Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 12:12 PM

1,951 posts, read 1,635,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
They don't want to hear facts or reasoned conclusions. That type of person is usually more emotionally driven.

On that same note, they passed a feel good , no private sales law in my neighbouring WA. It effectively made lots of good people criminals, and can't be enforced...... so yeah, pretty ridiculous.
Right -- one baby accidentally killed every two years is a "bloodbath" to them, doubtful you'll be able to reason with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 12:28 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
You cannot sell guns on Craigslist.

Not supposed to sell them on Facebook either, but it is done every day.
Never going to stop it either.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:27 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:

What type of oversight do you propose that will prevent from private, person to person transfers?

There is none really, which is one of the reasons that private transfers are legal by design.......not a "loophole".

Private transfers being legal is why a Father can give his kid a 22 for Christmas without having to run a background check on 14 year old.

It's why you can sell a shotgun to a hunting buddy you've known for years without running a background check on him.

It's why your Grandfather can pass down that collectible WWII gun he brought home from the war.

Besides, I'd really like to see some honest, unbiased data on how effective background checks are in preventing gun crime.

We prevent non violent felons from buying guns forever, even decades after they have completed their sentences......because???????

Yet we let violent felons out on parole long before their sentences are up, where they go right back to raping, stealing and killing people by whatever means they can..... be it illegally obtained guns, knives, bats, lead pipes......whatever.

The only people your preventing from getting weapons with a background check are the ones who are law abiding and will not seek a different method of obtaining their weapon of choice.
Craigslist dropped gun sales for exactly that reason as did some others but there are plenty of other sites, you don't need to ship the gun.

The background statistics are on the ATF and FBI websites.

There are ways around any law ever created, that does not mean it's bad legislation

Old 07-22-2016, 01:33 PM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
FBI statistics showed 779 murders in Massachusetts over the last 5 years. Of those, 2 were committed using rifles of any kind. 35 were committed using hands and feet.

I wonder if AG Healy will ban hands and feet next ? I so despise the mentality of people like her.

Old 07-22-2016, 01:58 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Craigslist dropped gun sales for exactly that reason as did some others but there are plenty of other sites, you don't need to ship the gun.

The background statistics are on the ATF and FBI websites.

There are ways around any law ever created, that does not mean it's bad legislation

It does if the net effects of the law place more restrictions on law abiding citizens exercising a constitutional right than on reducing the crime and criminals it's directed at.

Kind of how the Left views voter ID laws.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:57 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
Quote:

What type of oversight do you propose that will prevent from private, person to person transfers?

There is none really, which is one of the reasons that private transfers are legal by design.......not a "loophole".

Private transfers being legal is why a Father can give his kid a 22 for Christmas without having to run a background check on 14 year old.

It's why you can sell a shotgun to a hunting buddy you've known for years without running a background check on him.

It's why your Grandfather can pass down that collectible WWII gun he brought home from the war.

Besides, I'd really like to see some honest, unbiased data on how effective background checks are in preventing gun crime.

We prevent non violent felons from buying guns forever, even decades after they have completed their sentences......because???????

Yet we let violent felons out on parole long before their sentences are up, where they go right back to raping, stealing and killing people by whatever means they can..... be it illegally obtained guns, knives, bats, lead pipes......whatever.

The only people your preventing from getting weapons with a background check are the ones who are law abiding and will not seek a different method of obtaining their weapon of choice.
THAT is exactly what is required in Washington State. The law was passed by referendum about two years ago, maybe more. The law has accomplished;;;
EXACTLY NOTHING!
In fact, a group of firearm collectors met in the parking lot of the courthouse at the state capital, and transferred guns (including the dreaded AR-15s) back and forth while the cops stood around and watched.
In fact, many officers in Washington say they can not, and will not attempt to, enforce the law.
The law has been proven to be absolutely useless!
Yet, even though it is useless, some people still demand similar laws nationwide.
Illogical.

Old 07-22-2016, 07:08 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,274,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
LOL !! I was just on the phone with Stag, setting up an FFL transfer.
I think I'm going the stealth route. Shhhh. (Hello, drill press.) Okay, not really stealthy, since I've posted up pics elsewhere of the amazing upper, but...

It will be interesting to see, if this goes to court, whether the judge(s) will actually pay attention to the "common use" wording in Heller. By attacking all semi-autos that function like the AR, I don't see how common use doesn't come into play at this point. Of course, I thought it should have been a factor in the first stupid feature-based laws.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:30 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Did they grandfather existing AR/AK look-a-likes or will they be confiscating them?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
Mixed true and false:

Massachusetts Just Banned the Sale of All Semi-Automatic Rifles : snopes.com

Old 07-23-2016, 06:29 AM

29,442 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I think I'm going the stealth route. Shhhh. (Hello, drill press.) Okay, not really stealthy, since I've posted up pics elsewhere of the amazing upper, but...

It will be interesting to see, if this goes to court, whether the judge(s) will actually pay attention to the "common use" wording in Heller. By attacking all semi-autos that function like the AR, I don't see how common use doesn't come into play at this point. Of course, I thought it should have been a factor in the first stupid feature-based laws.
Ah, the 80% route. Thought it takes a little more then a drill press, more like a bridgeport.
It would be fun.

One liberal kook cannot be out done by another...Jerry Brown is at it again.

http://www.latimes.com/politics/esse...htmlstory.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies