Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:14 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Murder hit the 24,000 mark twice. Bush Sr in 1991, and Clinton in 1993. Murder has been dropping from 1994 onward. In 2014, 14,249 murders. This is the lowest raw number of murders seen since 1969.

The highest murder RATE, however, between 1960-now, was recorded in 1980, at 10.2 murders per 100,000. 2013-2014, was the lowest murder rate ever recorded, 4.5 murders per 100,000, as a nation.
This corresponds to an increase in the number of firearms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 09:16 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Except I wasn't hear to argue about firearms. I was here to talk about people's fears. There are people who get their information about murder rates from the news, who don't know how to have an intellectual discourse. Everything is about fear.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Except I wasn't hear to argue about firearms. I was here to talk about people's fears. There are people who get their information about murder rates from the news, who don't know how to have an intellectual discourse. Everything is about fear.
Which is why my post is relevant. The more fear a criminal has of being shot by their victim, the less likely they will try to victimize others. My post was relevant.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
The current problems in America have been a long time coming. The main reason is that we have been weak (i.e. tolerant) on crime.
If Trump wants to win, then he needs to be consistent that CRIME, and TERRORISM, will not be tolerated.
If you break the law, then you suffer the consequences.
Police are NOT above the law! If they break the law, then they should be held accountable too. yes, this is a difficult task.

There is a BIG difference between intentionally shooting police at random... and, making a bad decision in the heat of the moment. In almost every case where police killed a black "suspect", it was NOT premeditated.
I'm no fan of cops, but it's common sense to cooperate and show respect when you encounter a policeman.

We can't tolerate lawlessness in our country!

I think its time that we take the planned parenthood money and use it to hire top-notch police.
No... this money does NOT go to additional pay raises for a few chiefs of police. Better trained cops when allowed to do their jobs... things will improve.
Do we want real solutions or just cheap liberal talk?

If we want real solutions, here's what I'd suggest:

1. All convicted must serve 70% of the sentence before eligible for parole (currently only need to serve 1/3).
2. All criminal records shall be barred from the public once the convicted have been release. They have already paid the debt and should be allowed to start a normal life.
3. Any convicted deem to be so dangerous that they aren't allowed to own a firearm shall remain in prison until they are no longer a danger to society. Sames goes with sex offenders.
4. Anybody who commit a felony with any arm shall get mandatory 25 years without parole in addition to other charges.
5. Repeated offenders get their sentence doubled each time they commit a crime.
6. Legalize all drugs and all victim-less crimes.
7. Reform the prison so that it's not a resort. Prison should focus on education, hard work and discipline.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Which is why my post is relevant. The more fear a criminal has of being shot by their victim, the less likely they will try to victimize others. My post was relevant.
Actually, the post wasn't that relevant because there was no mention of guns from the OP. This was about the feeling that the President would do something about the crime. What is more relevant is stating the fact that crime has been decreasing.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:45 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
The most violent criminals in almost any society are males between the ages of 18-24.

Between 1973 and 1996 (24 years), there were only three years where the number of murders in the United States was below 19000.

Since 1997, there has never been 19000 murders in a year. Only twice has there been more than 17000 murders a year in that time span.

What caused such a change while the population kept growing?

Well if you subtract 24 (the upper edges of the highest crime age) from 1997, you get 1973.

What happened in 1973 that could have made such a difference in crime rate?

Roe vs Wade.

(of course, there are other possibilities as well - - many look at getting rid of leaded gasoline as having a major impact on crime rates)

Old 07-18-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post
The most violent criminals in almost any society are males between the ages of 18-24.

Between 1973 and 1996 (24 years), there were only three years where the number of murders in the United States was below 19000.

Since 1997, there has never been 19000 murders in a year. Only twice has there been more than 17000 murders a year in that time span.

Well if you subtract 24 (the upper edges of the highest crime age) from 1997, you get 1973.

Roe vs Wade.

(of course, there are other possibilities as well - - many look at getting rid of leaded gasoline as having a major impact on crime rates)
You should note I used corresponds and not correlates.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:55 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,566,566 times
Quote:
You should note I used corresponds and not correlates.
Yes. I'm sure we'll never know what the real reason is. It's probably a bit of a lot of things (including, for all of its flaws, the War on Drugs). They all have some logic behind them.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristramShandy View Post

Roe vs Wade.

One thing to consider. Black on Black murders make up 1/2 of the nation's murders. While that rate is high between 18-24, it keeps rising until the age of 30. Average age of Black homicide victim is 30.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:08 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Do we want real solutions or just cheap liberal talk?

If we want real solutions, here's what I'd suggest:

1. All convicted must serve 70% of the sentence before eligible for parole (currently only need to serve 1/3).
2. All criminal records shall be barred from the public once the convicted have been release. They have already paid the debt and should be allowed to start a normal life.
3. Any convicted deem to be so dangerous that they aren't allowed to own a firearm shall remain in prison until they are no longer a danger to society. Sames goes with sex offenders.
4. Anybody who commit a felony with any arm shall get mandatory 25 years without parole in addition to other charges.
5. Repeated offenders get their sentence doubled each time they commit a crime.
6. Legalize all drugs and all victim-less crimes.
7. Reform the prison so that it's not a resort. Prison should focus on education, hard work and discipline.
The bolded would make a huge difference all on its own. Keep them busy. No lounging around in their cells watching TV, or in the pod playing card games, they need to be DOING something and it needs to be productive.

I do not agree that their records should be kept from the public on release, but I do believe that when an inmate becomes a free person again and is released, we should be doing more for them than handing them money for the bus and saying "good luck" as we drop them off at the corner. Of COURSE they're going to fail if we do that. We need to help them get back to a normal life, we need to offer them extended counseling outside of the prison walls, we need to offer them a lifeline if they think they're about to do something stupid, we need to introduce them to new people so that they don't go back to their scummy friends who will pull them back down.

I do agree about the weapons...once you paid your debt, and you are a free person again, you should have all of your rights back considering that the 2nd is not "given" by the government anydamnway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies