Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:59 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
Another thread about Black people.

Changing laws is the best way to put an end to Police misconduct. Having cookouts are a waste of time and does nothing to change the current situation is basically what has been said.
What polices?

One organizer told the cops, "she doesn't eat with pigs, she eats them" is this really what you spend time sticking up for?

Changing laws will not change the criminal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 01:02 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,164,508 times
I wouldn't either.

I'd be damned if I were to go "picnic" with an organization that includes members who have been murdering my family, and sit there passively discussing how we can all "get along" better while they continue to shield the perpetrators and smile in my face. Especially when someone there may have fresh blood on his hands.

If the cops want to have the air cleared, they can start by ceasing the murders and cover-ups, investigating the old complains of violence and police brutality and getting rid of those who's actions show a pattern of abuse or violence.

This is not a social issue that calls for a meet and greet. This is a criminal issue that calls for investigation, court rooms, and findings of fact - followed up by prison sentences.

After that, we can talk about a get-together. But this publicity stunt is NOT the right first move.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 07-27-2016 at 01:32 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,381,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The ones that hold law enforcement and those who are having laws enforced against them to different standards.

It is NOT acceptable to just say "oops, my bad".

Which laws allow for that? Please cite the specific legislation, as I'm not aware of anything of the sort.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Let's end the drug war. Let people sell single cigarettes as part of that.

Is selling loosies really that big of an issue? I realize it was the catalyst for Eric Garner's final encounter with police, but outside of that.....?

I certainly support legalizing marijuana. Legalizing heroin, coke, crystal, etc? I'm not sold on that idea by a long shot.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Eric Garner was killed for being suspected of selling loose cigarettes on a street corner........yes, it's possible he was guilty of that "crime".

You don't see a problem here?

<sigh>

No, he wasn't. If you want to have a discussion, let's be accurate about the facts.

He died as a result of (excessive?) force, coupled with a banned (or at least not SOP) restraint technique, used against him when he resisted arrest.

To say "He was killed for selling loosies." is intellectually dishonest, at best, and intentionally deceptive, at worst.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by key2success View Post
Right and it says in the article why they dont support it, the cookout has nothing to do with their mission

A tweet from the D.C. chapter of BlackLivesMatter said the BBQ is not in line with the principals of the national organization. Cullors said the event in Wichita doesn't bring about change.

We don't sit on panels with law enforcement, and we don't have BBQ's or cookouts with law enforcement. We feel the best method at this point in history is by holding police accountable by organizing and advocating for police accountability," Collors said.

Do you guys get it now. Its a waste of time for them and their mission

I see this repeated over and over again: "held accountable". Which of these high profile police killings did not go before a Grand Jury, at least, let alone a full trial in most cases?

THAT IS ACCOUNTABILITY. It sounds like what they want is an automatic/guaranteed conviction and that is simply not how our justice system works - and rightfully so.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:26 AM

Quote:
She should get angry if need be?

Rarely do you see people being combative right from the start.

Sandra Bland wasn't happy but she did what was asked until the officer took it too far and started harassing her.

Eric Garner was polite at first. Do you think the cops were going to stop and allow him to get a lawyer?

One should strive to be polite to everyone. The police have to understand that people do NOT have to be.

Rude or not they can only go as far as what is legal.

Is selling loose cigarettes illegal in New York? Yes, demonstrably so. Were the police justified in arresting him for doing so? Yes, obviously. Is resisting arrest also against the law, yes, demonstrably so. Did Eric Garner resist? Yes, it's right there on the video.

His case and the poor woman in the body cavity search case are apples and footballs.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Which laws allow for that? Please cite the specific legislation, as I'm not aware of anything of the sort.
Then you haven't been paying attention.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 AM

Quote:
<sigh>

No, he wasn't. If you want to have a discussion, let's be accurate about the facts.

He died as a result of (excessive?) force, coupled with a banned (or at least not SOP) restraint technique, used against him when he resisted arrest.

To say "He was killed for selling loosies." is intellectually dishonest, at best, and intentionally deceptive, at worst.
None of what you stated happens if not for the city missing out on a dollar or two in taxes and instructing the force to crack down on it.

He died because the city could not stand the idea of someone not paying the proper tax on a cigarette.

If I use a banned procedure at work and someone is killed, I don't have to wonder what would happen to my job. I would be fired in a second. Not so if you are a NYC police officer going after a few weeks extra cents in taxes.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Is selling loose cigarettes illegal in New York? Yes, demonstrably so. Were the police justified in arresting him for doing so? Yes, obviously. Is resisting arrest also against the law, yes, demonstrably so. Did Eric Garner resist? Yes, it's right there on the video.
He wasn't doing so. He was simply recognized as someone who had done so in the past. The police were called over a fight.

It is NOT against the law to resist an illegal search.

Quote:
His case and the poor woman in the body cavity search case are apples and footballs.
Both were the results of illegal searches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies