Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 12:54 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx
If you want to back up your claim, you will need to post evidence of this happening. I don't live in California, so I don't have any interest in what their laws say.

Except that the law is "open to interpretation" and the police, district attorneys, and judges aren't following the law as written.

Example: a man was arguing with his wife and threatening to divorce her. Three days later she called 911, in a drunken stupor, and claimed he was suicidal. The police "detained" him - keep in mind being detained isn't being arrested - they confiscated his one handgun and then made the decision that neither of them should be able to own a gun. He was placed on a 72 hour hold and released in just 10 hours. The wife tried to recant when she realized what she had done, and the cops ignored her pleas. Tough sh5t the damage was done.

If he had fought this ridiculous charge, which breaks all Constitutional laws, CA would have denied him and filed with the feds removing his rights for life.

The problem is the entire case was based on him saying "you're killing me"

Have any of you ever said that? I'd bet EVERY ONE OF YOU has in the past as a facetious sarcasm.

Guess what... the guy lost his rights for 5 years, for being sarcastic.

Yea, we are being disarmed and I don't care what state you live in, this is happening everywhere... so wise up!

Last edited by steven_h; 07-23-2016 at 01:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 12:57 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx
If you want to back up your claim, you will need to post evidence of this happening. I don't live in California, so I don't have any interest in what their laws say.

Except that the law is "open to interpretation" and the police, district attorneys, and judges aren't following the law as written.

Example: a man was arguing with his wife and threatening to divorce her. Three days later she called 911, in a drunken stupor, and claimed he was suicidal. The police "detained" him - keep in mind being detained isn't being arrested - they confiscated his one handgun and then made the decision that neither of them should be able to own a gun.

The problem is the entire case was based on him saying "you're killing me"

Have any of you ever said that? I;d bet EVERY ONE OF YOU has in the past as a facetious sarcasm.

Guess what... the guy lost his rights for 5 years, for being sarcastic.
Do you have a link to this story? Though if the police made the decision to confiscate his guns based on his behavior, then it sounds like the right call....though it is hard to say if this is even a real story without any proof to back it up.

I am not like some people on this site, I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Do you have a link to this story? Though if the police made the decision to confiscate his guns based on his behavior, then it sounds like the right call....though it is hard to say if this is even a real story without any proof to back it up.

I am not like some people on this site, I don't believe everything I read on the Internet.
Yet YOU WANT ME TO CITE SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET?

You don't have to believe anything. I don't need a link... I was there.

The dude couldn't fight it because they would have arrested his wife for filing a false claim. Shows the character of the dude, eh.

Don't know why you think there should be a link to every story. "They said it on the internet so it must be true"

First hand experience rarely makes credible news.

Why don't you do yourself a favor and fire up a G search in your state. Just do a search for "mental law abuse in -your state here-" and include the quotes. use modifiers such as "TO CONFISCATE WEAPONS" and "TO REMOVE RIGHTS"

Come back and tell me there aren't any horror stories.

If you honestly care about the truth you'll do more than pay lip service while saying you need proof. When you see reams of proof, then you'll know... or prove you don't really give a sht, which then begs "Why did you post a response at all?"

Last edited by steven_h; 07-23-2016 at 01:14 AM..

Old 07-23-2016, 02:09 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,564 times
Quote:
Yet YOU WANT ME TO CITE SOMETHING ON THE INTERNET?

You don't have to believe anything. I don't need a link... I was there.

The dude couldn't fight it because they would have arrested his wife for filing a false claim. Shows the character of the dude, eh.

Don't know why you think there should be a link to every story. "They said it on the internet so it must be true"

First hand experience rarely makes credible news.

Why don't you do yourself a favor and fire up a G search in your state. Just do a search for "mental law abuse in -your state here-" and include the quotes. use modifiers such as "TO CONFISCATE WEAPONS" and "TO REMOVE RIGHTS"

Come back and tell me there aren't any horror stories.

If you honestly care about the truth you'll do more than pay lip service while saying you need proof. When you see reams of proof, then you'll know... or prove you don't really give a sht, which then begs "Why did you post a response at all?"
If you had a printed article that backed up your story, it would be more believable. As of right now, I don't believe your story, it sounds like it is either made up or you have changed the facts to fit your narrative.

Actually Oregon has pretty lenient gun laws. Granted if someone is ordered to seek mental health from a judge, the judge could determine that they shouldn't have access to guns as well. That is something I find to be sensible because if a judge doesn't think you shouldn't have guns, then you probably shouldn't.

Just the other day at work in downtown, I watched a guy walking down the street talking to his imaginary friend in quite a heated argument. It was clear that man was not mentally sane, people like him shouldn't be able to buy a gun, though he probably needs mental health treatment more than he needs to be able to purchase guns.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
If you had a printed article that backed up your story, it would be more believable. As of right now, I don't believe your story, it sounds like it is either made up or you have changed the facts to fit your narrative.
You've ignored everything I've said. Personal experience, no reason to lie, gave you a path to find the truth. YOU truly don't give a sht so why are you even here?

https://www.oathkeepers.org/most-dan...at-to-freedom/
http://smartgunlaws.org/mental-healt...ing-in-oregon/
http://www.oregonlive.com/health/ind..._system_i.html

Your state is rife with abuse

I can't convince idiots to be wise, so I'll stop now.

Old 07-23-2016, 02:40 AM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Exactly! No more laws!

Hey, why not right? Make every day like "The Purge" so all the "MeeMaw Militia" can take over!!

Old 07-23-2016, 04:24 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,114,186 times
Quote:
You've ignored everything I've said. Personal experience, no reason to lie, gave you a path to find the truth. YOU truly don't give a sht so why are you even here?

https://www.oathkeepers.org/most-dan...at-to-freedom/
Mental Health Reporting in Oregon | Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Oregon's mental health system isn't built to help someone teetering between health and illness | OregonLive.com

Your state is rife with abuse

I can't convince idiots to be wise, so I'll stop now.
Didn't you folks blame mental health? Are you surprised that your half @ss effort on gun control led to half @ss legislation?

You complain that criminals don't follow laws.

You complain that mental health is an issue.

Take the hint, and put forth actual solutions or they'll be made for you.

Old 07-23-2016, 06:23 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Humanity also survived tens of thousands of years without civilization; doesn't make going back to that state such a hot idea.
Could you possibly be more vague?

Background checks are never going to fix the cause of the problem.

Banning certain types of guns will never fix the cause of the problem.

You cannot legislate away hatred, immortality and mental illness.

And most of the time, you can't stop them with a background check either.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:04 AM

9,909 posts, read 7,689,224 times
I support background checks that check to ensure that the individual is not a legal immigrant/here on a VISA/Illegal Immigrant, has no current restraining orders, has no history of domestic violence, no history of committing a felony, no previous or current history of gang involvement, and has not been incarcerated for 5 or more than 5 years. Other then that I am cool for anyone to have a firearm. Though semi automatics should be locked and stored at a shooting range/only used at an official shooting range facility. For open care and nationwide open carry law/permit. Stricter incarceration for illegall possession of a firearm and using a firearm in any crime.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:14 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Hunters and gatherers do not constitute a civilization.

Villages have been discovered to exist more than 12,000 BC..

To protect those encampments and their agriculture(resources), weapons were used. The fight for resources continues today(Middle East for 1000, Alex).
The human mind, created improved weaponry every day, which continues to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies