U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 04:01 PM

40,542 posts, read 40,030,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
That makes zero sense. I guess people in the trades aren't consumers.

This has already been addressed, and you are totally stuck in the 60s. They are taking good jobs now... you need to join reality.
People keep saying this horse manure about them doing jobs that Americans don't want and that isn't completely true.

Take a look at any construction site today. I've been on construction sites for 25 plus years and I've seen tons and tons of what used to be good paying jobs go to Latinos, I don't know how many were/are illegal but common sense tells us that a huge influx of people that they all can't be legal.

These people are taking jobs that used to pay decently, they've driven down wages and took jobs from Americans. Painters, drywallers, flooring, carpenters, even some of the more skilled trades such as electricians have seen an influx of people taking those jobs too.

Latinos tend to have large families and the infrastructure can't handle too many people. If you're making 12 bucks and hour and have 3 or 4 kids in the system you aren't paying enough into the system via taxes, definitely not a net sum zero situation here.

California is especially suffering, too many illegals here. I know that isn't a pleasant sounding thing to say or ever hear, but it's the truth.

We need controlled immigration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 04:07 PM

5,245 posts, read 3,761,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post

For starters, picking produce in the ag fields of our country.

Our landscaper/gardner works around our bldg twice a week
And don't forget the hotel beds they change and the houses they clean and the.............

Does anyone understand (aside from all the typical arguments for and against people being allowed to come into this country illegally), that those FOR illegal immigration are advocating for an entire, sanctioned system of second class citizenship and using illegals "desire for a better life" as justification?

A system where we can justify an entire group of people doing all of our menial work (while at the same time feeling smug and satisfied with ourselves for being so open minded, caring and empathetic to the plight of our neighbors to the south)?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:20 PM

1,513 posts, read 983,991 times
I remember that show. Yes, people in our country do dirty work.
Props to you for bringing this up!

Old 07-25-2016, 04:22 PM

13,607 posts, read 7,435,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
And don't forget the hotel beds they change and the houses they clean and the.............

Does anyone understand (aside from all the typical arguments for and against people being allowed to come into this country illegally), that those FOR illegal immigration are advocating for an entire, sanctioned system of second class citizenship and using illegals "desire for a better life" as justification?

A system where we can justify an entire group of people doing all of our menial work (while at the same time feeling smug and satisfied with ourselves for being so open minded, caring and empathetic to the plight of our neighbors to the south)?
Good point. They are smug, especially like the OP, bragging about putting a few dollars in a yard man's pocket.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM

23,787 posts, read 8,308,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post

I've been in the state of CA 50 yrs but never took the time to study it's history with Mexico. This was all mexican land until we took it from them or something like this. So Much of CA is Spanish influence, streets, towns, foods etc etc etc. I will read up on the history one of these days. Maybe others need to.

And it's not just Mexicans, we have many from Viet Nam. What a mess we did over there. They are Happy to be here.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 PM

23,787 posts, read 8,308,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Good point. They are smug, especially like the OP, bragging about putting a few dollars in a yard man's pocket.
I'm doing that for me, a $5 now and then and buys him a gallon of gas. Makes me feel better...if that's smug I don't buy it. I'd love to give him a $20 but I live on lower income. Giving is receiving. He's a hard worker and never complains...unlike here.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:26 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,015,875 times
more white guilt.... tsk tsk

Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Stop bashing people who have lost jobs to illegals. These are jobs they absolutely want to do!!!

Tens of thousands of construction jobs have been lost to undercutting crews. YOU have no clue what the truth is because it hasn't effected YOU, so when you say "work these people do that YOU and ME do not want to do" you are speaking about you, not everyone.

I lost my business of 30 years to undercutting crews.

This person is ignorant of facts. Sure, maybe most Americans don't want to pick fruit, but that is a myopic view AND a stereotype to believe illegals only take such jobs.

This ridiculous meme these people believe and constantly parrot is mind numbingly ignorant.
Who did it before all the cheap illegal labor came?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:30 PM

22,952 posts, read 22,560,704 times
Quote:
I've been in the state of CA 50 yrs but never took the time to study it's history with Mexico. This was all mexican land until we took it from them or something like this. So Much of CA is Spanish influence, streets, towns, foods etc etc etc. I will read up on the history one of these days. Maybe others need to.

And it's not just Mexicans, we have many from Viet Nam. What a mess we did over there. They are Happy to be here.
Ahh the ignorance, how about looking up the history of the state before raking others over the coals for some perceived injustice?

Old 07-25-2016, 04:32 PM

6,981 posts, read 4,463,412 times
Quote:
This goes on and on at this group. Did anyone ever think all the work these people do that YOU and ME do not want to do.

For starters, picking produce in the ag fields of our country. And many die from heat stroke and horrible back issues and knee issues from being in the ground picking OUR FOODS.

Our landscaper/gardner works around our bldg twice a week and does me favors and I will give him a little cash now and then, which he refuses but I push it in his pocket. He is the best person and never a complaint.

Then, just talking to my neighbor who has to be in a rehab facility now going on a month as she fell and broke her shoulder. Who do you think works around the clock in those facilities, people from so many parts of the world...doing so much dirty work that WE do not want to do. Cleaning up s**t, changing adult diapers, helping people walk....You want to do this kind of work?

Then there are a ones who are hired to clean houes, clean toilets, take care of children.

Stop and think about this all you spoiled americans and STOP the bashing. Be thankful when you spend your unemployment and welfare checks and spend your food stamps.
who's bashing non americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies