Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,661,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No one was harmed and I was not driving recklessly, when I was pulled over for speeding, either. Actually keeping with the flow of traffic, relatively. Again, I have never paid one of them.

What could happen, has taken more liberty than all other words.

Laws for what did happen, preserve the "liberty for all" preference we were established under.
Show harm, or shut up!

I don't believe we are at a place in time where we need to harm others. You're going off the deep end.

Could we reach that point in time? Absolutely, and unfortunately we are spiraling towards that in current times. However, there is still a chance to resolve some of the issues we face today if we would all make a real effort to see what's going on and collectively agree to put aside our differences for the greater good.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:25 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,602,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
BentBow, I agree with you on some things, however I am lost on how we can associate police killings as being ok. NO killing is ok. Sometimes it is a necessary evil, but those instances must be clear cut and concise with no question as to whether or not the event was to save the life of others. We should still strive to learn from that to try and avoid it in the future if possible.

As with the Redcoats being the agents of the tyrant king, individuals know who the tyrants are by their own experiences. They know if they harmed another and they know if the took what was not theirs. They know the consequences of the breaking natural law. Retaliation is in their future, so they must watch their backs. Breaking natural common law is a two-way street, that a badge does not make anyone immune to. In this case, it is a target, as were those wearing redcoats as agents of tyrants.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:27 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgraham View Post
Your race has brought this on you. Their committing crimes, and thus you are sterotyped. Just like muslims.
correction: they're

Old 07-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713
Chart
That is the people v. the people by race when conflicts occur

Let us look at government v. the people by race.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgn2013 View Post
In other words, "You have to pay for the sins of your people."

Okay, but since some white people are racist, have money and are privileged, all white people are like that. "That's not true. I'm not racist. and I've worked hard for what I have. You can't lump all of us into the same category"

So it's OK for me to pay for the sins of SOME black people, but you shouldn't be held responsible for the sins of SOME white people?
We are ALL doomed to pay for the sins of our fathers. That doesn't mean we have to continue those same sins and force our children to pay for the wrongs we have committed.

For every person who holds on to racism, you are forcing your children to share in that burden for the rest of their lives. It doesn't matter what color you are... all of our children are going to be forced to suffer through the same things we do simply because we can't come to realize that we ALL struggle in one way or another. And no person's struggle is any more or less important than the next person's. By continuing to perpetuate racism, we are voiding our children's opportunity to live in a caring society.

As a child, I didn't know what racism was. On the playground, we were all friends. We didn't see color. It wasn't until we were taught what racism is that we began to see it and feel it.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,409 times
Originally Posted by pkbab5
But this false perception is perpetuated by TV and rap music. For many whites, they have more contact with black people being gangbangers on TV and in rap music than they have contact with normal black people in real life just going to work and coming home. It's no wonder the perceptions are off.

What if black people collectively refused to play a criminal of any sort on TV or in the movies from this point forward. Went on strike against any black created music that had violent lyrics. Do you think things might change? It might take several years, to let it all sink in, but I think it would work.

And it's a lot better than what's happening now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
I agree to an extent. The issue of the black American image in the media is very complex. Many actors and artists are very aware of their image and its impact on the perception of black Americans in the collective.

But I will also say that artistic expression should not be stifled due to the inability for some Americans to separate entertainment from reality. For example, numerous rap and hip hop artists are also college educated. And a LOT of them grew up in middle class neighborhoods and 2 parent homes that are nothing like the world that they rap about.

Rappers & College: 14 Hip-Hop Heavyweights Who Attended University
Of course artistic expression should not be stifled. But you still have to take responsibility for what you express in your art. If you continually portray yourself in your art as a violent gangbanger (even if you may not be in real life), then you will continually be perceived as a violent gangbanger. It is what it is. If you act like a gangbanger to all the world, then all the world is going to think you are a gangbanger.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:33 AM

2,916 posts, read 2,998,507 times
When young attractive white people start getting killed on a regular basis (justified or not) by black cops, people will see this more clearly. There's an underlying current that "those n****** deserved it. Even if DeAndre is completely innocent, Pookie committed a crime so someone needed to die."

The debate isn't about the average cop...but rather the bad cops that tend to mostly attack black and some Latinos regardless of guilt or innocence. Instead of looking at the stats that point this out, people reach around to other stats to somehow justify the use of deadly force in situations where it is simply not needed.

When Officer Tyrone Jenkins shoots and kills unarmed Emily Tompkins, and he gets off with no repercussions, I'd expect that the defense of cops would change. Whites identify with law and order and law enforcement because there is a perception that the officers protect them from the hordes of unwashed blacks and browns. Those guys are OK because they're killing "them." When that pit bull starts attacking you however, it won't be so funny then.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
As with the Redcoats being the agents of the tyrant king, individuals know who the tyrants are by their own experiences. They know if they harmed another and they know if the took what was not theirs. They know the consequences of the breaking natural law. Retaliation is in their future, so they must watch their backs. Breaking natural common law is a two-way street, that a badge does not make anyone immune to. In this case, it is a target, as were those wearing redcoats as agents of tyrants.

Police are people just as we are. To make the assumption that all police are agents of the tyrant king is too far fetched to fathom. Most are doing their best to protect society, with the few bad apples being brought into the spotlight to paint a picture that they want us to see.

How do you not see that? My brother isn't one of the bad apples. Neither is my next door neighbor or the multitude of friends that we have who are in law enforcement. How can you paint with such a broad brush that their intent is to harm us?

What about the police and paramedics that were moving TOWARDS the gunfire with hopes of trying to save the lives of whomever they could? Did they have a hidden agenda?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 AM

5,438 posts, read 5,942,337 times
Quote:
In other words, "You have to pay for the sins of your people."

Okay, but since some white people are racist, have money and are privileged, all white people are like that. "That's not true. I'm not racist. and I've worked hard for what I have. You can't lump all of us into the same category"

So it's OK for me to pay for the sins of SOME black people, but you shouldn't be held responsible for the sins of SOME white people?
This is about "policing", so we are dealing with security of society. Also, we all pay for the sins of others. Why should my life be imperiled so blacks aren't profiled? Put your efforts into making blacks a fine race, then this discussion would be done and over with.

Last edited by scgraham; 07-18-2016 at 12:12 PM..

Old 07-18-2016, 11:36 AM

Quote:
"Blacks commit more crime" - well, Blacks are sentenced to longer jail terms and are more likely to be caught. If the NYPD was 80% black and they went around looking for white drug users (marijuana etc.), they'd catch plenty of young white people. But that's not how it works...if my target is young, cute white girls, I can catch plenty of them doing all sorts of crap. If my target is young, working class men of color, I'll catch plenty of those as well.

"Why don't blacks focus on lifting up their communities instead of blaming white people" - Ok, but when blacks do that, they're accused of being racist and separatist. Malcolm X, even before he moderated his views always talked about blacks needing to be self-reliant. People are OK with black self-reliance if the language bashes blacks and absolves whites. However, if the language bashes BOTH BLACKS AND WHITES, then people think it's racist and divisive.

"Just respect cops and there won't be any problems" - There's some truth to this. In many situations, my fellow black men react too strongly to police presence and don't always de-escalate a tense situation. However, we've made the mistake of lowering the bar too far for police officers. If a 21-year old, middle class white girl was belligerent towards a large black male police officer, we wouldn't expect him to throw her on the pavement and kick her a**. Somehow, it's OK to do that with a young male of color. The cops have a tough job...they are well trained and should use all of that training besides the part where they pull their weapon and shoot. Killing someone should be a last resort. If you're so scared of black men that you shoot without them so much as moving, you're in the wrong line of work.

Face it. Blacks are profiled in the Police State.
Poverty, makes people do drastic things to survive.
What keeps the black communities so impoverished?

Then think about what government has done, over and over to keep the black communities held down.
The bad element all too often has replaced the bible in the black communities, as government becomes their god...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies