U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 08:32 AM

14,188 posts, read 6,432,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bklynkenny View Post
It seems like a lot of the people on this thread don't use facebook. I wonder how many people do care and are active users. Doesnt seem like it's that many.
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
I think the poster meant there was no demand for an alternative to FB
A previous post of his.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 08:38 AM

1,560 posts, read 1,550,544 times
An even bigger threat is arguably Twitter, which I'm otherwise a huge fan of. Just last week they kicked-off a gay conservative leader (Milo something) from the network because he dared tell one of the actresses of the new Ghostbusters movie how dreadful her performance was. They claimed it was "hate" speech, but they let liberals talk a lot worse to conservatives.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 AM

1,598 posts, read 826,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashes1 View Post
An even bigger threat is arguably Twitter, which I'm otherwise a huge fan of. Just last week they kicked-off a gay conservative leader (Milo something) from the network because he dared tell one of the actresses of the new Ghostbusters movie how dreadful her performance was. They claimed it was "hate" speech, but they let liberals talk a lot worse to conservatives.
yeh, sure, that was all he did

Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 AM

10,462 posts, read 5,930,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
If they are "long lost" then they aren't your real friends or family anyway. Just because you knew someone in high school does not make them your friend.
Nonsense. I had a roommate in college, one of the most influential people in my life as he taught me that there was more to life than sports and hamburgers. I had tried to reconnect with him over they years but had his last name misspelled, hadn't seen him since 1980 after he moved to St. Louis. He found me on FB and it is awesome. So did the son of my dad's best friend. We were tight growing up but he has been in another state since we were 16 so naturally we lost touch. Now we have reconnected through FB and it's great as well. To say these people weren't or aren't my friends is just stupid.

Recently I left my card in the ATM. The guy behind me grabbed it, found me on FB, and returned it. Seems like Facebook has worked out pretty well for me. Again if you don't like it don't use it but telling others we are wrong for enjoying it is again very very stupid.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 07-27-2016 at 09:16 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 09:09 AM

2,339 posts, read 1,411,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
A previous post of his.
I did mean alternative.

There are of course a lot of Facebook users, but how many of those users are demanding more conservative news stories? Based on what I see on this thread, not many. Maybe the users tend to lean towards the left. Maybe those who lean to the right don't care to use Facebook at all.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:10 AM

24,803 posts, read 9,664,865 times
What a compelling subject. I'm glued to my seat.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:21 AM

7,281 posts, read 8,876,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Nonsense. I had a roommate in college, one of the most influential people in my life as he taught me that there was more to life than sports and hamburgers. I had tried to reconnect with him over they years but had his last name misspelled, hadn't seen him since 1980. He found me on FB and it is awesome. So did the son of my dad's best friend. We were tight growing up but he has been in another state since we were 16 so naturally we lost touch. Now we have reconnected through FB and it's great as well. To say these people weren't or aren't my friends is just stupid.

Recently I left my card in the ATM. The guy behind me grabbed it, found me on FB, and returned it. Seems like Facebook has worked out pretty well for me. Again if you don't like it don't use it but telling others we are wrong for enjoying it is again very very stupid.
That post highlight what Fecebook is such a scourge.

Not seeing someone since 1980. Perhaps if people maintained contact with important people in their lives instead of reducing them to posts on Fecebook or a few tiwts on Twatter human contact bonds would become what is important instead of the 5" screen you carry in your pocket.

How many people leave cards in ATMs, forget things because they are so engrossed in Fecebook and whatever someone they know casually thinks about the Kardashians?

You don't naturally lose contact with people important to you, even if you move. What this proves is that Fecebook is more important than those people and those people are just a tool within Fecebook, they stopped becoming the priority when that screen got turned on and reality turned into a two dimensional image.

No insult intended toward the poster but the content of the post highlights how the ends justify the means.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:30 AM

1,166 posts, read 553,638 times
Ironic that conservatives believe that businesses owned by Christians should be able to refuse service to someone based on sexual orientation but they freak their chit when a private business treats them the same way and refuses to do business with them.

You either believe in the right of a business owner to refuse to provide service or you don't. The situational principles that many conservatives seem to have is ridiculous.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:45 AM

211 posts, read 89,656 times
It seems that many on the Left love the fact that the biggest tech and social media companies actively censor and suppress Conservative ideas and voices.

Lets take a look at few examples:

Facebook:
Just last week they were caught blatantly blocking links to WikiLeaks' DNC email leaks. They've been caught suppressing Conservative pages and links to sites like Breitbart. Their 'trending' section isn't based on an algorithm as to what people are talking about, but a curated list from a team of young Ivy League grads who are picking and choosing what is a trending story.

Unfortunately, Facebook is not going to face a rival any time soon. Not even Google could put a dent in how entrenched Facebook's position is.

Twitter:
They banned Milo Yiannpolous with the flimsiest of reasons for criticizing Leslie Jones, who did EXACTLY what Twitter unfairly banned Milo for. They've been caught shadowbanning trending hashtags they don't like, like #TrigglyPuff and #TheTriggering to prevent people from seeing opinions they don't want you to hear. They allow posts about killing cops by BLM members with no consequence either.

WikiLeaks is fed up with Twitter's biased censorship and is threatening to make a rival platform that doesn't censor posts based on political ideology.

Reddit:
Their moderators have been caught countless times banning people from what are supposed to be objective political subs for completely fair posts. Say anything critical of Bernie in /r/politics or /r/news and your post will be banned, with lame excuses like "off-topic". What's worse, is that they will reject any positive Republican or negative Democrat story that's submitted. The moderators aren't mods, they're gatekeepers picking what stories they want posted and who gets to post. They've come under heavy criticism lately for banning completely legitimate stories like the shooting in Dallas and other high profile stories because they reflect negatively on the Left or positively on the Right.

Rival platform voat.co was created to give a place where a handful of highly biased people don't get carte blanche power over what stories are posted and who gets to post.

Google:
Its been discovered that Google is also manipulating search suggestions to cover for Hillary.

Search for "Hillary Clinton Ind" on Bing or Yahoo and it returns
"Hillary Clinton Indictment"
however, searching for it on Google returns:
"Hillary Clinton India" or "Hillary Clinton Indiana"

It won't suggest 'indictment' no matter how many letters you type. It comes to the surface that one of the big wigs at Google is directly connected to the Clintons, and they're actively suppressing searches that paint her negatively.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:52 AM

22,494 posts, read 10,414,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
The world needs a social media site like Facebook that isn't censored. Facebook has become the propaganda arm of the left with all the censorship.

What say you?
If you don't like it, don't use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies