Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 07:44 PM

18,404 posts, read 7,026,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
"Would you support or oppose a law requiring background checks on people buying guns at gun shows or online?"

The main thing that survey shows is that MOST of the people they asked were unaware of current back ground check laws!
Currently, in most states, the ONLY gun transfers where a background check is not required is a private sale, person to person.
If you want to buy a gun online, the gun can not be shipped direct to your door. It MUST be shipped to a licensed dealer near you, and that dealer MUST do the background check before he can give you the gun.
The same goes for the dreaded "gun show loophole". I have never been to a gun show where the vendors weren't licensed dealers. Yes, those dealers MUST do a background check before selling you a gun.
Now, person to person sales in the parking lot DO happen. Rarely, but they happen. They are perfectly legal in most states. A notable exception is Washington State. BUT, since the total background check law was passed, apparently there have been NO prosecutions for not doing a background check on a private party sale of a firearm! Just another fine example of the passage of an emotion-driven useless law!

I don't know how many times I've explained this to gun control advocates.

It's like you're speaking Greek or something.... it just doesn't register with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:47 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,181,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I don't know how many times I've explained this to gun control advocates.

It's like you're speaking Greek or something.... it just doesn't register with them.
Much of it is willful ignorance or just plain lies. There's no way that someone hasn't explained that AR15s aren't automatic weapons that "spray bullets" to Hillary, Bernie and all the rest - they're smart people and they're surrounded by smart people - but they lie in order to sway the opinions of many of their not-so-smart constituents.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,628,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
I admit I'm beginning to think that very few, if any additional gun laws will help america. My former home is too far gone. Guns and violence are part of the american culture-way too many think it makes them omnipotent cause they have a gun. Whatever happened to fighting like a man??? On the other hand, socio-economic policies that benefit only the rich and Corporate America, has led to abject poverty, hunger, anger and desperation. When you have created a society of haves and have nots, with rules that favor the haves; then a government that is punitive in nature, as opposed to one that is actually FOR its people, it's no shock as to what will happen. It's tough to pull yourself up by bootstraps that aren;t available to you. Good Luck america, you'll need it. You're reaping what you've sown
What a misogynistic and ignorant post.

What kind of Hollywood action movie fantasyland do you live in where criminals fight fair and without weapons of their own? And do you expect women to "fight like a man" too?

Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 PM

488 posts, read 1,174,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Something like 75% of Americans want a national assault weapon ban, so no. Has little to do with leftists.

And also has nothing to do with "hating guns". Most gun owners want reasonable gun rules, want an assault weapon ban, and strongly dislike the NRA. Heck, I've owned guns and agree with all this. Why wouldn't I?

It's just a few nuts who keep parroting the "Obama wants to take your guns" silliness. No one is proposing to ban guns.
BULL****!!!!
That is exactly what you are proposing in all of you posts. The banning of guns.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:23 PM

1,431 posts, read 907,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
OK, I just have to ask this question of the gun owning population.

Why do you feel you need a gun that holds more than one round at a time?
If all of you honed in on your firing skills, one shot would be all it takes to take down a criminal, or in the case of sport hunting, an animal.

Bob.
Surely this is a troll post. If not, this illustrates the very reason that people inexperienced with weapons shouldn't be making gun laws.

Even military trained snipers don't hit their marks every single time. If you have one shot against a hungry grizzly and miss, then what? If you have one shot against a knife wielding assailant rushing you and you miss, then what? No gun for you...meanwhile you're getting mauled/stabbed as long as the bear/attacker wants.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 PM

22,620 posts, read 24,441,992 times
The ultra-corrupt and ultra-nannystate East-coast........this news does not surprise me in the least.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 AM

50,121 posts, read 46,724,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Really....just.... really Look in the eye and tell that to the families of the THOUSANDS of NON-gangbanger/thug/druggie killed or wounded by gunfire! A number of ammosexual websites state that around 80% of gun victims are the gangsters/drug/thugs. Even IF that's true, it doesn;t take into account the effect that has on those that care about "those types"(family, SO, friends, etc) and monetary costs, the effects on those that witness it, or medical personnel and so on.
But lets just look at raw numbers. Of the 7600+ gun deaths in america so far this year, by their calculations that's about 1500-1600 totally innocent people(and their loved ones, friends, those wounded, and forever traumatized) That's too many!! IDk how anyone can be ok with that? Do you lose sleep over them?
I guess that speaks to the mind-set of most americans, which is: "If it's not happening to me, i either don't care, or it isn;t happening at all!" OR "i live in 24/7 armed paranoia, so it will never happen to me, only those beneath me"

SMH No, I'm afraid America won;t be fine if that's how most of you over there think. So again-Good Luck to the truly good people of america.
Oh please with the tabloid drama.

More people have died from traffic accidents yet no one is afraid of driving a car. Well, maybe some are lol

Old 07-22-2016, 06:40 AM

29,046 posts, read 14,379,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Oh please with the tabloid drama.

More people have died from traffic accidents yet no one is afraid of driving a car. Well, maybe some are lol

I've been tempted to reply to a few of that posters replies, but most of his posts just remind me of the teacher in Charlie Brown.....blah , blah , blah etc. It's better that I not. I'm sure I'd have a better conversation with my half full coffee cup that is sitting next to me. They are only focused on the guns, not the violence and the reasons for it. I really hope none of these people have to actually solve any problems in their lives. It must be tough because they never focus on the root causes.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:42 AM

50,121 posts, read 46,724,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The reason why the second amendment will get repealed. Turn the in or do your decade in federal prison.
Start building more prisons. If you don't vote more taxes to do it you are just another blow hard.

80,000 felons attempt to buy a gun per year and you saber rattlers do NOTHING about it. No one is worried about another toothless law.

Check out this baby!!! Out the door 500 bucks! Already on the way to my FFL

Anderson Manufacturing AM15 with Fixed Front Sight - AM15

Old 07-22-2016, 07:13 AM

29,046 posts, read 14,379,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Start building more prisons. If you don't vote more taxes to do it you are just another blow hard.

80,000 felons attempt to buy a gun per year and you saber rattlers do NOTHING about it. No one is worried about another toothless law.

Check out this baby!!! Out the door 500 bucks! Already on the way to my FFL

Anderson Manufacturing AM15 with Fixed Front Sight - AM15

LOL !! I was just on the phone with Stag, setting up an FFL transfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies