 60s and have seen what can happen, and how people thought of each other, and I see it today, going backwards, MLK must be spinning in his grave.

Old 07-17-2016, 11:03 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
The stereotypes and propaganda that were stirred up against Black people in the past (and present) are the reason we get treated like suspects automatically. Does that answer your question?
Where did the stereotypes come from? Did they appear from nowhere? Did everyone wake up one morning and say "you know what? From here on out we are going to say that blacks as a group are prone to crime, poverty and educational underachievement."

Or is it more likely that those stereotypes originated in observed behavior?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I think socioeconomic issues play a greater part than people are comfortable acknowledging. Youngish black or white males in hoodies will get more police attention than a black or white male in a business suit, or a family in church attire on Sunday morning.
Absolutely. The scruffy looking white kid in a hoodie in a Nordstrom's is going to get hassled more than the well-dressed black guy. The flip side is the rich white guy is going to get hassled more if he drives through a bad part of town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies