Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 09:32 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
A. That's true--70 percent of black people do not live in those areas.
B. Even a lot of black people who do live in the hood are not hoods.
People concentrate on the hoods more than anyone else. Bad gets far more attention than good. Saying that Blacks are all about the payback is a farce. How many Blacks actually speak about "the payback". Maybe 1 percent of the population, and they scream louder than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 09:54 AM

6,928 posts, read 5,900,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People concentrate on the hoods more than anyone else. Bad gets far more attention than good. Saying that Blacks are all about the payback is a farce. How many Blacks actually speak about "the payback". Maybe 1 percent of the population, and they scream louder than anyone else.
Well, to be fair, there IS a ton of pretense running through all discussions racial. In fact, almost everything is in code.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:02 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I appreciate the civility in your post.
If we were to carry that thought out further, however, we get the notion that I can never have ideas or opinions about anything black because I am not black. And of course, you can not have ideas or opinions about anything white because you are not white.
I don't agree with that.
Doing this isn't "carrying out the thought", it's misunderstanding my post. Anyone can have an opinion or idea. It won't mean that their opinion or idea is accurate or justified. Someone making an overarching generalization falls into the this category. Especially when they have very little experience with what they're talking about...

Old 07-25-2016, 10:02 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Well, to be fair, there IS a ton of pretense running through all discussions racial. In fact, almost everything is in code.
In short, you don't know for sure. You are saying things without any proof.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:07 AM

7,269 posts, read 4,208,776 times
i don't know what these posters who are constantly starting threads about perceived black injustice are hoping to accomplish here. they are not going to change one mind or do anything that achieves change. if they want to do that they need to go do it - not sit behind their computer and post to a message board.

same goes for voters. nothing is going to change by going back and forth on a message board among a limited group of people that can take time to post.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:19 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
i don't know what these posters who are constantly starting threads about perceived black injustice are hoping to accomplish here. they are not going to change one mind or do anything that achieves change. if they want to do that they need to go do it - not sit behind their computer and post to a message board.

same goes for voters. nothing is going to change by going back and forth on a message board among a limited group of people that can take time to post.
To be fair, nothing is being accomplished by posting on CD. CD is a place where white nationalist ideas are all over the place and people like me dismantle their ridiculous ideas...

Old 07-25-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Doing this isn't "carrying out the thought", it's misunderstanding my post. Anyone can have an opinion or idea. It won't mean that their opinion or idea is accurate or justified. Someone making an overarching generalization falls into the this category. Especially when they have very little experience with what they're talking about...
Well, you can shoot the messenger all you want, if it makes you feel better about the sad truth in 2016.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, you don't know for sure. You are saying things without any proof.
Yes, quite right, quite right. Let's get all of this into the laboratory.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post

Then simply don't read those threads, good God, man.

Old 07-25-2016, 10:26 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,924,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I would be willing to bet that far more black people are regular folks living the normal American life than are living in "the hood" protesting at a BLM event. The biggest injustice against black people has been carried out by the media who has portrayed the typical black person as a resident of a place like Detroit or Ferguson who hates the cops, carries a huge racial chip and dodges bullets when he/she steps out of the house.
The urge to push-back against the ignorance of the o.p. premise is understandable. I fear that in the rush to do that, however, an equally inaccurate portrayal of black America as a community that is doing 'just fine thank you' wants to establish itself. The black middle class is actually very small. Among minorities, blacks have an amazing number of super high achievers living above a middle class standard and a depressingly large number living below a middle class standard. There is much more balance between these groups in other minorities, and especially among whites where, although shrinking, the middle class is 50% of the total. No other racial group is missing 3 million of its men! Every other group of Americans has equal numbers of men and women. And the male attrition is ongoing. I would like to see a healthy obsession about black people develop in the hearts and minds of those very people who want to think that black people are just fine thank you. We ain't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies