Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 07:15 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,339,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
I think black people are doing well. Slavery ended less than 200 years ago, and it became illegal to discriminate against black people like 50 years ago. Both of these are pretty much a drop in the bucket when it comes to history. I think the last actual slave died in the 1930s or 1940s. I think people are use to things moving so fast, that we kind of forget that none of this stuff was all that long ago. I mean how long did it take China to get their act together? 500-1000 years? Black people are doling exceptionally well, all things considered. And the whole "welfare" and "gangsta rap" stigma is becoming more of a media image than an actual reality these days. I know FEW black people who are gangsters and welfare queens.
Agreed!
But, if no one makes any noise the improvement can slow down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I've said it before and I'll say it again.....

Half French, Half Algerian. Mon famile came over here after WW2. Now, I guess the Algerian side can hate the French side of my family, but the race crap, and yes, it is crap, here.... 2 words:

DON'T CARE

There are no societal answers, there definitely is no government answer, there is no education answer.... there is a personal answer and that's it.
Easy for you because you are not an original American black whose entire heritage is SLAVERY. You have valuable MEMEs that are absent in many descendants of slaves.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:19 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Agreed!
But, if no one makes any noise the improvement can slow down.

I doubt it. Pretty sure black people can continue to excel, without or without he "noise" out there. I wish more blacks were educated about the free market, but that will come in due time. And I wish more blacks would enter technology and engineering, but again, the number is much higher now than it's ever been. And I really do like the fact that black people in general just "do their thing" instead of doing things for society as a whole. That mean black people raise their own standards, instead of having white people set these standards for them.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:21 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,664,238 times
So you're going to choose to live your entire life based off what happened to your ancestors instead of using what is available to you now to succeed? And while doing that, you're going to choose to protest the very violence that you are initiating?

How does that work?

If I chose to base my entire existence off of what happened to my ancestors, I'd be poverty ridden (or more than likely dead) than successful. I used those stories as motivation to be better than my ancestors. I don't wake up thinking about how unfair life was for my ancestors and that means it is going to be unfair to me. It's only unfair if I choose for it to be. Wake up.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:23 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,522,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Slavery went on from 1619 to 1865
Jim Crow 1877-1965

Blacks have only experience some sense of freedom for a bit more than 50 years.

Most black Americans are descendant of slaves.

It is not the same thing to be the son of a slave than to be the son of a merchant, a farm owner, a businessman, a doctor, a lawyer, a police officer, a school teacher, etc, etc.

Blacks started at ZERO and had ZERO education or training. They had no one to look up to as the families were broken apart.

American Blacks have done phenomenally well given the original position from where they started. And 51 years is not a long time since the end of Jim Crow.

Most people of European heritage like myself can look back for 500-1000 years of successful heritage where families were together and values were passed down. Blacks could not pass anything down because there was no family.

Some American blacks found a way to somehow have a family and those folks have done very well and surpassed many whites.

Oppression from 1619 until 1965 created a generation of people that was overtly sensitive to perceived racism. They have lived in stress for hundreds of years and that explains the hypersensitivity to cops and authority.
Is this what you tell young black people as they throw their potential away and instead focus on anger and self pity?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Vikings conquered and oppressed my ancestors in England.

I've managed to get over it.
That was in the 8th century, in other words more than 1200 years ago. Talk to me in the 30th century and see how blacks are doing 1200 years after the end of slavery. Furthermore, black slaves were captured and moved to the US. The Vikings invaded, but then became part of the DNA of the UK. Most English folks at that time had brown eyes.

Quote:
A third of all Jews were murdered in the Holocaust. Jews are doing fine today.
An ordeal that lasted about 10 years instead of centuries. Not enough time to eradicate the culture and traditions of the Jews. OTOH, capturing young men and women in Africa and moving then to the US where they were enslaved for centuries is a much different situation. Your analogy is extremely poor.

Quote:
A third of all Cambodians were murdered by Pol Pot. Cambodians are doing fine today.
Same as with the Jews, see above. NO COMPARISON.

l

Quote:
There are a couple of countries like Mauritania where it is still practiced.

Mauritania is not a white country.
That is moot. Do not use the "they do it too" excuse to justify.

Quote:
Now it is whites who are legally discriminated against through racial preferences that favor non-whites over whites.

I don't hear you complaining about that.
You make a point. Migrants are taking jobs away from whites that are not very well trained. But, that is capitalism!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Is this what you tell young black people as they throw their potential away and instead focus on anger and self pity?
I think part of the solution is to acknowledge some of these issues.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlambert View Post
So you're going to choose to live your entire life based off what happened to your ancestors instead of using what is available to you now to succeed? And while doing that, you're going to choose to protest the very violence that you are initiating?

How does that work?

If I chose to base my entire existence off of what happened to my ancestors, I'd be poverty ridden (or more than likely dead) than successful. I used those stories as motivation to be better than my ancestors. I don't wake up thinking about how unfair life was for my ancestors and that means it is going to be unfair to me. It's only unfair if I choose for it to be. Wake up.
Nice straw man.
The point is that poor blacks do not choose that path on purpose. This is all subconscious and likely due to the slavery and Jim Crow legacy.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BougNeg1 View Post
So what is your solution other posting the same annoying thread over and over, Mr. LIberal White Boy?

Make white people feel guilty? Been there done that.
Not a single white person in America should feel guilty for slavery. We were not alive at that time.

Quote:
Refuse to hold Black thugs accountable for their actions? Been there done that.

Scream that "capitalism" is a failure? Been there done that.

Tell Black people that the "White Man" is holding them down? Been there done that.
NOPE, that is not what I am saying. Nice straw man.

Quote:
Tell Black people that they are hopeless because they don't have the same lineage is YOU???
In some ways, yes. Not everybody is born with a silver spoon in the mouth.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:39 AM

5,281 posts, read 6,587,931 times
Cambodians aren't really doing "ok". "Some" Cambodians are doing ok, most of them are not. Cambodia isn't a paradise, but of course it's much better than it was under Pol Pot, no doubt.

Jews were never at an economic disadvantage. Jews were just getting murdered by the boatloads, but they owned most of the banks and commerence in many countries. So once the killing stopped, they had all of the power in the world to keep their power and control. No one who is intellectually honest should even fix their mouths to compare Jewish experiences to Black American experiences. They're not even remotely the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies