Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 08:07 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,879,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Actually, I'm more referring to outrage from a significant portion of the American populace.

I can understand why other countries might have that attitude (the ones you stated, but mainly so they can have a place to push all their problems).
Because Democrats and Libs believe in societal guilt. It's society's fault when thugs victimize the weak.
We owe it to illegals forgive them their trespasses and crimes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2016, 10:12 PM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Why is it understood and accepted that basically every other country enforces borders and won't accommodate illegals, but when Americans suggest the same for the US, it's considered 'bigoted/racist/etc'?

Is there a reason for this? I'd like to know an actual logical reason for this, because right now, it just seems like the US is the doornat of the world (from other nations' citizens standpoint), and any attempt to enforce immigration laws even half as much as other countries is met with significant pushback*.

*Clarification -- I mean specifically from American citizens themselves. The ones supporting Hillary/Kaine, for instance...
Let's get something loud and clear right now: every Democrat I know...and as a Democrat myself, I know plenty..wants a secure border and to go back to the old lottery system for immigration. But we don't want a stupid wall that will cost billions (they can still come by boat), and we don't want peaceful, productive Latinos dragged out of their homes in the middle of the night.

Yes, there are some liberals that want to swing the doors wide open...and that's a minority. Just as there are some regressive Republicans who would be happy to start lynching illegals...also a minority (I think).

Old 07-23-2016, 10:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm more referring to outrage from a significant portion of the American populace.

I can understand why other countries might have that attitude (the ones you stated, but mainly so they can have a place to push all their problems).
Very simple to explain. The opposition comes from the Democrats. Democrats see the illegals as present and future voters and reluctant to crack down. The heck with the country. In all fairness, if illegals were voting Republican and were helping turn one blue state after another red, I am not sure if we'd be too anxious to build the wall either.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:48 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,071,109 times
That and deporting 30-50 million people would be insanely expensive and time consuming

Old 07-24-2016, 06:11 AM

1,796 posts, read 1,661,590 times
Quote:
Why is it understood and accepted that basically every other country enforces borders and won't accommodate illegals, but when Americans suggest the same for the US, it's considered 'bigoted/racist/etc'?

Is there a reason for this? I'd like to know an actual logical reason for this, because right now, it just seems like the US is the doornat of the world (from other nations' citizens standpoint), and any attempt to enforce immigration laws even half as much as other countries is met with significant pushback*.

*Clarification -- I mean specifically from American citizens themselves. The ones supporting Hillary/Kaine, for instance...
The original posting, with its title ("Why are Americans the Bad Guys?") and its subsequent yet contradictory caveat, only makes sense if one accepts the unstated assumption that those American citizens who support anything but a zero-tolerance undocumented immigrant policy are unAmerican.

Some of us Americans would like a measured, clear, and reasonable policy discussion about how to deal with present and future immigration and the millions of undocumented immigrants (including their US-born children) who are already here. Such a discussion really isn't possible so long as name-calling and insults rule the day.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:26 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Let's get something loud and clear right now: every Democrat I know...and as a Democrat myself, I know plenty..wants a secure border and to go back to the old lottery system for immigration. But we don't want a stupid wall that will cost billions (they can still come by boat), and we don't want peaceful, productive Latinos dragged out of their homes in the middle of the night.

Yes, there are some liberals that want to swing the doors wide open...and that's a minority. Just as there are some regressive Republicans who would be happy to start lynching illegals...also a minority (I think).
Peace, productive Latinos? If they're illegal aliens; deport them. Period.

Old 07-24-2016, 06:53 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Illegal immigration became a tidal wave in the 80's and peaked in 2005/6 with the housing bubble.

Bush 2 ran on a platform of Immigration Reform/ Amnesty, twice. He was the last Republican to get more than 40% of the Hispanic vote. His admin pitched. Congress, controlled by his party declined to play ball and instead, kicked the can.

Fast forward to the Obama years, a bipartisan Senate Committee developed another Immigration Reform / Pathway Bill which was approved by the Senate. The House declined to stand up and be counted and vote. Instead of developing an alternative bill, they kicked the can.

Prior to the nomination, Trump began softening his position on immigration and deportation. He referred to Obama as the Deported Chief and made clear he will show heart- have compassion. He has also made clear he intends to make it easier for people to immigrate and work in the US.

Regardless of campaign promises, Congress needs to take action.

Trump votes in Florida, a state dominated by Republican Governors and legislature for decades. Unique to Florida, it has multiple sanctuary counties.

Only a handful of states require all employers to use e- Verify. None of the former or current Governors who ran for nomination require e-Verify.

Powerful lobbies, like the Chamber of Commerce, oppose e- Verify.

ICE employs 20,000, not all of whom are Immigration Agents who operate in more than 400 domestic and international offices. 20,000 vs 11-12 million illegals does not compute. It will be necessary to substantially increase the size of government and provide states with funding to begin to make a dent. Congress controls the purse strings.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:02 AM

35,692 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:

You have to go see what Americans do in other countries- they way they carry themselves- overtake- demolish ways of living and even though the slave trade is closed- they still doing it- but with very low pay - The UGLY American with the Europeans have always had this uppity- I am better attitude- which the entire human race hates. Big money buys and exploit ALL. Many of your illegals are here with a reason. - and although we want to blame the illegals-They have an invitation card from the big corps. We are in denial. Yet some will agree this is true - but then defend capitalism to the teeth. We want to blame the Mexican poppy farmers for our addictions?
It is like the maid who works for the missus since she was 11- and the old husband geezer has been abusing her for years-- and now becomes pregnant and she claims rights to the plantation--
yep it is just like that - but go bury selves back in the denial page of the Rep. agenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies