Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 06:08 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm a little confused because it feels like you were initially talking about a lack of understanding between races, but here you're referencing economics.

I don't view it the way you do, though. I don't have a group. I don't view you as having a group. The scrappiest among us will survive. That doesn't even mean the brightest - just the scrappiest. By this I mean, those who dig their heels in and do whatever they must to survive, to get that job, to pare down their living expenses, because it's going to be survival of the fittest.

You know who should be most concerned? The percentage of millennials who grew up thinking they were the special snowflakes. Not all millennials, but the entitled ones. They're not equipped to make it in this world.

I wouldn't be so doom and gloom if I were you. You don't seem like a person who rolls over and just gives up. I suspect you'll be fine.
Note that I said all "isms" tend to be rooted in economics. Yes, I was talking about race and racISM, then went about to show how the economy of this nation is in REAL decline, meaning that racism will only increase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I'm an older guy, and I don't know anybody who cares about race, regardless of age.

I had older relatives who did, but they're all gone.
In a nation of 300 plus million people......you cannot simply go by "who you know" or what is true for you...even though our experience is really the only thing we KNOW. What is true of a part of the whole cannot be assumed to be true for the whole. Thus, it comes down to respect. Do you respect and trust the opinion and experience of people you do not know if they tell you of experiences that differs from what is true of your own experience?

Old 07-19-2016, 06:24 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
There should not be left right media.....but just media. We are evolving as a nation where there is not one source that presents all sides balanced, but multiple sources that presents only one side. People listen to their "specialized" talk radio where they get the opinions and views that feed what they already tend to believe, never really getting a good presentation of the others side argument. Consequently, every side is dug in....resulting in trench warfare. No one is being converted to the other side. No prisoners are being taken. Its just slaughter the other side and never give an inch, never admit you were wrong....its about your side WINNING...not the truth.
Absolutely right. This also applies to the black vs. white argument. Replace left and right with black and white. The same truth applies there as well. No one is willing to give an inch to help the other person. Maybe if we all opened our minds and hearts a little more we could get out of this mess that we are in. But it will require a LOT of work.... sadly more work than most are willing to do.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:34 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
Quote:
In a nation of 300 plus million people......you cannot simply go by "who you know" or what is true for you...even though our experience is really the only thing we KNOW. What is true of a part of the whole cannot be assumed to be true for the whole. Thus, it comes down to respect. Do you respect and trust the opinion and experience of people you do not know if they tell you of experiences that differs from what is true of your own experience?

I can trust and respect the opinion of those who trust and respect mine. Give me your opinion and experiences and I'll offer any advice I have from my opinion and experience. I'll also use your experience to try to grow as a person and gain a better understanding of the world that you live in. I feel like that is how we learn and grow as people.

I also trust that if someone immediately throws out the race card, mentions white privilege, etc.. I'm done talking at that point because I know the conversation will get nowhere because that person isn't willing to listen to anything other that a preconceived notion they already have.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:39 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,595,087 times
Quote:
We just live in different realities. This is not going to end well for us as a nation.

I'll tell you why there is no hope. And I was trying to be empathetic, but I'm finding it harder to be empathetic, given the racist threads I read here from both sides.

There is no hope because when there are threads with cops killing black guys in the back while he's running away, and then dropping a taser next to his body, we are ALL outraged, yet some of the posters here don't remember that.

There is no hope because when white people try to say that changes must be made not only by cops, but by the way black males are responding to them, and back that up with FBI statistics, then you post things like, "we're all murderers...." acting like a victim instead of admitting there is a problem on both sides.

There is no hope because no matter how much some of us try to understand, if it doesn't fit the narrative some want to keep repeating, we get blasted for it. It's because we don't get it, we have white privilege, etc.

There is no hope because a black woman can start a thread and use as her barometer for being unfairly targeted her experience of driving her BMW at the age of 19, and being pulled over ONCE by a cop, and she finds that racist - ignoring the posts that state women of all races have experienced the same, at least once.

And I hope I can get an AMEN from my fellow white posters on this point, but if a white woman told that story we would all be posting things like, "Oh poor baby got stopped in her BMW at 19? You poor thing. You sound like a spoiled entitled brat!" (not saying you are Calipoppy, I'm saying THAT is what the response would be)

You know when there will be hope? When people stop trying to convince everyone how they are nothing but victims, take some responsibility and admit there are issues all the way around, and then work hard to resolve those issues.

Period.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
I can trust and respect the opinion of those who trust and respect mine. Give me your opinion and experiences and I'll offer any advice I have from my opinion and experience. I'll also use your experience to try to grow as a person and gain a better understanding of the world that you live in. I feel like that is how we learn and grow as people.

I also trust that if someone immediately throws out the race card, mentions white privilege, etc.. I'm done talking at that point because I know the conversation will get nowhere because that person isn't willing to listen to anything other that a preconceived notion they already have.
Here is the thing with that. Often times when I am having a discussion with a white person regarding race, I am making a macro analysis based upon history and cause and effects upon the black condition (the collective black condition....not my personal condition), given that the present evolved from the past. What then often happens is that the white person will respond and attempt to debunk my macro analysis with a personal micro analysis. "I never owned slaves". "I am not a racist and neither are any of my friends". "I have black friends and we get along fine". Whites tend to try to vouch for other whites that they do not know and have never met, by projecting what is true of them to be true of that white person they do not know. Hence, other white people cannot be racist if YOU and your circle are not racist. None of which is germane to the macro analysis concerning race, not to mention...faulty logic.

When we cannot accept the universal law of cause and effect and that actions produce reactions and that the present is the result of those things manifesting over the continuum of time, I know that the conversation is not intellectually honest and or that person I am debating lacks intelligence. One cannot argue that racism existed for well over 3 centuries....and continues.....but that it is a cause that has not produced any adverse effect or reaction in the black condition.

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 07-19-2016 at 06:59 AM..

Old 07-19-2016, 06:51 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,209,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant
We just live in different realities. This is not going to end well for us as a nation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Are you the same guy who retired in their early 50's and lives in the Caribbean ?
are you ??

Old 07-19-2016, 06:57 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
A lot of the problem is law enforcement is an issue that Whites and Blacks are really dug in on more than most. Most White Americans view law enforcement as infallible and heroic, most Black Americans have deep fears of law enforcement. The same way that many Black Americans could not see OJ Simpson as anything but an innocent man being framed today many White Americans can't see that there are problems with how law enforcement does things, especially in low income Black areas.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
are you ??
Don't I wish! I would probably retire in Africa though.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:13 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times
Quote:
Only because half of the nation thinks the other half, ought to give and give while they sit and do NOTHING for themselves.

A nation who has people more dedicated to free stuff and whining that others have more than they do, is a nation of babies, not a nation of workers of moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies