Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2016, 10:42 PM

1,955 posts, read 1,758,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Oh boy, Cali, hey some of us have been there. "Do you have a boyfriend?" You do realize you were pulled over for DWC -driving while cute. That is a whole 'nother matter. Usually they don't ticket pretty young women but sometimes they get frustrated and do for satisfaction. It is sexual harassment, but because the women don't get roughed up and usually don't even get tickets, it flies under the radar a bit. You probably fit more into that category than it being because of your race. No one really sympathizes with a young woman in a luxury car getting stopped a couple of times. Lots of men would even understand the cops doing this, they have authority to get a better look. Wink, wink.
Yup. I had almost this exact experience when I was 17. I was a cute little Asian girl driving the new car daddy bought me. The cop even had a wingman (second cop) with him lol. They backed off when they saw I wasn't 18 yet though.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:43 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I see things a bit differently. We as humans make mistakes all thru our daily routines from sunup to sundown.

This will occur whether we are driving or just walking on the sidewalk to maybe crossing the street in the middle of the block (some places a ticket would be issued) Some blocks it is permissible and other places a NO NO.

Now a cop who sees you will stop and ask for a ID.....maybe run you thru whatever as if your a criminal.

Now you might just be scared and decide to run so he follows you and catches up to you and says "stop and place your hands on your head" Your Hard of hearing (like me) and do not respond but will move my hands near my body and the Cop SHOOTS me.

His response is that he THOUGHT I was reaching for a weapon.......makes NO difference as I"M DEAD.

That type of story has happened too many times in the US and many folks are UNHAPPY.

I have less then 50% hearing and w/o my aids I am DEAF.

The moral to that story is, that if your "hard hearing" don't run. If you can hear real well, don't run. Its not rocket science.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
DWB or DWC (which btw I had never heard of before) either way its frightening because I am being detained and questioned when I have not done anything wrong. Then not being allowed to leave until the LEO decides to allow me to go. Regardless of the motivation (because I'm black or "cute") its abuse of power.

This reminds me of one of the times that I was stopped. I was just driving down the street and a police officer who was like "guarding" a street construction project waves me to pull over and stop. He proceeds to ask me a thousand questions (sometimes repeating them). It felt like it went on forever but it was probably like 10 or 15 minutes. Never asked for my DL, registration or insurance. Finally let me go and I was so shaken that I drove a bit further and then pulled into a parking lot to call a friend and collect myself.
I thought of a solution for you! We train all of the police to be psychics, so that they know ahead of time that you haven't done anything wrong, and they don't have to stop you. It's so simple! I bet we could get psychic trainers for pretty cheap too. Then the police will only ever stop the actual criminals!

Seriously now. Everyone gets stopped. Blacks get stopped more because they more often match the description of someone who just committed a crime, or they more often look suspicious because of how they are acting, how they are dressed, or what kind of car they are driving. (Because there are quite a few blacks out there who act, dress, and drive like thugs, just to be cool). But that's the way it has to be if you want to keep innocent people safe.

If you insist that it has to stop, then you will be making society LESS safe. You get that, right? More innocent people will die if cops stop being suspicious of people who look suspicious.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I thought of a solution for you! We train all of the police to be psychics, so that they know ahead of time that you haven't done anything wrong, and they don't have to stop you. It's so simple! I bet we could get psychic trainers for pretty cheap too. Then the police will only ever stop the actual criminals!

Seriously now. Everyone gets stopped. Blacks get stopped more because they more often match the description of someone who just committed a crime, or they more often look suspicious because of how they are acting, how they are dressed, or what kind of car they are driving. (Because there are quite a few blacks out there who act, dress, and drive like thugs, just to be cool). But that's the way it has to be if you want to keep innocent people safe.

If you insist that it has to stop, then you will be making society LESS safe. You get that, right? More innocent people will die if cops stop being suspicious of people who look suspicious.

No, I do not agree. Having black skin is not a crime. Having black skin does not mean that I am more "suspicious" than a person who does not.

I am black AND innocent and I need to be kept safe. I am NOT a 2nd class citizen. So no, I am not going to sacrifice myself to make someone else feel better. I am an American with centuries deep roots in this country and my ancestors have fought and died for this nation.

Your suggestion is very offensive and very unAmerican. Joking or not.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:16 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,568,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
I'm already aware of this. But I'm also aware of the tension that's been growing between LE officers and my brothers and sisters for the longest. No one is playing the victim role here except the do-nothings and leeches who poison the Black community.

It isn't just tension from LEOs, its Tension between Blacks and Whites that's growing again, which is sad. Brave men like MLK gave their lives to prove we could all get along, and you have one particular group of thugs that are setting race relations back 20 years.

Unfortunately, this isn't a problem that can be solved by the white Community. These people call for the death of white Police and white people, so they are turning ordinary citizens against them, as they ask for support from the Nation. You don't get change by attacking the people you want change from. You will get "Change" but it won't be in the direction they expect it to be.

This is only a problem that Black folks can fix. They have to show all citizens that these hate groups d not speak for all black people. If that means protesting against other protesters, so be it. Until that happens things will get worse. These militant black groups have formed the same kind of hate group as the KKK, only now its black. There will come a time when a hate group of white people will either bring back the KKK or start a new White Hate group. No one needs that kind of warfare.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:20 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Boris,

You're absolutely right. As a white person, I can give recommendations on personal experience of how I get by without being pulled over or harassed by the police but I can't make anyone listen. It's up to the people who are in the situation to get themselves out.

The fact of the matter is that blacks and whites in this country are more similar than we'd like to admit. I think we all want the same basic thing.... a happy and safe life. We've all been through our own unique struggles and many of us have figured out how to overcome those obstacles. Some of us just found our way out because we had no other choice and refused to be held down. That doesn't come from privilege. It comes from hard work an willpower and is achievable by everyone, admittedly though some may have a more difficult time depending on their economic class.

The problem lies within the black community with those who choose to stay down instead of working their way up or who choose to look at the negative side of everything. Instead of looking at someone trying to keep you down, look at the ways that you can lift yourself up. Sometimes it's a bitter pill to swallow when you have to hold your tongue. But we do it on a constant basis, as it is a part of life. There are many things that go on each day that I hate, but I know speaking out on it will only make the situation worse so I hold my tongue. It also appalls me that some would choose to stay on Government assistance (that most whites help pay for) and still want to be against us. There should not be an "us versus them" argument occurring unless it is us (aka American citizens) against them (aka Big Gov't).

Things have GOT to change. Most whites sincerely want to help the black community, but we are looked down upon any time we give any suggestions on how the black community can help. If we weren't shunned by a large portion of the black community maybe we could even pitch in to help. I for one would be all for helping the black community because it helps the overall community and our American society. That to me is much more important than race. It's about time for everyone of all backgrounds to realize this. We are poisoning ourselves.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:23 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
There are so many valid arguments on both sides of this issue. I would be a fool not to realize that sometimes blacks are "profiled" and not treated the same as whites. I do understand that. It is absolutely not fair. However, the possible reasons behind that might be because the police see certain things and encounter certain things on a day in, day out basis that makes them do the things they do.

It is pretty obvious, by the passion shown in a lot of posts on this thread, that a SERIOUS rift is getting even wider in this country between the races. That is at the root of this problem, and now we need to look to WHY that is happening.

I feel that one thing fueling this divide is that blacks do not currently have a strong leader/role model who is guiding them in the right direction. Dr. King, IMO, was the last person who tried to move blacks ahead PEACEFULLY. Everyone else since has been militant and anti everything white. If blacks are going to coexist with everyone else in this country, they need to stop doing the things that everyone else finds offensive and dangerous.............like rioting every time something happens that they disagree with. All that does is paint an even worse image of blacks and it accomplishes nothing.

Yes, we whites have our share of idiots too, and we are not saying we are lily white. But we are talking, in this particular thread, about BLACK problems and solutions. To throw in "you whites do this and that" only muddies the water and turns people off.

I really do hope some black leader comes along and is successful in bringing his people into main stream America. A lot of us already get along with a lot of blacks, it is only the trouble makers we have issues with. (We don't get along with the white trouble makers either)

Don

Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
I'm I suspected of a crime, sir......
Then have a nice day....

I'm I being detained, Am I suspected of a crime, sir?
Then have a nice day.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by pkbab5

Quote:
No, I do not agree. Having black skin is not a crime. Having black skin does not mean that I am more "suspicious" than a person who does not.

I am black AND innocent and I need to be kept safe. I am NOT a 2nd class citizen. So no, I am not going to sacrifice myself to make someone else feel better. I am an American with centuries deep roots in this country and my ancestors have fought and died for this nation.

Having black skin is not a crime. Correct. Having black skin does not mean that you are more suspicious than a person who does not.

I didn't say cops stop black people more often because blacks are more suspicious. I said cops stop black people more often because blacks act suspiciously more often. Words are important.

You are black and innocent and you need to be kept safe. In order to be kept safe, cops need to check out people who are acting suspiciously, or who fit the description of someone who just did something. Which means they are going to stop innocent people, ALL THE TIME. They have to. Get that through your head. Everyone's been stopped. The cops have to stop people in order to keep people safe.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:38 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,656,169 times
Quote:

Nobody is asking you. That how it goes and will be until the crime rate among blacks will get normal. If you will resist you will be shot. If you don't like it, you can go to Africa.
I just really got tired about all of this whining. I came from a really oppressed minority (Jews in USSR) and it's making me sick all of this stupid whining of this privileged black minority.
We have contributed to USSR about 50% of their Nobel prize winners, huge amount of scientists, teachers, engineers, doctors, inventors. And we could only dream about all of the perks that this "oppressed" minority is getting: Welfare, affirmative action, very positive press and more.
What we got in USSR is hate, negative press, arrests, executions, preparations to send all of us to Siberia and other nice stuff.
So what we did? We took ourselves in the first opportunity and escaped, despite the fact that my family lived there hundreds of years.
So, if blacks were really oppressed, we would see huge percent of blacks moving out of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies