Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 09:43 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,468,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
so you saying the African American have the highest crime, the highest unemployment, the highest disease, the highest drug use, the highest violencel, the highest unwed mothers, the highest education drop out

because its their culture.

ok that make sense now

Not sure which post you're referencing, but it can be the culture of those in poverty, regardless of race, along with several other factors, that lead to those things.

Culture refers to the beliefs, behaviors, values, and traditions of any group. There are generational cultures, corporate cultures, university cultures, class cultures, ethnic cultures (think Italians or Jews), etc.

Some of you are getting stuck on race, but within each race are dozens of other cultures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 10:22 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,099,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
The only Hindus I know that vote GOP are wealthy ones that came here as adults (either on an education/work/investor visa of some kind) and live in relatively liberal areas such as California, Western Washington, the NYC metro, and the like. No Hindu that I know that grew up in the rural South or Midwest identifies with the GOP. Personally, I lean centre-left on social issues and centre-right on fiscal and economic ones; and as of now, my vote is going to either Gary Johnson or Hillary Clinton.
I know tons of Hindus (I'm in I.T.) and of the ones who are US citizens (probably about half), they are overwhelmingly Democrat. I have known only one Hindu Republican.

(I'm only counting the ones who are US citizens because the others either don't care about US politics since they can't participate or are more wrapped up in their home country's politics.)

Old 07-24-2016, 10:27 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,770,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Very interesting article on why these Hindus are for Trump. But just as interesting is why they as a minority are doing so much better than other minorities. I've been posting for ages the importance of how culture and values shape a race or community and this article shows the consequences of good values in a minority culture.

Hindu-Americans have the highest per capita income of any group, and the highest education levels, and Minimum crime. One in seven Himdus are entrepreneurs.

Hindus for Donald Trump | RealClearPolitics
The problem with this analysis is that Hindus who come to the US are already from prosperous families.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Hindu-...-so-prosperous

Quote:
Let's say the Mexican government conducts a 100 meter race for all Mexicans annually. Let's assume that the US government doesn't let any Mexican other than the top ten thousand winners in that race to come into the US. If that happens, you would find every Mexican in the US to be a good athlete & might conclude that Mexico is somehow a place of great athletes.

Let's say the Mexican government conducts a 100 meter race for all Mexicans annually. Let's assume that the US government doesn't let any Mexican other than the top ten thousand winners in that race to come into the US. If that happens, you would find every Mexican in the US to be a good athlete & might conclude that Mexico is somehow a place of great athletes.

This is what happens in case of India - instead of athletic race, there is a race of grades that solely decides our admission into the US. The main reason why Hindus in the US earn at the top is because of self selection bias. Unlike other religious groups, there was never a way for Hindus to enter the US without professional qualifications [almost all the Hindus are from India - while other religious groups come from different regions].

Old 07-24-2016, 12:15 PM

11,902 posts, read 6,479,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
The problem with this analysis is that Hindus who come to the US are already from prosperous families.

https://www.quora.com/Why-are-Hindu-...-so-prosperous
Agreed - It's been stated many times here that they were cherrypicked, but why does that matter if we are talking about the manifestation or outcomes of the values they, as a subculture of Himdus, hold? If they or their parents were "already" prosperous, then they had certain cultural values that helped them achieve that prosperity, and possibly their parents and grandparents passed down the values to them. I don't see how that diminishes the importance of having good values.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:53 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,449,284 times
Quote:
I think you are nitpicking and focusing on race.

They clearly state the values they hold that contribute to their high level of success. One being a high value for education. They stated the majority go through the public schools just like everyone else, yet they come out better educated, better grades, college bound and well-paying jobs. The cultures that don't value education have the opposite outcome.

If you are hung up because these are cherry picked Indians, I can site a similar experience I had teaching the Cambodian and Laotian Boat kids -- those were not cherrypicked Asians-- they were extremely impoverished and in a totally foreign environment, yet they held amazing values of hard work, family unity, respecting authority, and highly valued education. They were amazingly successful inspite of all the challenges because of those positive values within their culture.
No, actually you did that when you happened to create this thread.

Pitting one racial/ethnic/religious group against another, placing the "model minority" moniker on this group or that group is actually very much an insult to that group.

In the case of Cambodians, Vietnamese, Laotians, yes many are financially successful in the US. However, many others live in poverty in marginalized neighborhoods with a prevalence of SE Asian gangs and crime. Asian gangs are a huge problem in CA. It is not beneficial to attempt to portray a group in a way that fits your personal agenda.

The "model minority" trope is an insult and in the case of Asians it does not help them break through the "Bamboo Ceiling". Its a back-handed compliment.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:01 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,449,284 times
Quote:
Agreed - It's been stated many times here that they were cherrypicked, but why does that matter if we are talking about the manifestation or outcomes of the values they, as a subculture of Himdus, hold? If they or their parents were "already" prosperous, then they had certain cultural values that helped them achieve that prosperity, and possibly their parents and grandparents passed down the values to them. I don't see how that diminishes the importance of having good values.
Its like someone in a poor country who ONLY sees rich American tourists believing that the majority of Americans can afford to travel in luxury only flying first class, staying in $3000/night rooms at exclusive resorts, etc.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:16 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,011,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
so you saying the African American have the highest crime, the highest unemployment, the highest disease, the highest drug use, the highest violencel, the highest unwed mothers, the highest education drop out

because its their culture.

ok that make sense now
Why do these Hindus outperform whites...the group with a couple of centuries of a head start on everyone else in America?

Old 07-24-2016, 03:27 PM

6,732 posts, read 5,142,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do these Hindus outperform whites...the group with a couple of centuries of a head start on everyone else in America?
Uh oh.

I usually don't endorse entertaining loser trolls, but this should be good.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:37 PM

57,022 posts, read 35,011,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATG5 View Post
Uh oh.

I usually don't endorse entertaining loser trolls, but this should be good.
Lol...you already know.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:56 PM

28,574 posts, read 18,582,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
That question has already been asked...and ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies